[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I freeze bread until I need to use it. My roommate is a fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 41c9zsI4r0L.jpg (30 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
41c9zsI4r0L.jpg
30 KB, 500x272
So I freeze bread until I need to use it. My roommate is a fucking slob and opened up mine probably thinking it was his, but left the bag open. I was gonna defrost it today but noticed it was open and I have no idea how long its been open. Do you guys think it's still good?
>>
>>7336725
Is there any chance you could consider the hypothesis he probably just took out a couple of slices and put the bread back in the freezer, exposing the frozen bread to room temperature for around 1 minute?
>>
If it ain't green or doesn't have maggots in it, it's still good.
>>
>>7336729
I guess, but he has three of his own loaves in there. I kept mine in the back so he really had to dig in there to get to it. But the issue here is that it's been open for I don't know how long.

>>7336737
Alrighty, thanks.
>>
>>7336737
No, most pathogens are invisible.

>>7336725
Are you saying the bread was open in the freezer or outside the freezer? By "good" do you mean safe to eat or unchanged in quality?
>>
>>7336737
By that logic nothing frozen could ever go bad
>>
>>7336762
Even though it's false that a food is only unsafe to eat if it's visibly changed, food cannot actually go bad at -18°C ("go bad" meaning become unsafe to eat). There are no foodborne human pathogens that produce toxins or reproduce below -2°C, so initially safe food continuously stored at freezer temperature will always be good indefinitely.
>>
>>7336792
>food cannot actually go bad at -18°C ("go bad" meaning become unsafe to eat)

Well by that very narrow definition you're right, but long-term freezing affects aroma, tenderness, juiciness, flavor and color. What's the point of freezing the food for that long if it tastes bland as shit
>>
>>7336756
OP is talking about bread, not meat or vegetables. I'm pretty sure commercially produced bread isn't a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses.
>>
>>7336808
You are right but I believed this thread was about food safety. If OP is concerned about the quality of the bread, he should try it so he can judge whether the bread is still up to his standards.
>>
>>7336756
The bag was open in the freezer.
>>
Jumping in this thread to also ask if it's safe to eat something

>>Buyed some pork loin by the end of december
>>Froze it
>>Moved to another house and it defrosted for about 12 hours
>>Froze it again
Is it safe to eat or should I just throw it away?
>>
My mom used to put bread in the fridge... It made it crunchy, like it was stale.
I like my bread to be soft and a little chewy, so it was always a rush to for me to make a sandwich after my mother went to the grocery store before she put the bread in the fridge.
>>
>>7336849
safe to eat, horrible texture
>>
>>7336849
don't eat it
>>
>>7336826
I guess I'll just have to try it in a bit then.

>>7336852
Sometimes that happens to me as well, where one side of the bottom of the loaf is rock solid and the other side is soggy after defrosting. It's kinda gross but it's fine if I cut the bottom off.
>>
>>7336849
It is safe to eat only if the temperature of all parts of the meat stayed at or below fridge temperature (4-5 °C or 40 °F) for at least 10 of those 12 hours. If it was above fridge temperature for longer than 2 hours, it is not safe to eat. If it was stored at room temperature during that time, it is not safe to eat.
>>
>>7336852
>keeping bread in the fridge
Why
>>
>>7336881
I left it inside styrofoam box during that time, though.
>>
>>7336725
>freeze bread
Jesus how was the depression?
>>
>>7337194
>Jesus how was the depression?
I'm not OP. While I don't freeze bread, I waste a lot of it. Living in a warm and humid climate, delicious old fashioned bakery bread doesn't go 2-3 days without getting a damp edge, spotting or molding over.

I do keep bread dough for rolls, english muffins, and bagels in the freezer. Frozen bread, if sliced can go into a toaster and be awesome. If frozen well, its the equivalent of fresh bread, if you like toasting.

I will sometimes toss some bread into the freezer if my plans change and I go out of town, but I have to admit, I rarely do thaw it or use it. It goes to the trash when I need room.
>>
>>7336725

>putting bread on the fridge

nigger, what in the flying fuck are you doing

Bread doesn't magically go bad because of being outside, and putting it on the fridge makes it crusty and stiff.

Holy shit, you're retarded.
>>
>>7337208

>saving bread for more than 2-3 days

nigger, I repeat, what the fuck are you doing, if you're going to buy bakery bread eat it on a 1-2 days period.
>>
>>7337266
I live alone. I enjoy what I want, and then it goes into a recipe or the trash.
>>
>>7337284

unless you're a fatass why the fuck are you buying so many bread you don't even eat? As you said you live alone, you're just wasting your money.
>>
>>7337305
>want some bread
>won't eat a whole loaf
>only option is to buy a whole loaf
>just buy less or eat it all in two days LMAO
>>
>>7337305
>unless you're a fatass why the fuck are you buying so many bread you don't even eat? As you said you live alone, you're just wasting your money.
Either I eat 25% of what I buy, or I simply never have bread at home. Only a fatass would gorge on it just to avoid being wasteful.
>>
>>7337320

what kind of country doesn't have small bread loafs on sale?
>>
>>7337320
>>7337325

then just buy a smaller size of bread loaf, holy shit, refrigerating the bread is one of the worst things you could do.

If you fear the bread going bad so much put it on a plastic bag and store it on a dry and clean site
>>
>>7337352
>>7337360
like i'm going to pay that fucking ridiculous 40% markup on the small loaves
>>
>>7337363
So just buy the full size and freeze what you're not going to use. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>7337373
or I could just throw the other half out and buy a new loaf every week instead of having bread in my freezer
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.