[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Grow up as a brat who refuses to eat vegetables because they're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: vegetables-variety.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1395) Image search: [Google]
vegetables-variety.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1395
>Grow up as a brat who refuses to eat vegetables because they're icky and my parents enable my behaviour
>As a teenager have it in my head that the only ones I'll eat are carrots because it's all I ever got forced to eat
>Get into college and now have to fend for myself
>Gradually realize all the stuff I used to think I hated like broccoli and peppers are either fucking delicious on their own or great in certain dishes
>Got a vegetarian girlfriend for a while who introduced me to some amazing recipes and foodstuffs that I still eat regularly
>Nowadays laugh with my parents at what a picky little shit I was while growing up

Anyone else go through something like this? What were you a picky eater towards as a child but now love?
>>
>>7339844
OP, do you like salad bars yet? All the toppings?
>>
>>7339859
Yup, though I ain't a fan of too many kinds of dressing.
>>
>>7339844
You sound like my brother and my son. I'm actually the opposite, getting pickier as I get older. Most of the junk food I thought was delicious as a kid tastes like shit to me know. Never had a problem with vegetables, thankfully.
>>
I grew up with parents who forced me to eat all kinds of vegetables. At the time it was bad but after a while you become accustomed. Given the right mix, vegetables can really bring a meal together. I still dislike boiled pumpkin though.
>>
>>7339844
I've discovered that everything I disliked as a child, was because my mom was a terrible cook.
>>
>>7339844
That's a great blog post OP, let me reaffirm you and bump your shitty thread.
>>
I got a friend who refuses to ever touch a single vegetable because they're, and I truly quote, "icky and crunchy."
He's 17.
>>
Shit I used to be such a picky eater towards cooked green vegetables, but my family's southern which means if it's a vegetable, it's either going in a cream-based casserole or it's boiled beyond recognition and without any good flavorings. Took me a long time to realize how good veggies are if you just blanch them a little so they're inbetween being soft and crunchy, and if you use good spices and herbs on them.
>>
>>7339844

A few years ago I "forced" myself to eat a veggie lovers sub. While the crunchy texture I found revolting, as I chewed I stopped and realized "This tastes pretty good"

I'm sure the aversion to the texture would go away eventually, I just didn''t stick with it.
>>
Lel
>>
I used to hate absolutely all vegetables except potatoes and peas. Most of my diet until I was about 18 was pb+j sandwiches on soft white bread, with pizza thrown in at weekends a lot of the time. Broccoli and carrots made me involuntarily wretch until I spit them out, and I couldn't even eat dishes with an onion base because I hated onion.

now I eat almost exclusively homecooked food with a ton of veggies, but it's taken a good 5+ years to gradually integrate them all into my diet, and I prefer eating fruit to stuff like chocolate
>>
>>7342217
Veggie Delite with Avocado at Subway is the best thing they have. Get it with jalapenos and olive oil.
>>
>>7339844

>Staying with friends in London before flying out to Korea last summer
>Brat son of theirs wont eat anything
>We're eating a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings that was, seriously, delicious
>Kid is eating chicken nuggets and chips
>"He just wont eat anything else"

>Be in Korea
>Friend who's working over there invites me to stay with her host family for a few days before I move onto another part of the country
>"Ohh, he's your bf?" Literally every time she introduces me to someone.
>Kids eating literally everything with no fuss
>Only the youngest kids don't because some things are too spicy
>No such thing as a 'kids meal' it's the same food as the adults eat.

Know how I'm raising my kids...
>>
File: 1.jpg (192 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
192 KB, 1080x1080
>>7339844
Used to hate tomatoes
Like them now, they're a part of both my lunch and dinner usually

Used to hate avocadoes
Really like em with my chicken sandwiches now

Still don't like broccoli tbqhwufam

Strangely enough I used to love spinach and now I can't touch the stuff
>>
>>7339844
Weeb foods induced me out of my picky eater stage. True story.
>>
>>7339844
>Grew up never having tried beef jerky
>Asked my parents several times if i could try it, they refused
>In my early teen years when I had my own money I still didn't buy it because of the false negative connotation
>Finally decide to try it at 18
>Holy shit this stuff is delicious! Expensive but delicious
>21 now, eat jerky all the time.
>>
>>7343894
parents are to blame, don't blame the kid because his parents fed him shit from a young age and he has a terrible palate because of it
>>
>>7339844
As a kid, you couldn't get me to eat any kind of beans. No red beans, no kidney beans, no baked beans with my barbeque, no black beans, now I eat them straight out the can.
>>
>>7341818
Oh boy this.
For 14 years I truly believed vegetables were disgusting, until the first day I decided to try cooking some for myself.
>>
Science has been trying to figure out why "kids hate vegetables" for years and the best they have is that children have twice as many tastebuds as adults, so they taste a lot more bitter to them.
Additionally, most parents can't cook vegetables for shit and just microwave canned veg into mush. My mother was horrible about trying to make me eat mushy, canned asparagus.
>>
>>7339844
Vegetables do not taste bad at all. If improperly prepared they can taste bitter or be mushy and flavorless. Another problem is the negative mindset you give children when you force them, my nephews and neices have cried on the dinner table when my brother forces them to eat broccoli.

When I baby sit em they love roasted veg and stir fry and a salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. I showed a video of them eating a stir fry with steak, carrots, broccoli bok choy onions snap peas and bell pepper garlic ginger. And another eating roasted chicken with roasted veg and a salad. They were amazed.

Unfortunately since my SIL cooks like shit they still don't eat veggies but its because her shit is disgusting, but at least it's not because they hate veg but because it was prepared from a can and cooked to mush.
>>
i couldn't eat cheese for most of my childhood, it just grossed me out
>>
It's very common to be a fussy eater around certain foods as a kid, unless you were 'several miles below the poverty line-tier' poor. I couldn't do onions and snowpeas off the top of my head, along with other obvious shit like broccoli and brussel sprouts. Now I can eat anything. Onions in particular are an almost universal feature of my cooking, within reason.
>>
my guess is it's a combination of kids not wanting to eat veggies because they are forced to, a simply knejerk reaction. As well as the fact veggies don't taste as good as steak and mash or whatever the main part of the meal is.

I like veggies but they are never the highlight of the meal and vegetarian shit is for idiots.
>>
>>7345886
It is you who is the idiot, anon.
>>
>hated artichoke
>but mom make some every sunday because it's good for the liver
>got used to it but still don't like it
>now I'm an adult and I still hate it
but I still make some every sunday because It doesn't feel right not to

I realised, I never learned to love what I didn't like. I'm just at a point where food is so good that ingredients I hate are just a mild inconvenience.
>>
>>7339844
Was pretty picky as a kid, when I discovered 4chan when I was like 14 it helped, because of that if you dont like a b or c you're a pleb attitude, I really tried to eat stuff I didnt like and became all about adquired tastes in food
>>
Could not stomach lamb until I was 19
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.