[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food & Eczema
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 1368539506_2078_skin.jpg (12 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
1368539506_2078_skin.jpg
12 KB, 250x200
Hey ck/ Any of you eczema sufferers? I was wondering if some of you tried curing it through changing your diet? If so did it work?
I've heard about green smoothies, some of them suposedly great for eczema. If you got any recipes, share them!
(sry I was hesitant between adv/ and ck/ but this felt more appropriate)
>>
First of all, you should find out if you're allergic to anything. Not directing this just to you, but to everyone.
>>
>>7342602
By trying everything?
>>
File: Zinc.jpg (22 KB, 372x343) Image search: [Google]
Zinc.jpg
22 KB, 372x343
Just grate a little of pic related on your food and it will fix everything.
>>
I've been dealing with acne for a while now (I'm 22) and I decided to try gluten free to see if it does anything. It's been a week and it seems like my face is slowly clearing up, but it's hard to even tell if it's related to the gluten free.
>>
>>7342587
most fruit absolutely destroys my face. my family has a history of skin problems and i thought there was nothing i could do about it, and i was regularly eating fruit. after a few months of not having any fruit my skin was 90% improved.

dairy, wheat, chocolate, sugar has no effect on my skin. if i take even a few sips of orange juice, the skin around my nose and mouth will get blisters, flaky, and hurt for a couple days.

stress is one of the biggest factors in controlling it for me. other than that, occasionally taking a bath with a bit of vinegar in it helps too. and i don't use soap (except on my butt) unless i've gotten dirty or greasy, but i still shower 1-3 times per day.
>>
>>7343882
Hum I thought you needed at least a month for gluten to leave your body and another months to feel the effects?
>>7343853
why zinc though?
Also, bumping with dinner
>>
File: lol.jpg (194 KB, 445x559) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
194 KB, 445x559
>>7342587

The trick to curing eczema is to cut out all carbs from your diet.

I am not joking.

My eczema spread like wildfire until I achieved ketosis and maintained it with a diet consisting solely of fats and proteins.

My skin looks flawless when I'm on ketosis, but as soon as I eat fruit, grains, sugars, or any other carbs, the eczema comes right back.
>>
>>7343896

A month? Well shit, I guess I still have to give it time, which I was going to anyway/
>>
>>7342587
Peanut butter would make my eczema come out bad. I stopped eating peanut butter, and gradually my eczema stopped coming back, except if it gets really dry in the winter or if my hands get dried out from washing them all the time at work, I get these nasty boils on my fingers and apparently that has something to do with eczema.
Anyways, I eat peanut butter as an adult and nothing happens, so I guess I'm mostly cured.
>>
>>7343907
This could actually be linked to candidiasis of the gut. By cutting out all carbs you're actually starving the yeast.
But seriously, how long have you kept that up and how long are you going to keep it up?
I've been doing the same and have been going in and out of keto for a month, but I would give anything to eat some white bread with camembert, or a decent pizza... (+I'm always waking up fuckin early while on keto, this shit just can't be a permanent solution for me)
>>
>>7343939

>This could actually be linked to candidiasis of the gut

No.

I get checked for candida and H. pylori twice a year.

Never once have I come up positive for either.

>how long have you kept that up and how long are you going to keep it up?

I once did strict ketosis for a year.

I didn't do it for my eczema, though.

I did it because I have LPR.

Keto wasn't a way for me to look pretty.

It was a way for me to avoid getting esophageal cancer.

That was motivation enough for me to stick to it.
>>
>>7343896
>Perhaps the most notable deficiency causing eczema is zinc, a mineral that protects the surface of the skin. With low zinc level, the top layer of the skin changes in appearance, looking dry and cracked like arid land. The condition leads to inflammation, itching, and yeast and bacterial infections.

It's pretty well established, talk to your doctor.
>>
File: unguentum-m-cream-500g_grande.jpg (54 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
unguentum-m-cream-500g_grande.jpg
54 KB, 600x600
just lather this stuff on daily, it's amazing
>>
>>7343893
i'm with this guy about the stress thing

i have what i'm pretty sure is eczema on a couple of fingers of one hand, never had it diagnosed though.

stress is what gets it going fucking crazy, and also excessive hand washing/winter dryness like >>7343938 pointed out (and my last job involved a ton of hand washing and working outside year round so fuck my shit)
>>
Spit on your skin. Odd, but reduces the swelling and itchiness. Mine clears up in a few days when I do this.
>>
>>7342587
This >>7342602 is great advice. Food allergies can cause all sorts of immune system issues, including skin issues like eczema. I just had the whole battery of allergy testing done last November, and it was amazing how much I was allergic to. 34 different things! (No foods, except for hops, for fuck's sake). It could be damn near anything you come in contact with that's causing your skin problems, not just food.

But, diet wise, there are foods that are more healthy for you skin than others (unless you are allergic to them). Sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, tomatoes, grass fed beef, pastured eggs, wild caught fish, avocados, walnuts and almonds, oysters, lemons, butternut squash, pumpkin, whole grain rice (not just brown, but actual whole grain), oatmeal, seaweeds.
And taking these supplements: zinc, biotin, collagen, and magnesium.
Also, next time you see a doctor, have your blood work done. Basic blood work will check your iron and vitamin D levels. Vit D is very important for not only skin health, but general well being, and you'd be surprised at how many people are vitamin D deficient, even if they get outside enough and take a multivitamin.
>>
I've had eczema since I was a kid, though it has lessened in severity over the years. I still get it occasionally on my hands though. Used to think I was allergic, or whatever, to gummy types of candy, but later found that that was not the case.

I heard from someone else that suffered from eczema that fish oil had helped her get rid of it so I tried that as well. And it really does help, at least for me, when I start getting eczema it eat a capsule every day for a couple days and the eczema pretty much always subsides.
>>
>>7343907
There are going to be a lot of angry people spewing their autistic rage about the "meme diet" for this, but it worked for me too. I've had atopic dermatitis since birth and often used steroid creams and antihistamine pills.

Had a giant outbreak 2 and a half years ago, everything basically itched, upper legs, lower legs, armpits, face, hell, even the pubic area. It didn't look that horrible but I was left with hyperpigmentations, especially on my legs (like faint bruises, a lot of them).
I went keto first time 2 years ago, to cut some bodyfat quickly for the summer. My skin became softer and more elastic in 2 weeks and the eczema outbreaks frequency reduced by 90%. It was an accidental side effect, but it made me sta on keto until today. Figured that I couldn't function well enough on a continuous keto, so I do cyclic now, with carb cycles every weekend or every 2 weeks.

Make sure to eat a lot of green vegetables, it's not all about gorging with butter, bacon and processed shit.

Figure out if there's a "keto allowed" food that still makes you flared up. For me, it's coffee, penauts and alcoholic drinks(even the "bulletproof" ones). Not caffeine pills, but coffee.

I also do blood work every year. Last time was in December, my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were inside the reference ranges, as well as hepatic enzymes, coagulation factors, ions and everything else I've tested for. Except blood sugar level, it's low.

I have no idea why this works ( if it even works, but who gives a fuck, I'd take a good placebo over dermatitis any day) and I'm not even uneducated in the field of medicine and chemistry.
>>
>>7344176
While on keto, the eczema on my hands got much better, but new spots appeared on my body.
Shit is driving me crazy.
I was diagnosed with a fragrance allergy, but taking away all perfumes from my daily basis hasn't had the slightest effect. For now, only cutting carbs had this semi-positiv effect
>>
>>7343882
Someone in the keto thread said since cutting out carbs their skin felt better. Correlation does not become causation, and all that
>>
>>7345720
Yeah I've been diagnosed with dairy allergy and house dust mite allergy, but the dairy part is pure bullshit. It also flares up when I'm stressed or very nervous.
>>
>>7345789
But if it works for him, who cares? Problem arises when people like that Food babe and other bloggers start spreading their non scientific meme bullshit.
>>
>>7343907
I too can vouch for this. I had great skin when I was doing the Atkins diet a couple years back.
>>
>>7342587
I stopped consuming dairy and my acne cleared up.
>>
>>7343907
>>7344176
>>7345951
How long did you need for all your eczema to clear up? (if it did go completely away)
>>
A doctor recommended cutting down on nuts and citrus for me when my eczema was bad. I didn't notice any change in my skin from my diet though. The only things that have an effect are detergents and cold air. I hardly get any rash when I don't come in contact with scented detergents or soaps. If you haven't already, you should start using allergy tested detergents. I don't wash my skin with soap or a shower gel either (apart from hands and face). I don't know if that sounds gross or something but my skin is good and I don't stink either. If you feel like you need to wash your skin with something, you can try a basic lotion in place of a shower gel. It'll leave your skin moist after showering. Personally I think soaping your skin daily is unnecessary and can even be harmful.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.