[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here wok Hey ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: image%3A167839.jpg (331 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image%3A167839.jpg
331 KB, 1280x720
Who here wok Hey ?
>>
File: 60 portions of fried rice.webm (2 MB, 202x360) Image search: [Google]
60 portions of fried rice.webm
2 MB, 202x360
>>7347755
I wish. Our stove even has a special wok attachment for one of the burners, but it's pointless without that jet engine fucker underneath.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (56 KB, 534x717) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
56 KB, 534x717
>>7347833
They're out of stock. I should have grabbed one when I had the chance. 100,000 BTU.
>>
I have a cast iron wok and a 12.5k BTU burner. If I take my time letting that fucker heat up I can just about do it right.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (175 KB, 947x890) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
175 KB, 947x890
>>7347901
Sounds better than most. I wonder how hot this thing gets.
>>
>>7347755
I made a pork belly and celery stir fry tonight with a shitty electric stove and non stick wok.

One took a few min cook and tasted better than shitty take out.

marinade pork belly (sliced into thin strips) in xiaoxing wine, sweet soy, palm sugar, and cornstarch

heat wok to super hot

add in oil

add in sliced celery some ginger and some garlic

fry till mostly done

empty wok into a bowl and wipe down

heat back up and add new oil and pork. cook till mostly done

add back in celery and other veg

add in some more dark soy, sugar, maybe a little salt and msg...

then add in a T of starch disolved in 3 T of water

done

takes 2-4 min

keep flipping it as it cooks...

anyone can do it
>>
>>7347937
There's really no point to using a wok on an electric home range. The heat doesn't climb up the sides very well. Better off just using a saute pan. FWIW
>>
>>7347901
I have a 12k burner. It isn't too bad, but I also don't have a vent hood, which makes it really suck.
>>
>>7347969
The point is so you can toss and catch your food. The fire going up the sides is irrelevant. Heat is retained by the metal you tard.
>>
>>7348173
>Toss and catch your food...
lol
you can do that in a saute pan.
The heat doesn't reach and retain the same as it would with 60K BTU.
The sides of the wok are cooler than they should be if not on a wok burner.
Use a saute pan.
>>
>>7347833
Cookin stir fry like a boss!
>>
>>7347755

I use my wok on my fairly eh gas stove.
It gets hot enough to smoke heavily fairly easily, definitely not anywhere near wok burner levels. I'm actually really tempted to pick one up, I love cooking with a wok due to how engaging and fun it is, I just can't use my carbon steel one to its full potential.
>>
>>7347755
I'd like to learn how to use a wok properly

I have one, and use it a bit but I don't think I'm doing it right, or getting the most out of it
>>
Is it worth dropping 180 dollarydoos for a proper wok burner? Is the difference really noticeable in the end product?
>>
File: HTB1cWaLFVXXXXckXVXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg (132 KB, 545x440) Image search: [Google]
HTB1cWaLFVXXXXckXVXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg
132 KB, 545x440
Is this style of burner any good? The put out the required MJ/BTU, they tend to be very low pressure though (2-3Kpa).
>>
>>7349499
The issue with those is not enough flame around the sides of a wok, but you can adjust all 4 rings. Putting the middle ones a little lower would probably give a decent result, but not as good as one that is designed specifically for woks.
We use them as "stock burners". They can get large pots up to temp quickly, the lower pressure is so the flames lick the bottom surface of a pot instead of jetting onto it, so it's good for big aluminum pots, and being able to fine tune the temp across all rings means you can minimize the convection effect for stocks as well as make the flame suitable for smaller pots.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.