[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You ever made your own cheese, /ck/? I wonder what I could add
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 20160206_162917~2.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
20160206_162917~2.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
You ever made your own cheese, /ck/? I wonder what I could add to this. If I add bastard saffron it's basically cheddar, right?
>>
>>7351489

How do you add saffron to that? Unwrap, put saffron in and then mush it thoroughly?
>>
File: 20160206_171550~2.jpg (1 MB, 2340x2867) Image search: [Google]
20160206_171550~2.jpg
1 MB, 2340x2867
>>7351506
I guess so. I added bastard saffron (i can't remember the real name, but it's similar to saffron for a hundreth the price) and salt. It turned a little yellow. I think it probably needs to be reheated and mixed with some kind of oil in order to make the type of cheddar you typically find in stores.
>>
cheddar cheese has to be cheddared, you fool. you made yellow queso, which is fine, but cheddaring is a lot more work and time. like 3 months, minimum.
>>
>>7351683
This.

You need to go through the cheddaring process to get cheddar and add annato to get the yellow color if that's what you're looking for.
>>
>>7351716
Oh yeah, annato. That's what I was thinking of. I'm gonna dump this in some French onion soup and serve with brie wontons.
>>
>>7351612
You're thinking of safflower. How tasty did your experimental cheese turn out?
>>
>>7351612
Ersatz saffron?
>>
>>7351489
I got a cheesemaking kit as a present, but the enzyme tablets are tiny already, and supposedly a quarter of one makes ten damn litres.

I like cheese, but that's a literal bucketload.
>>
>>7351489
>If I add bastard saffron it's basically cheddar, right?
You're a god damned moron.
>>
How do I make my own cheese?

I'd love doing it but I have no idea how it it done, is it a lot of work or does it require a lot of hard to get tools/ingredients?
>>
>>7354849
Make some friends with neighbors, give them some cheese.
>>
>>7351489
I've made paneer before. Pretty good 10/10 would do again.
I'd like to get into hard cheeses but I don't have proper equipment like a press or any of that shit, or bacterial cultures. So I'm limited to basic fresh cheeses.
>>
>>7356418
It's relatively easy to make stuff like mozzarella or other fresh, soft cheeses.

Anything else requires a lot more work.
>>
>>7354849
You don't like cheese enough.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.