[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Huge emergency I potentially fucked up someone's baked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 20160206_081411.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160206_081411.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Huge emergency

I potentially fucked up someone's baked dish badly. Need to know if there is a way to recover it or if it's still fine.

Friend made a cheese cake with an Oreo crust. Baked on a water bath. She entrusted me to put it on the fridge after it was done baking and allowed to sit for an hour.

I did what she said, except I didn't know that I had to take the cake most of the container and foil wrap it had around the spring mold because water might be in there. I put the whole thing in the fridge like a dumbass because I didn't see any water in the pan used to boil bake it.

So it has now sat about 5 hours in the fridge completely wrapped with liquids trapped in and she saw it. She undoes the mold and wrap and cannot tell if the crust is wet. She said that if the crust is wet and someone tries to cut it, the whole thing will crumble and the last night of effort was entirely wasted.

How can we check? Is there a way to fix this? The guilt is enormous, man.
>>
>>7350062
tl;dr
>>
You could go ahead and cut it and find out?
>>
Should mention that this cake is for someone's birthday party in about 16 hours.

She looked online some where and it said it would take 2 days to dry in the fridge if that were the case where the crust was wet.

Feels real bad, man.
>>
First of all. This post was barely in English. Check your shit before hitting submit. Yes, even if you're on a phone.

Second, don't feel bad for doing what your idiot friend told you. If she didn't instruct you to "take the cake most of the container and foil wrap it had around the spring mold" it's entirely her own fault.
>>
>>7350081
>Second, don't feel bad for doing what your idiot friend told you. If she didn't instruct you to "take the cake most of the container and foil wrap it had around the spring mold" it's entirely her own fault.
/thread

Although I suspect OP isn't giving us the full story. They almost certainly offered to help, and insisted they were skilled enough to do it. They even said:

>She entrusted me

Honestly, you're both idiots.
>>
>>7350095

Nope. Never insisted help, usually avoid anything kitchen related. She was in a bind and asked me to do that really quickly. I know my limits, senpai.
>>
if you microwave it a bit it might purge the water out

or it might ruin it more
>>
put it in rice
>>
>>7350132
/thread
>>
It's entirely her fault for letting water get in in the first place. The whole point of wrapping the bottom in foil is to make spring form pans waterproof.
>>
>>7350170
Oh, also if the pan of water baked dry there isn't going to be water trapped in the foil either. It's fine, she's probably just freaking out because she's stupid.
>>
>>7350081
>"take the cake most of the container and foil wrap it had around the spring mold"

I read this sentence four times and decided OP and his cake were fucked without reading the rest.
>>
>>7350062
OK, sounds like you didn't take the cake most of the container and foil wrap it had around the spring mold. You can fix this. Just get the rest of the foil wrap and take the container most of the cake. It should come good within in hour.
>>
>>7351191
I think "most" is an auto-corrected "out". Then the subjects are "the cake", "the container and foil wrap" and "spring mold".
>>
>>7350062

It's fine. if the water didn't cook out then the shit would have slid off the crust when you undid the mold.

if you're that freaked out, slide a pie server under the bottom and lift it up a hair to prove to yourselves that it's cohered.

Also your friend sounds like a bit of a controlling asshole and you sound codependant.
>>
I've made a cheesecake with chocolate graham cracker crust before, did it in a waterbath, didn't 100% properly wrap it in foil either because I think I didn't realize that it'd leak through...

Long story short, your friend is probably just overreacting like I was since it's kind of a pain to make, but actually the cake turned out ... better in the end.

A little bit of water ended up making the crust a bit moist -- much easier to cut, and it kinda blended in with the rest of the cake in a nice way.

I wouldn't worry too much about it OP.
>>
>>7351232
>Also your friend sounds like a bit of a controlling asshole and you sound codependant.

I think we all know this "friend" is his mother.
>>
>>7351251
>hitting the nail on the head: the post
>>
Its a fucking Cake OP.

If you fucked it up, just make another one. Its not hard. Its a fucking cheese cake. They are easy as shit to make.
>>
>>7350062
>The guilt is enormous, man.

dumb bitch should have done it herself
>>
Why/How the fuck are people baking with water?!
>>
>>7350062

tell your friend to chill. even if the crust is soggy, which it probably isn't, it isn't even a problem if the crust is soggy. it will be on plates. people will be using cutlery. you don't eat cheesecake like a fucking slice of pizza, right?
>>
>>7351326
sous vide is the future, man
>>
Honestly the fault lies most in her for trusting you who has zero experience with baking that. She should've showed you the recipe or w/e beforehand or given you more specific instructions. Or she could've better planned her time so she could've been there from the beginning to end.
>>
>>7350062
>guilt
>over nonspecific instructions

why? if someone did not give you exact instructions, the fault is theirs.

when giving directions in life, make sure they are exact. period. never assume, it's your fault if you do.
>>
There's no way water could've gotten through because of you OP. This is her fault that shes trying to scapegoat onto you for not knowing any better. The point of wrapping a spring foam pan is to protect it from water in the first place. If there was water trapped, that means she wrapped it improperly from the beginning. Even letting it cool down in the foil will not magically place enough liquid to have to pool around the pan like you are describing.
>>
>>7350062
>Baked on a water bath.
What?? Why? What is this???

Just buy another cake. Next time don't fucking bake with water.
>>
>>7350062
Just make a cookies and cream set cheesecake.. that cheesecake looks fucked.
>>
>>7350062
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
>>7351296
I was preferring the friend zone or cuck angle this had.
>>
>>7351543
This.
Don't sweat it brother it's not your problem nor is it your fault.
>>
File: 31ktOiUSP2L.jpg (15 KB, 500x167) Image search: [Google]
31ktOiUSP2L.jpg
15 KB, 500x167
>>7351326
>>7351549
Do you realize just how stupid you are, or are you so stupid that you can't tell, even when explained to you by others?
>>
>>7351543
This. Bitch is trying to throw you under the bus for her fuck up.
>>
>>7350062
Her fault, slap that idiot. Then have sexual intercourse while she bakes a new one.
>>
Kill her before she finds out.

Or burn the house down.
>>
>>7351633
Not as dumb as you look for misquoting John Wayne
>>
File: 1454294056326.gif (3 MB, 386x232) Image search: [Google]
1454294056326.gif
3 MB, 386x232
>>7351868
>being so stupid they think I made the picture rather than just Googling for it

Here you go faggot here's another picture I made
>>
Flip it upside down and broil its butt
>>
>>7351326
>springform pans
>water bath
Why do people do this? Is it that hard to learn how to bake a cheesecake without doing stupid shit?
>>
>>7352330
>animu
>>
>>7350128
Lol
>>
>>7351225
I was thinking "and foil wrap it had around the spring mold" implied "foil wrap it" being the verb and "the spring mold" being the object but I still have no idea what's going on.
>>
>>7350062
>Putting cheesecake in the fridge uncovered so that it can absorb fridge ordors

Yeah y'all are dumb. 16 hours is more than enough time to make another cheesecake. I feel bad for whoever has to eat that shit on their birthday
>>
>>7351326

You wrap the quiche/tart pan in foil and put it in a pan with water then into the oven. The water in the pan allows it to bake more evenly. It's not something you'll run into doing boxed cake or brownie mix but its not that uncommon either.
>>
>>7350070
Why don't you guys just make a fucking raw cheesecake
>>
>>7350062
There's more important things in life than a fucking cake. Tell her to downgrade her expectations and stop being such a needy bitch.

Also, cut it and if it falls apart serve with some ice-cream on the side as a dessert type thing.

Ice cream makes everything better :)
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.