[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /ck/ like black beans Soak it overnight? Soak it the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11
File: download (2).jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9 KB, 225x225
How does /ck/ like black beans

Soak it overnight? Soak it the morning off? Simmer for how long? so on so forth

Give me your secrets cu/ck/s
>>
>>7357412
>implying I would teach you gringos how to make them
>>
File: 1448586412984.jpg (193 KB, 640x905) Image search: [Google]
1448586412984.jpg
193 KB, 640x905
this is now a beans general thread.
throw up your favorite way to make beans

>how i do beans
>aka dis niggas 5 hour bean soup
>soak for an hour or so in hot water
>drain
>add beans to water (I like crockpot)
>how much water depends on amount of broth u want, must be at least 2:1 ratio
add pepper, onions, or whatever u like (cayenne and chilies go here)
>cook for 3 hours
>add salt now
>PROTIP: add taco seasoning too
>cook for 1 more hour or until beans are tender
muddafukin beans
>>
>>7357782
please pablo. I have 2 lbs black beans, 2lbs red beans, and 4 lbs lentils and no fucking clue what to do with them
>>
File: 1439931606220.jpg (23 KB, 594x334) Image search: [Google]
1439931606220.jpg
23 KB, 594x334
>>7357796
stop asking the mayate what to do with your beans he obviously doesn't know.

1)bean soup
2)refried beans
2.5)bean dip
3)chili

>8 lbs of legumes
>that much beany goodness
>not making chili and soup forever
pendejo
>>
>>7357796
Fine.

You can either soak the black beans overnight cold, or you can do a quick soak by putting them in cold water and bringing it to a boil for a few minutes, then taking it off the heat and soaking for just an hour or two. Throw the soaking water out after that's finished, if you don't it will give you gas, and discard any floaters because they usually won't cook well.

For best results, use stock to cook them, but plain water will also work fine. Don't add salt during the cooking process because it will increase the chances that the beans won't get soft enough. Add salt to taste once they're finished cooking. You can add some bacon to the liquid though, that's not salty enough to mess it up and it gives some good flavor. Too cook them, just cover them with your liquid, bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, then check on them every so often until they're finished. If you're in a huge rush you can add a pinch of baking soda to make them go a tad faster.

The good part comes once the beans are done cooking. Set them aside and make your sofrito. You'll need tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, culantro (if you can find it), and salt to taste. Dice everything, and in a pan on medium heat with olive oil, cook the onions until they're translucent, then add the tomatoes, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook that until the garlic doesn't smell raw and the tomatoes and bell peppers are soft and cooked through, then add the cilantro and culantro to taste. Cook it for a couple more minutes, then mix it into the black beans and heat it up on the stove if it's gotten cold.

The leftovers will taste even better after spending a night in the fridge.
>>
I prefer pinto beans. soak for 12 hours at room temp then pressure cook for 8 minutes. I have 100 pounds of pinto beans. I'm set for 6 months at least.
>>
File: 1448752441151.gif (626 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1448752441151.gif
626 KB, 300x300
>>7357844
>adding bacon to everything
>not using trail jerky
no me gusta cabron

the veggie fry sounds good tho.
>>
Cook machaca (chuck roast, cumin, onion) in a crock pot, leave juice behind.

Add one white onion, a clove of garlic, fresh ground cumin, and some chopped tomato, along with a lb of dry beans. Cook over low for 6 hours.

Refry in lard if desired.
>>
>>7357412
I just use the quick soak method. Boil it for a minute or two, cover with lid for an hour, drain, rinse, boil for another hour. I usually eat them with brown rice, mix a big ass dish of them and put shredded Parmesan and seasoning salt on top. Lasts for two days, costs like, two dollars.
>>
refried in duck fat
>>
>>7357959

Ooooooh. Never tried that, but that's a fucking great idea. Like a Mexican casoulet almost . . . .
>>
Any advice for high altitude bean cooking?

I live in Denver, a mile above sea-level, and it takes forever to cook beans. Just the other day, it took me 2 1/2 hours to cook a pound of kidney beans on the stove....
>>
>>7358814
pressure cooker, obviously.......
>>
>>7357786
>>7357844
>>7357863
>>7357937

Your traditional reminder that there is no actual benefit to soaking your beans before cooking, and that it actually ruins the quality of the finished beans.
>>
I shove them up my ass and go to a public restroom and just pretend to wash my hands or whatever until I see someone go into a stall. Then I go into the stall right next to the them and pretend I have the machine gun shits while screaming profusely.

Then I come home and shitpost on /ck/
>>
>>7359020
You have truly built a life for yourself, my friend.
>>
I like beans in my chili.
>>
>>7359017
If I didn't soak the pinto beans, I'd have to cook them in the pressure cooker for 30 minutes. That is kinda dangerous. The less time in the pressure cooker, the better.
>>
I usually soak over night and then cook in a crockpot with onions, garlic, peppers and cumin. I like to eat them with bread or quinoa.
>>
1. Heavily salt water, add beans, bring to boil, remove from heat.
2. Soak until beans have swollen to their original size, or longer if you please. overnight is acceptable, and will reduce cook time.
3. drain and rinse beans, set aside.
4. in a pan deep enough to cook the beans, add a lump of grasa, a splash of olive oil.
5. At a med/low heat, sweat some onion down, adding garlic towards the end. Season with black pepper.
6.add beans to pot, add water, bring to boil.
7. boil until water has reduced and beans have reached desired consistency. add water as needed.
>>
>inb4 canned

I use canned pintos, drain some of it and pour it into a pot on the stove top. Add onion, garlic, serrano, cilantro, and yes bacon. Simmer for a long time and it's fucking delicious.
>>
>>7359680
>canned
>>
File: 415y8r1IK8L._SY300_.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
415y8r1IK8L._SY300_.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
Crockpot.
>>
>>7357782
>implying I don't just have your mamacita make me some whenever I want
>>
>>7357796
three bean soup my friend
grab a hamhock from the grocery store, if you can't find one, salt pork or bacon will work but hamhock is preferred, and if using salt port be sparring with it, they call it SALT pork for a reason
onion
chiles or pepper of choice
celery
chix broth
beer of choice
black pepper
juice a lime
thyme
cumin
chili powder
and cook that shit all day.
>>
>>7359790
guess I should add, amount of each ingredient is up to taste and how much beanse you're blanning to make
>>
so, makin beans tomorrow, store didn't have any hamhocks, pork necks were scrawny as fuark and so were pork knuckles, so I opted to try pork tails, is dis gun be gud or did I fuck up?
>>
>>7360222
bump: anyone have experience with pig tails?
>>
>>7360222
Try it and report the results.
>>
>>7360971
will do. if this thread is gone, I'll just start one with a pic of said pork tails
>>
throw them in the pressure cooker for 40 minutes
>>
File: tmp_13156-images(4)-1897887957.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
tmp_13156-images(4)-1897887957.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
>>7361005
This. With a habenero and little bit of vinegar and boil in down to a paste. Salt and pepper and bay leaf optional.

I made pic related today (dhal) with half yellow split peas and half red lentils.
>>
>>7359145
That is also untrue.

>>7359195
>>7359218
DON'T SOAK YOUR FUCKING BEANS YOU STUPID FAGGOTS
IT'S AN OLD WIVES TALE
IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING
>>
>>7361489
Softens them and they cook faster. Youre an idiot
>>
>>7361489
Please proceed with citing your source on this. I am very intrigued into what kind of tinhatter feels this strongly about soaking beans.
>>
>>7361506
>>7361508
Every fucking time someone makes a thread about beans, I have to roll this shit out. I might as well put it in a text file for copy-paste.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-dont-soak-dried-beans-20140911-story.html

"But cooking unsoaked beans is not new. No less an authority than noted Mexican cookbook writer Diana Kennedy has advocated it for years. "If you want the best-flavored beans, don't soak them overnight, but start cooking in hot water," she says in "The Cuisines of Mexico" (Harper & Row: 1972)."

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/soaking-black-beans-faq.html

"So what's the conclusion? Well it seems obvious:don't bother soaking your black beans. Un-soaked beans taste better, cook almost as quickly, have great texture, and don't cause significantly worse problems for the digestive system."

http://ruhlman.com/2011/03/how-to-cook-dried-beans/

"One thing that is demonstrably true is that you don’thaveto soak your beans overnight; if you want beans for dinner, put them in water and cook them till they’re tender or at least edible, no soaking, no blanching, just put them in a pot and cook them."
>>
File: bueno.png (78 KB, 747x881) Image search: [Google]
bueno.png
78 KB, 747x881
>>7361538
Bien amigo, bien.

All those extra steps are just a waste of time.
>>
>>7361538
Too bad it's nonsense since there are scientific studies going back decades showing that soaking reduces oligosaccharide fiber content of all legumes and thereby reduces bloating. It's also true that it reduces cooking time significantly (by several hours)

So "it doesn't do anything " just means you're an idiot who believes random things he finds on the internet to be contrarian rather than to be fact-based.

The next "old wives' tale" that people have about soaking beans is that you should use baking soda in the soaking water. Too bad this is also true because there are studies showing that soaking is more effective in alkaline solutions and less effective in acidic solutions.
>>
Unsoaked boiled for how long it takes to get the texture right (between 1 and 4 hours, it varies hugely).

>>7361762

citation needed if you're going to mention studies.
>>
>>7361762
I cited my sources, you cite yours. Otherwise fuck off with your pseudoscientific technobabble.

If a refutation from a forty year old cookbook isn't enough proof, then you're clearly beyond the point of convincing and aren't going to contribute anything meaningful to the conversation, like a fundamentalist Christian.
>>
>>7361489
I've cook hundreds of pounds of pinto beans. I know beans. shut up.
>>
>>7357786
soaking is a meme
>>
ok bruhs, and bruhettes, let's stop arguing about soaking and actually make some beans. I'm obviously the guy with the pigtails from earlier. not gonna post a pic cause phone is on the charge and these things look like dragon dildos. so now I've got the tails goin in a pot with water, liquid smoke, habenero hot sauce, bay leave, ground mustard, cumin, chili, and minced garlic. later when they've had plenty of time on the boil I'll shred whatever meat there is off the "bone" add a beer, onions, serranos and black beans(dried not canned)

anywho if anyone actually cares then I'll keep the thread informed of my progress and how it turns out
>>
>>7361489
How else will I activate my beans though?
>>
>>7362768
just soaking in water won't activate your beans, you need a catalyst
>>
>>7362375
You and your meme sources are wrong
Source: I'm Mexican
>>
>>7357959
you mean fried well right
>>
>>7359680
If you're going to simmer it for a long time anyway just use dried beans
>>
>>7357844
>and discard any floaters because they usually won't cook well.
This sounds pretty macabre. Would /ck/ eat a corpse?
>>
>>7357412
I usually soak beans overnight and then simmer them in whatever I'm planning to make for a few hours.

Just made some red beans and rice yesterday. Soaked the beans overnight then drained and rinsed them. Cooked up some bacon, onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, thyme etc, put in some ham hocks to brown for a few minutes then dumped in the beans and chicken stock and simmered it for like 3-4 hours.
>>
>>7366554
his whole post is pure meme, except the part about tempering the beans in the fridge, except i would say a fridge is actually too cold to temper your starch

soaking, floaters (i do remove floaters, but for voodoo reasons), salting the beans preventing softness is untrue. if your beans are rubberising because of salt, you are letting the water get too low. adding salt at the start of the cooking process permeates the beans in a whole different way, and the earthen flavors become much more mediated, which he is trying to do with bacon, which i dont use or recommend
>>
>>7366580
and if your water is getting too low, you are cooking too hot. beans need to be cooked very slowly and at gentler temperature
>>
File: Feijoada.jpg (90 KB, 710x395) Image search: [Google]
Feijoada.jpg
90 KB, 710x395
>>
So I had a chance to travel through a few of the latin countries and while I've had good beans in all over, the best beans I had were in Cuba. They were a lot thinner than I had them in other countries, almost soupy. The food in Cuba was pretty crap for the most part but they had their beans on point.

The lady who cooked them just smiled when I asked for the recipe :(
>>
You don't need to soak pinto beans at all, when I've done it before it's maybe half an hour to an hour less of cooking time, but draining a big ass pot is more trouble than it's worth honestly, and the beans definitely have more flavor without a presoak+drain. Not sure about black beans but I think they're supposed to be gritty (aka "meaty") no matter how long you cook them. Also I don't add salt while their cooking not only because of the broscience but also because I'd rather just salt the beans to taste with whatever meal they accompany rather than having a preset salt quantity that I can't change later.
>>
File: DSCN7053.jpg (155 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7053.jpg
155 KB, 800x600
the goat way to cook any beans is to soak them for at least 12 hours, rinse and cover with water, bring to a boil and ladle them into jars and pressure can them according to your altitude and canner type

they turn out absolutely perfect every time and with only slightly more effort than just cooking a batch of beans you get convenient, perfect, preservative free canned beans to pop open whenever you need them
>>
I don't like mine soupy.

I generally make them only when I make burritos.

I'll start them first.

Wash them off. Boil them for an hour to two hours until their tender. Wash them off again. Season. Good to go. In the meantime, I'll do my rice, meat, veggies, accordingly so to time.
>>
How picky are you guys with your beans when you sort them? I throw out all the deformed, wrinkled and oddly colored beans, even ones that are only slightly different from average. Am I missing out on flavortown?
>>
There actually is a secret. Kelp.
>>
>>7367032
They all taste the same whether they're deformed or not.
>>
>>7367011
>until their tender
>their

Literal autism.
>>
>>7367077
there their they're, anon, it's going to be okay
>>
>>7367077
I'm drunk. Give me a break.
>>
>>7367092
so drunk that you punctuate every sentence. isnt it your bedtime
>>
>>7367132
I won't punctuate my sentences for now on

Thanks, faggot
>>
>>7367165
>I won't punctuate my sentences for now on
>uses a comma on the next line

You already failed. Just go to bed.
>>
>>7367189
don't be so punctilious about punctuation bruh
>>
>>7359195
just like green and red peppers or what?
>>
File: kiira.jpg (34 KB, 550x416) Image search: [Google]
kiira.jpg
34 KB, 550x416
>>7361538
>Mexican cookbook writer Diana Kennedy
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.