[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /ck/ think of enameled steel cookware?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: st-094.jpg (16 KB, 500x160) Image search: [Google]
st-094.jpg
16 KB, 500x160
What does /ck/ think of enameled steel cookware?
>>
Got an enameled saucepan from a thrift store for $2. It works well
>>
If you're getting enameled, why not go cast iron?
>>
>>7345840
>>7335504
>>
steel is fine on it's own

if you need non-stick, use non-stick

the non-stickyness of ceramic seems to be a bit hit or miss
>>
Stainless steel is all you need, imo.

With these I'd imagine that the enamel would eventually crack and chip away exposing a lesser quality steel underneath which might be prone to rust, unlike stainless steel.

Also, just my opinion but I think those enamel things look hideous. More like bad decoration than actual cookware.

I've never used it, though, so take this with a grain of salt.
>>
>>7345834
After years and years of constantly replacing shitty Sears-tier cookware, I'm splurging on Le Crueset. It has been worth every penny. Just follow the instructions and everything'll be fine. You won't need nearly as much heat as the recipes recommend. And I cook all the time now. It's been awesome and all my food has been fucking perfect.

>>7345889
No, they will never chip or crack provided you don't behave like a fucking retard. You don't have to baby them or anything, just be not retarded.
>>
Steel, usually stainless but in some applications carbon, is valued for its durability, versatility, and longevity as a cooking material. It's trumped in heat retention by cast iron and it loses to aluminum and copper when it comes to conductivity/even heating. Enameled steel is absolutely pointless. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either sadly misinformed or an idiot
>>
>>7345834
I got a 16 quart stockpot and made the ramen broth in it, was pretty good. I don't think I would buy a skillet or anything like that but it makes a good stock pot.
>>
>>7345872
I don't think enamelling is for non-stick.
Usually it's to prevent food from reacting and picking up odd flavours, or to help heat retention.

Non-stick ceramics are just a thin layer on the inside of a regular aluminum pan.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=378eeKE-KxM

here you go
>>
>>7346099
That's why you get stainless steel pans with an aluminum or copper core.
>>
>i want my cookware literally created out of meme substances
>>
>>7345904
>they will never chip or crack
But the steel and the enamel will expand and contract at different rates and the enamel will eventually lose it's adhesion and crack then chip away.

Source: Science.
>>
>>7345843
That thread doesn't say anything bad about cast iron, just morons.
>>
>>7345840
Because most enameled cookware isn't anywhere near as thick as cast iron and doesn't have the same heating and dispersion characteristics. Enameled is also a lot less durable outside of neglect and more expensive. Those last two are not characteristics that I personally care about much, but some do.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.