[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you buy a box of misshapen veg, or pay a bit more for aesthetic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: Capture.png (542 KB, 648x888) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
542 KB, 648x888
Would you buy a box of misshapen veg, or pay a bit more for aesthetic veggies?
>>
>family of four for a week

that would last me a day
>>
I'd buy the shit out of that. idgaf what it looks like. Taste and nutrition is why you eat veg. Fuck, "perfect" produce looks unnatural.
>>
>>7346595

who gives a shit about how they look, I'm not gonna care if it has some bump while I'm eating it.
>>
I'd buy it. I shop 2-3 times a week and always check the corner where they put the almost expiring stuff on discount
>cauliflower with already all the leaves off for 50 cents
>1.5kg bananas, very ripe like I want em, 75 cents
And then I check the bakery and meat section, anything that expires within a day gets a 30% off sticker.
>>
>>7346681
>And then I check the bakery and meat section, anything that expires within a day gets a 30% off sticker.

Is this some american bullshit? Freshly baked bread shouldn't be given much more than 2 days anyway, why would it get a discount?
>>
>>7346691
>why would it get a discount?

Because the store owners would rather mark it down and get SOME money for it as opposed to throwing it away when it goes bad.
>>
Woolies in straya does this already.
>>
>Would you buy a box of misshapen veg [for less]
Yes.
>or pay a bit more for aesthetic veggies?
Not for personal use. If I owned a restaurant, then chances are much greater that I would.

I'd love to pay 30% less and make vegetable soup.
>>
Chances are I'm going to chop it up and add it to something else, I don't exactly care what shape my vegetables are in.

But if I'm going to do stuffed peppers, or if the root vegetables are misshapen enough that peeling them becomes inconvenient, I might pay a bit extra.
>>
I buy reduced produce all the time. The only problem is that too often it's stuff that's about to go off and too much of it. I don't need six eggplants that are already turning soft.
>>
>>7346691
Europe. The bakery doesn't discount breads afaik, but stuff like pies & patisserie.
>>
>>7346595
Yes if it actually means misshapen and not almost starting to rot.
>>
>>7346595
Tough call. The varieties of vegetables sold in the supermarket were carefully bred to look good. A discount would be the only reason to buy ones that didn't.

But if I'm at a farmer's market looking at heirloom varieties that were bred for flavor first and looks second I don't give a fuck about how veggies look as long as they're ripe and not rotten.

>>7346599
That wouldn't last me more than two or three days at most.
>>
>>7346728
>I don't need six eggplants that are already turning soft
Sounds like baba ghanoush central.
>>
>>7346681
>mfw getting pre-breaded pork schnitzel for like 2.25 at the grocery store because it was "expired"
grilled that shit and put it with some japanese curry, damn good.
>>
>>7346595
Depend on what it's for. Presentation is everything and if the recipe doesn't ask me to cut the vegetable to an unrecognizable size, which isn't that common, I'd rather get the good looking vegetable.
>>
>>7346892
Hopefully you can do the same to your diarrhoea
>>
File: food-wastage-1.jpg (164 KB, 610x610) Image search: [Google]
food-wastage-1.jpg
164 KB, 610x610
Your daily reminder.
>>
File: british_family_one_week_food.jpg (196 KB, 986x734) Image search: [Google]
british_family_one_week_food.jpg
196 KB, 986x734
>>7346599
I guess this assumes the average British diet which contains relatively few vegetable compared to other places.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-05_20-21-39.png (419 KB, 1180x931) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-05_20-21-39.png
419 KB, 1180x931
>>7347011
But yeah, I'd buy the shit out of that. The only local equivalent I know of is $40 for a box, so fuck that shit.
>>
I hope this catches on, I want cheap vegetables and it's fucking criminal how much supermarkets force farmers to throw out.
>>
>>7346595
I would pay full price for "misshapen" vegetables.
>>
>>7346595
I'd be okay with paying nothing if supermarkets open that fucking gate in front of the food (still in packaging!) they throw out
>>
>>7347011
Except that's bollocks and you're just shitposting.
>>
>>7346973
This saddens me deeply
>>
>>7347107

How so? I just got done reading Mrs Beeton's and frankly there are very few vegetable dishes compared to the meat-based ones.
>>
>>7347149
Beeton's is an artifact that predates daytime television.
>>
>>7347188

That's the point. It's the most well-known documentation of British cooking. In fact, it's the most highly published cookbook of all time.
>>
>>7347204
But is neither influential to nor representative of what actually happens in kitchens throughout the country today.
>>
>>7347204
It's also from 150 fucking years ago you nelly.
>>
>>7347011
people actually decline food from food banks here because they don't know how to cook.
also stop pretending the american diet is any better, or any western diet for that matter.
>>
>>7347239
>stop pretending the american diet is any better, or any western diet for that matter.

where in that post did anon say that any diet was better?
>>
>>7346595
So they are offering the same set of vegetables for £5?

I doubt that.
>>
>>7347923
Seems about right to me. What is it, a cauliflower, leeks, potatoes, onions, peppers, courgettes, swedes and carrots? They're all like 30p - 80p a pack.
>>
>>7346973
Reminder that this means that 1/3rd of the energy needed to produce it gets lost too, to heat dissipation.

Farm machines, water pumps, storage costs, transportation costs.
>>
>>7347026
That box >>7346595 is basically ~21.99 USD for an entire month per 4 persons.

Your box is for two people once a month.

So it costs ~80USD for a month and 4 Persons.
>>
>>7346595 (OP)
Here's the thing with growth cracks - it's not just MUH FEELS, actual mold grows inside

Enjoy your mycotoxins whilst you tip your fedoras about how you're so much smarter than me, I'll be here eating vegetables that don't release poison into my body
>>
>>7348054
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-KmOd3i7s
>>
>>7348054
Try washing it properly, you nong.
>>
File: 1382981617092.jpg (56 KB, 357x359) Image search: [Google]
1382981617092.jpg
56 KB, 357x359
>>7348080
>washing is going to get rid of mold growing inside the pulp
this is what poor people ACTUALLY believe
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.