[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get this level of crispiness, /ck/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: hotshots.jpg (77 KB, 845x1000) Image search: [Google]
hotshots.jpg
77 KB, 845x1000
How do you get this level of crispiness, /ck/?
>>
>>7335542
chemical leaveners
>>
>>7335553
I was thinking of trying cornstarch, but I might experiment with baking soda tomorrow since I have some.
>>
File: kfchotshots.jpg (190 KB, 600x376) Image search: [Google]
kfchotshots.jpg
190 KB, 600x376
Will be making this soon. Any more advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>7335703
Tis a slow board, anon.

I've heard cornstarch works.
>>
>>7335715
Will try cornstarch, thanks.
>>
coat twice, fry twice
>>
>>7335703

Other than what was already mentioned:

1) if you are using breading, flour, or starch (e.g. not batter) then make sure you let the coating dry a bit before you fry it.

2) the temp of the oil is critical. Use a thermometer or a deep-fryer with a thermostat to make sure the oil temperature is correct. Do not overcrowd the fryer (put too much food in it) otherwise the oil temp will drop and you end up with soggy, greasy food.
>>
>>7336043
>>7336017
Thanks.

What are your thoughts on batter? Would the crunchiness hold well over time compared to flour/starch?
>>
File: chicken on rack.jpg (435 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
chicken on rack.jpg
435 KB, 1600x1200
>>7336052

What you posted was breaded rather than battered. Batter is nice, but it's a different kind of texture than what you mentioned. Its crispiness remains about the same as breading.

Oh, and I forgot an important detail! After you fry your chicken (or whatever), try and put it on a RACK rather than onto a flat surface like a plate or absorbent paper. If the hot food is sitting against a solid surface then steam will collect on the bottom of the food and will make it soggy. Prevent this by putting the food on a rack so that the steam can dissipate rather than being trapped against the food. Pic related.
>>
also KFC uses a pressure cooker to fry so that has something to do with it
>>
>>7336120

That's just for speed. You can get perfectly crisp fried chicken without one.
>>
>>7336086
From the looks of the hot shots, I expected it to be battered than breaded. Thanks for the input. Will definitely do the rack thing.
>>
I just did battered fried chicken for the first time today based on this recipe for Korean fried chicken: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/korean-fried-chicken-recipe.html

The only difference is I used all water instead of half vodka for the batter, and cooked with vegetable oil in a flat-bottomed big skillet instead of wok. The problem was that the batter stuck to the bottom of the pan like glue, and I lost about half of by batter to the pan and got greasier chicken for it. Any way to prevent this? Should I have just used more oil so the chicken didn't touch the bottom?

For OP's question, my crispiest fried chicken has always came from using some type of crumb along with flour. I typically run Ritz crackers through the blender until they're a pretty fine crumb and mix that with about half a cup of flour. The bits of cracker really add to the crunch. A bit of baking powder goes a long way, too.
>>
KFC's popcorn chicken is deep fried just like the chips. Like if you have a deep fryer at home you can get someone to grab a bag from that store and it'll turn out exactly same. I used to do it when I worked there.
>>
>>7336011
Wanna watch out though. Frying with corn starch makes oil splatter everywhere as it cooks.
>>
does anyone remember the original kfc popcorn chicken? it was a lot crispier than when they brought it back after it disappeared. these new things are more like ordinary nuggets.

>>7337858
a popeyes where I used to live had jars of ingredients as decorations in the restaurant. the breading definitely had a coarser texture than plain flour, but I don't think it was just crumbs. I've tried frying chicken with breadcrumbs or crushed corn flakes before and you can tell that the crispyness is just bits of whatever you added. the secret has to be making the crumbs out of the same stuff as the rest of your breading somehow.
>>
>>7335542
i think there is extra fat in the flour they use to bread the chicken. you might want to try basically using a biscuit dough without the leavener and liquid added. just add a small amount of butter or oil to make the flour lumpy.
>>
>>7338856
if you drip tiny amounts of butter milk into your flour mixture and mix it with a fork you will achieve those chunky bits that attach to the outside and make that texture.
>>
>>7335542
>not sure if australian kfc is just shit, but I always got soggy greasy chicken.
Oporto is much better.
>>
>>7339031
>Oportos
>Not Ogalos

Pleb.
>>
i coat my chicken in plain unsweetened yogurt then coat with plain flour helps it go shaggy like kfc
>>
>>7339031
>>7339040
>Oportos
>Ogalos
>Not a cheeky Nandos

Plebbest of plebs.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.