[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love working in a kitchen but it seems like weight gain is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
I love working in a kitchen but it seems like weight gain is almost unavoidable. All my coworkers are fat and I'm starting to gain weight too....

Is this normal in kitchen culture?I guess taste testing sauces, noodles and etc. catches up with ya more than I thought. Seems like most of my coworkers eat fast food outside of work because we're all tired of cooking after shift. Srly. Is this a normal occurrence?
>>
Yes, cooking is a shit industry and most people in it are fat because they spend so much time around food that they eat McDonalds whenever they're not working.

But 5% of restaurants have proper hours to make life worth living so that's something.
>>
I was skinny as hell for years working in kitchens, didn't start getting fat until I started factory work.
>>
>>7352654
Pastry chefs seem fat as fuk
>>
>>7352654

it's more lilely from the copious amount of alcohol kitchen people drink.

nibbling on food all day is easily negated by teh fact that you're walking around for 10 or more hours every day.. i taste literally every pan of food/dish i make before it goes out so i'm eating all day long and i'm in great shape.

i also make myself go to the gym 4x a week before work, and if i don't do that i end up really skinny from not having time to actually eat at work and also from not even wanting to look at food outside of work.
>>
>>7352661
My hours aren't too bad but split shifts kill me. It wasn't bad at first but I notice when I plating something I sortve snack out of necessity (taste testing) and partly because I haven't eaten yet. I work in a fancy restaurant too so it's not like we're putting out pig slop but it seems to have added up. I've gained like 20-30 lbs in a year and a half.

>>7352676
Don't say that. My goal is to become a pastry chef ;_;
>>
>>7352690
Bike to work. That's the best shit you can do for your body. If you can't bike to work from where you live, live somewhere else.
>>
>>7352692
If I walk its like a 30min walk? That's not too bad but my coworker normally gives me a ride. Once it gets warmer out I plan to walk more but a Canadian winter is complete bullshit..... It was raining goddamn sideways the other day. The day before that it was snowing. Fuck our weather.
>>
>>7352688

>it's more likely from the copious amount of alcohol kitchen people drink

This.

I'd taste pretty much everything, and also snack on fries and shit throughout the night, and still lose weight working the line with all the shit you have to do. My main station at the place a worked the longest was also on the opposite end of the kitchen from the walk-in, so I'd sprint back and forth a few dozen times to grab backups during busy nights, listening to the ticket machine going off the entire time.

Working in a real kitchen is like playing a 10 hour sports game; it's the shit people do to wind down afterwards that fucks them over.
>>
>>7352712
I can see this for a lot of my coworkers but I'm personally not a drinker. One of my coworkers has a gut even though he plays hockey hardcore but I think he's also celiac and lactose intolerant.
>>
>>7352721

hopefully that faggot never goes out to eat and shits on some poor bastards in the kitchen who have to scramble to make something that person is able to eat..

fuck those people.
>>
>>7352690
>Don't say that. My goal is to become a pastry chef ;_;

Be the exception to the rule anon. I believe in you.
>>
>>7352702
>Canadian winter is bullshit
>raining
Lmao
The only conditions you can't ride a bike in is >20cm fresh snow. I've biked to work almost everyday for the past 3 years, -40 celsius really isn't that bad after the first 2-3 minutes getting into it. The only tough part is figuring out what to wear, because heatstroke is very possible when you overdress.
>>
>>7352654
People where I work are either fat or ripped jocks. I'm the only skinny dude there, the dish guys take working out seriously and are always popping out of the pit to do a set of pushups, but all the cooks except for me are fat. I don't eat while I'm on the line, I only eat on my breaks and I rarely eat at home because I typically eat big meals at work.
I used to work in the pit, worked my way up from there, and I hated working with them because it always seemed like they'd go do push ups and leave me with all the work, but then bitch if I took a smoke break.
Most of the cooks are also heavy drinkers, it's not unusual for them to sneak beers in the fridge, including the head chef, who actually has a small bar in his office, but they always rib me for working high, always threatening to piss test me.
>>
>>7354861
>he gets breaks
>>
>>7352654
It's because of all the alcohol on the job. You need cocaine to counteract it.
>>
>>7352654
fatties can't hang on the line when shit gets hot and hectic
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.