[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here actually works in the food industry? >had to peel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14
File: IMG_1685-e1422016142220.jpg (623 KB, 2399x2399) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1685-e1422016142220.jpg
623 KB, 2399x2399
Who here actually works in the food industry?
>had to peel the skin off of ~200 of these fuckers yesterday
the underside of my thumbnails are bruised as shit. I fucking hate this.
>>
Tell more about your job, man. Would like to know about it
>>
File: Avocado-1.jpg (99 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Avocado-1.jpg
99 KB, 600x400
they didn't give you a spoon?
>>
I work for a meatball food truck. I make 400-500 meatballs a day 3-5 times a week. I've made over 100,000 of these things.

;~;

it sucks but good money.
>>
I used to but yes prepping I s a repetitive and monotonous job. Restaurants go through a lot of fucking food it's crazy to see at that level sometimes
>>
>>7354971
to be fair i did this at a zoo with raw ground horse and got paid garbage so i mean things could be worse

i also had to peel skin off mice and gut/filet four inch long fish for several hours a day depending on what i was raising

i guess this is off topic sorry
>>
>>7354968
Well I just started a few days ago. Doesn't seem too hard. Everyone there is pretty alright aside from this one bitter 30 something with no wife and no kids who moved here from Arizona. The kitchen itself is tiny, tiny as hell for how much we're making. The place (it's a pub) hasn't officially opened yet so we're just prepping shit for the opening. The dish I was preparing was for these breaded avocados that are fried (this place has a TON of fried food). It's my first real job and I never knew how tiring it could be standing for so long and doing menial shit like portioning crab. It sucks, basically. Hopefully it'll get a little more fun once the place opens and I actually get on the line and start cooking.
>>7354970
Hmm, no. They wanted them to be in the exact shape (though I was fed up and just smashing the thing by the end of it).
>>7354971
Yeah, couldn't gone to a pizza place here in town for almost the same wage. But probably would have been bored as shit making the same thing over and over again.
>>
>>7354985
could have*
>>7354974
Yeah. The chef says I'll get on the line once it opens but I don't know if that's going to be true. I'd be fine grilling shit and making salads.
>>
i work at a shitty indian store. we never wash our hands, we drop vegetables all over the floor outside in the dirt and grass, drop hot samosas on the floor and just put em right back in the hot case thing , open up bags of chips take a couple bites and seal them back up with sealing machine and put em back on shelf , whenever all the vegetables go rotten we just put a 20 cents off sign on it no matter how disgusted the customers are, ummmmm what else
>>
I work setting up special events at a restaurant and as a server sometimes on weekends. Used to be full time.
When I started I used to help in the kitchen on the line. It was pretty okay. It was cool to see the Managers sweating and helping run food when it was busy and stressing out.
I don't do that anymore but i'm in the kitchen a lot and with the food.
I used to want to be a chef but working there made me change my mind.
I finished school and got different full time and just do it on weekends.
I hated it full time, i think restaurants are best worked at part time or you leave on drugs if you didn't come in on them already.
>>
File: 1451675114427.jpg (146 KB, 537x452) Image search: [Google]
1451675114427.jpg
146 KB, 537x452
>>7354964
>tfw someone sabotaged the food processor at work, so all the ingredients for making guacamole in bulk had to be chopped by hand
>>
>>7354964

I hate when there isn't enough prep done because the other workers spend all the slack time taking smoke breaks then make a mad scramble during service and finally take off without cleaning their stations when service is over. My only consolation is they will never leave the line or even get shift manager acting like that.
>>
Work in the meat department at a Sprouts. Basically an apprentice butcher at this point, I have the training on a bunch of cuts but am lacking in experience because we can't seem to hire somebody decent to do gourmet, so right now every shift is making sausages and burgers and such rather than production on steaks, chops, etc.

Gotten damn good at cranking the Dick, though. Pic related.
>>
>>7354964
How on earth do you need a food processor to make guac
We make buckets of it every day and its mashed by hand
>>
>>7354964
why did you have to do 200 avocados? What sort of cruel fuckery is that shit? Guacamole for some rich cunt's quinceanera?

I've had to do 200lbs of onions before - peeled and finely diced. I asked the exec. for an eye transplant with a melon baller in my hand - he got a good giggle.
>>
>>7355214
2 onions s&p cilantro garlic tomato pulse 4 times drain repeat, drain in a bowl. bowl filled get a bigger bowl mash avocados mix with onion tomato mix adjust s&p wala there is your 15 cup 2 minute guac
>>
>>7355214
the avocados are reasonably easy to do by hand if they're ripe, but getting anything else you're going to toss in there involves quite a few cuts if you're doing large scale. Some places get pretty over-the-top with it. I had to warn a sous-chef once that the prep team would quit on the spot if she went through with a shallot guac for the "gourmet" nachos. That place did a lot of $20 nachos.

To this day, one of my questions for new hires is "What does smoked gruyere have to do with nachos?" If they give any indication that they worked at that shithole, I know that they can take any nonsense I might throw at them.
>>
>>7355033
Do you know who did it and their motive? And how did they? Just put something hard and damaging in there?
>>
>>7355287
>>7355033
the robocoupe at the first restaurant I worked at was broken more often than not. I will never grate that much cheese by hand ever again.
>>
Well, I work at a Starbucks. It's a pretty shitty job, but I've put on a good amount of muscle since starting there. All the free whey protein and fruit smoothies I want, so I can finally afford to bulk.
>>
>>7354974
I find prepping really relaxing.
>>
>>7355223
It wasn't 200 avocados, but avocado quarters.
They're for a popular dish: quartered avocados, dredged in flour, egg wash, panko breading, fried. Apparently people eat this.
>>
>>7355562
I've had them tempura'd... not my favourite thing, and I couldn't see ever serving that many on a shift, but I guess different places breed different demographics.
>>
I worked at a place called Pita Pit over the summer, it's a build-your-own pita place where most people just spend >$12 on either glorified hot dogs or absurd mishmashes of a bajillion toppings that can't even begin to taste good together.

Peeling a day's worth of onions in that small, unventilated back kitchen is a hell i will never forget
>>
>>7355505
Fuck yeah man, same here. Especially if you work somewhere good, just making sure everything you prep is as close to perfect as you can get it is so nice. Plus being proud of the food you put out is a big plus. I find cleaning relaxing too honestly, although conversely I get pissed pretty quickly if shit isn't clean.
>>
>>7354964
I shuck oysters all day, cry more about peeling avocados faggot
>>
>>7355137
>dick
>sausages
They really knew what they were doing.
>>
used to work as a dishwasher for brunch
i made the dopest tater tots
>>
>>7354964
I do. Guac is irritating to prep in bulk, so I feel your pain. I used to have to do like a 15gal cambro of guac every 4 days, by hand. All we had were knives and a potato masher. Upside is now I make better guac than the mexicans I work with, and they even say so.

Been on the line 8 years; got a few more in me then on to ownership. Something small; under 10 tables, pays the bills, lets me create my own menu. Counter service, because fuck FOH. All I'll need is a cashier. Say goodbye to my social life though I guess... well, except late night, which most of my friends are, so it's fine. Good to be friends with cops that work graveyard.
>>
>>7355979
>Something small; under 10 tables, pays the bills, lets me create my own menu. Counter service, because fuck FOH.
i did garmo at a place like this. good times.
>>
closing manager at a fast food restaurant. have all the responsibilities of a manager without salary, bonuses or benefits. don't qualify for free health care as i barely make enough money, can't afford it as i'm already in serious debt.

work with retards, children, potheads and mixes of all three who don't want to do their jobs correctly, think they're being treated unfairly when they're actually not worth their wages. someone even threatened to sue if they weren't given a raise (amount more than which i am even being paid) when his sandwiches are disgusting and sloppy and he doesn't even know the portions of any of our toppings, isn't allowed to use the register because he can't count, and is passive and rude while taking phone orders. he'd no-call no-showed twice before this incident, said in the presence of every manager that he 'doesn't need this job' and was stoned while asking for the raise.

was told the people i've caught smoking weed on the property won't be fired unless i catch them three times total. so i'm forced to work with stoned idiots unless i neglect my chores to babysit and stalk them around the property while they're not even on the clock so i can catch them doing it. leaving this shit job soon.
>>
>>7355562
I hope they only cook long enough for the breading to get crispy. Cooked avocado is disgusting.
>>
If you serve food for a living something somewhere has gone terribly wrong in your life.
>>
I work in a gourmet Lunch place/bakery/patisserie. Pretty nice job and I make some dank food. Responsibilities are hot food (my side is mostly sandwiches) and I make soup 4/5 times weekly. Foods good, pays alright, and nothing I make is "premade" which is a lot better than my previous kitchens.
>>
I worked at Jets Pizza a few summers ago as a summer highschool job. I once dropped a whole pizza on the ground. No one noticed so i put it in the pizza box to be eaten. Still chuckle about it every once in a while when it comes to mind.
>>
File: h5RCizA.png (26 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
h5RCizA.png
26 KB, 1024x1024
>>7356710
>>
>>7356710
>in the perfect world the food industry doesn't exist
>>
File: 1439536628753.jpg (7 KB, 149x175) Image search: [Google]
1439536628753.jpg
7 KB, 149x175
4 out 6 line cooks didn't show up. So me and fat bill had to take the breakfast rush like champs.
>Mfw I had to make 1200 early bird specials in the the span of 3 hrs
>>
>>7356694
>pay shit wage
>expect employees to be sober, skilled and give a fuck
ok
>>
>>7358923
>putting up an early bird special every second
>>
File: 1.jpg (17 KB, 352x293) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
17 KB, 352x293
>>7356710
>implying we don't know that
>>
>>7354964
use a scoop or spoon before you give everyone food poisoning. where do you work. that way I know not to go there.
>>
>>7354983
why the fuck do animals need their mice skinned and their fish filleted? Surely being born in captivity doesn't make them total fucking retards
>>
File: 1454447455424.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1454447455424.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>7358923
What consists of the early bird special?
It's not really a phenomenon here in Britbongistan
>>
>>7359075
Really young pigeons, usually deep-fried whole. You can fit a couple dozen at once in a fryer basket so they really "fly" out of the kitchen, hence the name. Really common for breakfast in New York and other coastal cities in the USA.
>>
>>7358923

Well you've done fucked up now, boss knows he can fire some cooks.
>>
File: 1421710991027.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1421710991027.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>7355137
>Sprouts
>apprentice butcher

You work at a grocery store. That is not a trade.
>>
>>7359125

Are you the same jobless guy that comes into job threads to belittle everyone?

Try telling that to my friend's dad who started behind the meat counter at kroger and ended up running the department for 20 years before opening his own butcher shop.
>>
I work at an inn restaurant. The chef is cool and teaches me how to make shit even though I'm just garde manger. Last week I learned how to juillienne carrots faster, make a flourless chocolate cake (fucking "gluten intolerant" people kill yourselves) and a creme anglaise. Chef even thought my creme was better than the ones made by real cooks with years of experience.

With only three guys in the kitchen at any given time, our busy nights are only ~150 covers, but it's a hell of a rush to do that in about two hours, because nobody wants to make reservations, so they all try to sit between seven and eight.
>>
>>7355858
this is hard
>>7354964
this is dumb.
>>
>>7355137
>Basically an apprentice butcher at this point
meh, not really. but I know how it goes,trying to make yourself feel better about a shitty job.
>>
>>7355979
>Upside is now I make better guac than the mexicans I work with, and they even say so.
Tell me your secrets, Avocado Whisperer.
>>
>>7355223
His long did that take? And what did you need 200lbs of fine diced onions for?
>>
>>7358934
Works for regular restaurants, line cooks and even chefs are paid like shit and expected to be skilled and work their asses off
>>
>>7354964

Dude what the fuck is wrong with you, use a spoon. It fits right in there and scoops it right out.

And yes, I work in the industry at the moment. In school to get into healthcare but it's not going so well, I'm considering going to culinary school instead.
>>
>>7359240
Were I working at a union store that would be my title, despite the near-total lack of whole carcass butchery at the retail level these days.

But yeah, it's a shitty job. "Butcher" sounds better than "senior meat clerk."
>>
File: coach.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
coach.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7359134

Please direct him to me at this thread, thank you.
>>
>>7354985
Even if they want it in that exact shape, grab a paring knife or spoon or something, insert that where you would normally try to grab the skin (peel for disambiguation), and use your thumb to pinch the peel against the utensil and peel off. If the peel is really stuck on or breaking very easily, just cut or scrape along the peel (they won't see a difference unless they see you doing it).
>>
i got my first real taxpaying job at 18 as a line cook at a high volume(seats 500) casual fine dining restaurant in new orleans. ive been in that bitch for two years and if i didnt spend 70 hours a week drunk and laughing i would have walked into the river long by now. my job is shit and the pay is miserable but my coworkers are so much fucking fun, they make a game out of everything.
>>
File: IMG_20151213_082829462.jpg (1001 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151213_082829462.jpg
1001 KB, 1456x2592
>>7354964
Ive worked in the industry for 15 years. I worked at a high class restaurant, a hospital cafeteria, a country club cooking for their restaurant and doing on site catering. Currently I work at an Italian restaurant over the prep, making all the bulk items. I made a bunch of chicken stock today
>>
After working at McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, 3 different Wendy's, a pizza franchise, and a pub, I finally got a job at one of the better local Italian restaurants. Its the largest, cleanest kitchen I've ever worked in. The other kitchen staff are fun to work with and take their jobs seriously. The owner is a cool dude, and actually knows what he's doing and isn't a cheap bastard. I make decent money, and got a $1 an hour raise after only 4 months.

Everytime I walk into a fast-food place I think: "thank god I don't have to deal with all this bullshit anymore."
>>
>>7359119
coooo cooool
>>
File: 3125645.jpg (19 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
3125645.jpg
19 KB, 450x450
>>7359075
Our early bird consist of 3 pancakes,3 scrambled eggs,3 slices of bacon(Turkey or Pork) and a cup of coffee(Unlimited refills). You could also replace the eggs for biscuits and gravy as well.
>We ran out of eggs and had to use this
>It's a sad day when you have to resort to this
>>
>>7361593
Lol I worked a fucking diner that exclusively used that shit (aside from eggs benny). It's amazing what lazy people will pay to have their breakfast made for them, regardless of the quality.

I drink to your health, Dawnwalker.
>>
File: 1379270610846.gif (1 MB, 300x193) Image search: [Google]
1379270610846.gif
1 MB, 300x193
I work at a grocery store deli, I make all the store-made sandwiches.

as much as a shitty, low paying and high stress job it is at least I don't have some insanely monotonous prep job. I couldn't make it half an hour into peeling avocados all day without stabbing someone
>>
>>7355858
Are you a chinese immigrant woman?
>>
>>7354970
>>7354985
dude, just ask for a spoon. Half em, spoon em then quarter
>>
op cant use a fucking spoon
>>
>>7355802
Same^^
As long as the work space is decent. Worked one shift making smoothies at an EarthFare. The sink for rinsing the blender cups and washing the the juicer was incredibly small and infuriating. Wouldn't have wished that job on my worst enemy! Quit for other reasons though
>>
>>7358934
expecting a raise after showing up stoned and doing a shit job is fucking retarded
Fuck those people
I know people who started at mcdonalds getting those shit wages and are now managers making a decent salary because they actually did their job well.
Fuck off with your excuse for that kind of entitled bullshit
>>
>>7361593
jail tier
>>
>>7363209
If you work in a restaurant and you let any prep task take you all day you're not going to last long.

Having said that, I think the most tedious prep job I ever had was picking the leaves off 8lbs of fresh thyme. No stripping the leaves- we didn't want any bits of stems. Just picking leaves.
>>
File: image.jpg (309 KB, 1242x1224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
309 KB, 1242x1224
>>7354964
Been a pit master at a smokehouse for the past few year. Blows at first getting up to be at work 4-5 in the morning but it pays well and I tend to be out by 1 pm which gives me a good bit of free time
>>
I used to work for a catering business, but all I did was put a mix of peanuts, raising and dried banana slices into small plastic bags for pre-prepared school lunches. Did this for an hour every day before school.
Got lots of free food there though, was pretty neat.
>>
>>7354985

Keeping working hard. It takes awhile to get used to the work. Then, before you know it, you forget how to relax. The most important thing is that everything is prepped correctly. Doing something fast and wrong twice takes more time than doing it right the first time. And, don't be afraid to ask questions. Especially if you're that new.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.