[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I absolutely love Penzys. They opened one about 2 blocks from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 425x425
So I absolutely love Penzys. They opened one about 2 blocks from my apartment and I have been getting all my spices here. Each month they send me a coupon for something for free. Also emails all the time with free spices with $5 purchase.mwhat are your favorite penzys spice blends? I need to spend money here all the time to get my freebies (yes I'm a cheap Jew) and am always looking to find new flavors. Suggestions?
>>
I've never shopped at Penzeys but I do love a good spice shop. It's usually not only better quality that the supermarket, but often lower priced as well. It's a win-win. I shop at The Spice House.

I'm not much of a fan of blends though. They're fixed in ratio. On the other hand if you have individual spices then you can make whatever blend you want to suit whatever you're cooking at that time. You can adjust the proportions as you see fit rather than being locked into whatever is in the blend.
>>
>>7346418
The owner is a faggot libcuck tho who rants about his retarded blue collar customers in his catalog.
>>
>>7346424
I see where you are coming from. Most of the blends I get are Indian or asian. Also have a couple of their blends that were free. I very much suggest trying the currys.

>>7346442
You say this like its a bad thing. I try not to associate with the locals in my neighborhood too. What do blue collar non educated people know about spices besides the 5 that they bought at Walmart for 84 centavos? Penzys isn't the place for folks like that.
>>
>>7346577
>I try not to associate with the locals in my neighborhood too

If you live there, you are one of them yourself. You are the worst sort of person.
>>
>>7346590
No they are the idiots who let their houses fall apart and lose them to the tax man. I'm the guy that buys them rehabs them and makes a pretty penny.
>>
>>7346418

I want to try their beri beri spice... supposed to be good and hot...
>>
>>7346605
Bro it's amazing. I buy it by the bag. Might be my favorite that they sell.
>>
>>7346604
You're a despicable leech, and I hope you choke on your Penzey's spices.
>>
>>7346442
Penzy's has to walk a tightrope. They would like to be able to cast themselves as a high end spice shop that brings the best quality pepper, cinnamon and salt to the public. But what keeps them in business is pleb tier spice blends bought by ignorant home cooks looking to be adventurous and punters stuck for gift ideas for a "foodie" relative/friend.

So there's a dissonance between the company's aspirations and its core business. I'm sure that makes for a resentful CEO.

>>7346590
Plenty of people live in places where they wouldn't want to associate with their neighbors. Imagine being born intelligent in Florida or Texas. That would be brutal.
>>
>>7346637
>pleb tier spice blends bought by ignorant home cooks
I like their Sunny Paris blend. Fight me.
>>
>>7346637
You're shit tier person. Hopefully, you'll have a terrible, spice-related accident, and everyone can have a good laugh at your misfortune, since you're not good for much else.
>>
>>7346637
>But what keeps them in business is pleb tier spice blends

That's true for a great many different businesses. I'm sure that Ferrari makes more money selling clothing, rights to toys/models, and other "accessories" than they do selling cars.
>>
>>7346637
They don't have to "walk a tightrope". They fucking LOVE selling spices to anyone and everyone who'd buy them. You're fucking kidding yourself if you think otherwise. There's plenty of specialty spice shops out there selling to select customers, and Penzey's could (and would have) done the same if they actually cared about that, but they don't, they are in it for nothing but the profit, like any other corporation. They make more money by pretending to be elitist and "HAVING" to sell to "ignorant home cooks". You're an idiot.
>>
>>7346657
There's nothing wrong with liking spice blends. I use curry powder and garam masala every now and then. I have no idea what your deal is, but I have relatives who know I'm into cooking, which means I have half a cupboard full of various spice blends that I'm sure sounded good to the friend/relative who kindly thought of me when buying them, but I have no use for them. I make my own blends tailored to whatever individual dish I'm making. I have no use for jars labeled "Taste of Thailand", "Taste of Shanghai", "Maharajah Blend" or "Bangkok Blend" because I'm not looking to randomly add some exotic spice to my cooking. Usually I'm cooking specific dishes that call for a specific combination of spices, and it's never one of those blends. So they sit in my cupboard as a testament to clever marketing and the misguided intentions of my friends and loved ones until I throw them away.

>>7346665
>You're shit tier person.
It's not like I bear any ill will toward anyone. On the contrary, I wish nothing but the best for all my fellow men. There just happen to be many I'd rather not associate with if I can help it. And I'm sure you feel the exact same way.
>>
>>7346674
True.
>>7346677
I don't know. I haven't seen a recent catalog, but I remember two page spreads devoted to explaining the differences between varieties of cinnamon and pepper, which seemed pretty aspirational for a company that sells BBQ rubs. Of course they're in it for nothing but the profit, but part of maintaining those sales is making lemon pepper seem classier than Goya Adobo. You're kidding yourself if you don't think that's the case.
>>
>>7346750
Sounds like you have stupid relative’s bro and are anal retentive about recipes. While I will say there is some wisdom in words, your rigidity about cooking and recipes is autism tier. Have you never looked at the back of the spice bottle and said, “that may be good on X because it’s got some good stuff in it”, even if you normally wouldn’t ever buy it. Have you even ever tried any of the blends bought for you by your stupid relative’s for fun? Or are you such an autists you only follow recipes to a letter, which is a sign of a real try hard home chef.
>>
>>7346792
I don't follow any recipes to the letter, and I don't think my relatives are stupid. I'm just past my days of playing around in the kitchen. I'm not looking to invent any dishes, nor do I want to get creative. I want to get better. Of course my cooking is always evolving as I learn new things. Recently I've been doing south and western Indian dishes, which has me using curry leaves, asafoetida and toasted dal as seasonings for the first time. That's exciting to me. Bangkok blend is not. If it is to you that's great.
>>
>>7346627
>fixes houses
>leech

Has liberal logic gone too far?
>>
>>7346418
Penzeys sucks, Penderys is far better.
http://www.penderys.com/
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.