[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cracking eggs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: ayyg.png (220 KB, 800x267) Image search: [Google]
ayyg.png
220 KB, 800x267
Well, which is it, /ck/?
Protip: one of these methods is meme tier
>>
A. I prefer my eggs without bits of shell.
>>
a.

i'm assumuing that's the one you think is meme tier tho
>>
B
If you get shell in the bowl you're doing something wrong
>>
C: Egg side against egg head
>>
>>7339706
Trick question. They're both meme tier unless you like cholesterol clogging your veins and salmonella poisoning
>>
>>7339706
Every single food website says A is the best method, but the only time I've ever gotten shell in the bowl was when I used A. I never get any shell in the bowl using B
>>
>>7339811
>Every single food website says A is the best method, but the only time I've ever gotten shell in the bowl was when I used A. I never get any shell in the bowl using B
Because it doesn't force a shell edge through the membrane, A doesn't drive contamination from the outer shell into the inner egg like B. Though it's only a chance, some lingering e.coli or external bacteria can then contaminate the eggs which might have otherwise been okay. This would be even more problematic if you had to retrieve a shell that was in the bowl a while, or if you let the eggs sit a while before using (a practice that is common sense not to do in restaurants but save sooo much time, that it is done anyway). Germ freaks order fried eggs vs scrambled for this reason and prefer well done scrambled, nothing undercooked in the middle for omelets.
>>
It doesn't matter. Do what works best for you. I've done almost exclusively A, and I've had many more mistakes and instances of getting shell in the egg using that than I ever have with B. It's just a matter of what you can comfortably do, and how hard you tap the egg.

When I was taught how to crack eggs, we did it on the counter, and then ran our fingers in to get as much of the leftover white out as we could. I feel like that's much more dangerous than A or B by themselves. Human hands are fucking filthy, even when we think we're really clean. Imagine all the shit that's under your fingernails. Even if they don't LOOK dirty, they sure as shit are.
>>
>>7339706
>inb4 Ja/ck/ method
>>
>>7339827
this is why I don't even bother washing my hands
>>7339862
way too late
>>
>>7339811
you're probably cracking too hard or something if you get shells in with option A
>>
>>7339805
>>
>>7339706
A, because that's how Alton Brown says to do it
>>
I just punch my egg shells.
>>
>>7339716
this guy knows what's up
>>
File: 1453771464830.jpg (21 KB, 591x336) Image search: [Google]
1453771464830.jpg
21 KB, 591x336
>>7339706
The Scalfani Procedureā„¢: punch the egg with the knuckle of your opposite dominant hand while the other holds the egg.
>>
File: 71ObbDhPkpL._SL1500_.jpg (149 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71ObbDhPkpL._SL1500_.jpg
149 KB, 1500x1500
>>7339706

Z. EZ Cracker
https://youtu.be/6e3z2H1O5zE
>>
>>7339805
I exercise, this keeps cholesterol down. If it gets high, I'll look into eliminating some things from my diet.
>>
>>7340793

>opposite dominant hand while the other holds

wut
>>
>>7339706
I crack my eggs on the side of the counter.
>>
>>7340793
>opposite dominant hand
so your submissive hand?
>>
>>7340839
it's not hard to figure out what he said
>>
>>7340811
holy shit, imagine getting one of those and using it like a sling. wind up and crack the egg to throw the whites and yolk at whoever.
>>
I wear rings on both of my ring fingers, I usually just tap them with the rings and they crack. I got up to 45 eggs in about a minute and a half while I had a special with brioche
>>
I do A but always get some white on the counter. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>7339716
This, unless for some reason you only need one egg.
>>
>>7341631
>wearing jewellery in the kitchen
>>
>>7341631
Go to bed Jack
>>
>>7341631
They should make egg-cracking rings.. The new patent that's probably already been taken.. Great!
>>
>>7339706
There's a general misunderstanding about this. Unwashed eggs, like those sold in Europe have their natural chicken cloaca enzyme coating on the surface intact, which makes the shell mostly impermeable to the outside world. This makes them less susceptible to bacteria, however there is a greater, but rare chance of salmonella on the surface from the hen. These eggs will be sold un-refrigerated a lot of times as they don't need it. These eggs should be cracked on a table. In places like the US, where the outside of the shells are washed, there is close to zero chance of salmonella from the hen on the outside of the shell, but it will be more porous, and thus susceptible to contaminating bacteria from elsewhere. For that reason, they are sold refrigerated. As long as they remain in their shells, and refrigerated up until cracking, it does not matter much if a piece of shell gets in from a bacterial contamination standpoint . It really doesn't matter what method you use.

Eggshell tip: shell fragments always settle at the bottom of the container. If you crack them in a square container, they will be left in the bottom corner if you pour the (unbeaten) eggs out slowly into another container. There is no need to go picking them out.
>>
>meme tier
>meme meme meme
It offends my sensibilities to post in such a bad thread, but I'm genuinely curious.

>>7343443
Couldn't this problem be alleviated by not cracking the eggs so hard on the bowl it flakes? As long as there is a rift in the egg, you can "pull" along it and open it up, no eggshells fall off and no egg yolk or egg white touches the outer shell.
>>
>>7339706
I like it against a solid surface more than like a bowl rim
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 354x247) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 354x247
>>7340811
>this exists
>>
>>7343461
Yeah, that'll work. The whole issue is people ham-fistedly cracking unwashed, unrefrigerated eggs on the rims of bowls, sending bits into the bowl as well as inside the egg itself. If you're careful, you almost never get internal shrapnel. If you're cracking eggs on the counter like an ogre, you can still get shell in the egg white, too. It's just a little bit harder to do for people with less manual dexterity. All of this shit boils down to hand skill and common sense. People that other people listen to start advocating "correct" methods, but deprive them of the reasoning behind them, hence you get all this bullshit. It's really hard to get bacterial food poisoning in your own kitchen nowadays if you're not very unhygienic/stupid.
>>
>>7343552
But you know what works even better than a bowl rim? The edge of a butter knife. Just lightly tap a score line halfway around the egg's equator, and there's almost no chance of shell fragments getting into the bowl if you didn't do it over the bowl. Two-handed operation, though, so pros will never do it at work.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.