[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /ck/ im ass at cooking, mainly because i dont cook. tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
hey /ck/ im ass at cooking, mainly because i dont cook. tell me how did you get better and what basic knowledge should i have?
>>
>>7335757
>i dont cook
There's your problem.
>get better
By cooking.
>what basic knowledge should i have
If you can sear or grill a piece of meat, then you're well on your way to eating just about anything. Serve it with some steamed rice and sauteed vegetables.

>searing
>grilling
>steaming
>saute'ing
>>
Just read a bunch of recipes online, then go out and buy enough spices and herbs to make the ones that you'd want to. From then on cooking from a recipe is literally colouring by numbers.
>>
>>7335757
honestly there's really just 2 things to do, cook food and be willing to try out things and combinations. you should never say no to different things/combinations unless you've done it, tasted it and hated it.
>>
>>7335757
I was asked to cook when I was a young teenager. I fucked it up a bit (squash was a bit raw), but I was interested.

Tried making simple meals after, especially dishes I want to eat. Of course I fucked up a lot, but I learned.

I watch food shows sometimes (nat geo people, asian food channel, etc). Picked up some stuff there.

Then slowly absorbed techniques over the years.

I'm not a pro, nor do work in the food business, but yeah cooking is an important skill to learn.
>>
>>7335757
Mostly just through practice and bothering to think about what went wrong or needs improving.

Taste food as you make it. Remember that it needs salt.
>>
>>7335757
You will start off making shit and that's ok
If you give up, you'll never make good food
Keep cooking and keep learning
The best chefs in the world started by burning toast
>>
File: rsz_1445711309238.jpg (88 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
rsz_1445711309238.jpg
88 KB, 768x432
>>7335757
Go on the internet.
Google "how make steak med-rare"
Look up a recipe
Obey instructions
Look up a video of someone doing it
Watch it
Cook
Taste
Rate

Rinse and repeat with different foods.

I also suggest getting to know someone who knows how to cook. They can be a little autistic about their preferences (for example how to fucking cut zucchinis right and with what kind of knife or what brand of tongs/pans are the best) but mostly you'll get good tips.

Oh, and also learn to clean up afterwards. Cleaning your shit is 30% of the work.
>>
>>7335757
Avoid the Booru, it's shit.
>>
I learned by watching food television. I guess it's kinda harder for the next generation because most current food tv is complete garbage consisting of people cooking with garbage... Luckily there are still a few shows around that just show basic cooking skills and easy recipes. Follow a few of those, watch more and read about dishes you want to try and just give it a go.
>>
>>7335757
first you have to become a spice master.
>>
>>7335757
>how did you get better
Living alone for 5 years is good for experimenting
>>
>>7335757
Start with stews and pastas. They're simple.
>>
>>7336070
So much this. I learned to cook by watching Good Eats, so helpful.
>>
>>7335757
Don't think about it as "what basic knowledge should I have?" Just start cooking. I mean, it's best if you don't do anything TOO complicated to start with, but what the fuck would you even make that's that complicated? Just start following recipes, pay attention to what you're doing. Did it turn out well? Start learning from there. Really, the basic "skill" of cooking just comes from doing it, over and over, and adjusting for your fuckups.

Watch some cooking shows to see if there are bits of advice here and there you hadn't considered. Otherwise, there's not much you can learn without just fucking doing it.

Oh, eggs are a perfect way to pick up the "basics." They're cheap, quick, and it's easy to see exactly how any change in technique, temperature, equipment, etc. affects the end result. Also eggs are hard to do consistently well, every single time. Even the pros fuck 'em up sometimes. Plus if you fuck up, the results are usually edible enough, and safe.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.