[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>trying to do meat on pan >instructions say that 5 minutes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
>trying to do meat on pan
>instructions say that 5 minutes for both sides
>have the meat on pan for 5 minutes
>flip it over
>it's dark as shit
>10 minutes is up and both sides have black shit
>taste the meat
>it's fucking raw

What the fuck.
>>
>>7356311
Sometimes you need to not set it on the '9' setting
>>
>>7356311

>Turning on the stovetop as high as it can go

MEDIUM TO MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT. NOT NUCLEAR
>>
1 - you can't eat the meat right after taking it out of the pan. meat continues to cook a lil bit with its own heat, and the meat becomes so much more juicier. that's why they say it need to "rest"
2 - i can only imagine your source of heat was to intense.
>>
>>7356314
>>7356318
I used the max to get the pan hot, but then when I put the meat on the pan I dropped it to the middle.
>>
Either you don't wash your skillets and pans and stuff, or it was up too high
>>
>>7356321
You're an idiot
>>
>>7356321

Never do that, just wait for it to heat up. Depending on your type of stove will vary how long it takes to heat up. If your pan steams without oil, it's too hot.
>>
>>7356321
Depending on your pan type and heat source this can work, but cast iron/iron elements both retain heat. This only really works for nonstick and gas heat sources
>>
>>7356325
do you feel better about yourself now?
>>
>>7356327
>>7356328
>>7356324
Alright, thanks.

>>7356345
No, he's right.
>>
>>7356345
>>>/reddit/
>>
Let the meat sit out and come to room temperature before tossing it in the pan.
>>
>>7356311
Your pan was too hot. That's what it boils down to- if the exterior of the meat is too dark while the inside isn't cooked enough, your heat is too high. Maybe in future sear in the pan to the desired brownness and then put the whole pan in the oven to finish cooking.
>>
>>7356311
>following instructions when cooking
Just give up already
>>
>>7356311
Pans too hot yo
>>
get an infrared thermometer. I have a $9 from sears that I used for working on cars and now use it almost exlusively for the stove top to see when the pan is exactly at 250/300/350.

It's also how I found out my pans are shit and some parts of the pan were 350+ while another spot inches away was reading 250, at least I finally figured out why i didn't get those picture perfect browned steaks whenever I grilled them
>>
>>7356376
That has literally been proven to do nothing.
>>
Why didn't you lift the steak up while it was cooking to check how its browning?

As long as its not sticking to the pan, its not going to ruin the steak if you lift it off the pan for a few seconds
>>
>>7356311
>>7356321

Did you use butter? The black might be from burnt butter.
>>
>>7356549
source?

it just makes sense that it would be a little more undercooked in the middle than the outside if you don't let it rest outside the fridge for a while.
>>
>>7356823
No, it doesn't make any sense at all. What matters is that the piece is uniform in temperature. In that case, it doesn't matter what the temperature is because the difference between the starting temperature and target temperature is also uniform across the meat. Problems only occur if, for example you cook a steak, or other food item, that is significantly colder in the center than on the outside.
>>
>>7356984
>What matters is that the piece is uniform in temperature. In that case, it doesn't matter what the temperature is because the difference between the starting temperature and target temperature is also uniform across the meat

>I have no idea how thermodynamics works please rape my face
>>
>>7356984
again, source? because what you're saying still makes less sense to me. I get what you mean but the outside of the meat is what comes in contact with the pan, therefore it will darken much faster than the inside, no?
>>
>>7356311
>10 minutes total on enough heat to char both sides
>raw inside

How? Even if you didn't rest it, I can't see it being anything less than medium in the centre, and that's stretching it massively. Was the meat thick enough to stop a bullet or are you just a pleb that considers anything not well done to be raw?
>>
>>7357022
>>7357100

Its like you idiots didn't even see that ine video jack did.
>>
Nobody has asked the key question yet..what does OP consider as "raw"? Plus he doesn't state the kind of meat he used other than "meat". I cook my chicken in a pan far different than a medium rare steak and I don't want the pan glowing red when I throw a chicken breast on there.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.