[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pork loins were buy one get one at publix this weekend so i decided
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: porck-chops.jpg (124 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
porck-chops.jpg
124 KB, 1000x1000
Pork loins were buy one get one at publix this weekend so i decided to buy some for the first time. I experimented with two different recipes. One involved a barbecue, honey, sriracha marinade and the other involved a brine with salt, pepper, brown sugar, honey, worcestershire, and garlic.

I butterflied the larges loins and cooked them on the stove top so that they were just cooked through. My experience was very meh both times.

I don't see myself ever buying pork again. Do you guys actually eat this shit? Did I fuck up?
>>
Pork chops are shit.

A pork loin greater than a kg can be nice if cooked properly. The leaner cuts of pork though, they are much easier to over cook.
When this happens, its dry as fuck.

Pork loin isn't bad, you just need to make sure you pull it out after it hits 145 degrees.
Don't waste your time with chops.
>>
File: 7484882574434.jpg (5 KB, 238x212) Image search: [Google]
7484882574434.jpg
5 KB, 238x212
>>7332804
>siracha marinade
>>
>>7332819
I like pork chops anon.
>>
>>7332804
Unfortunately, modern supermarket pork is largely crap. The pigs get poor feed, they are slaughtered at a young age, and the fear of ZOMG FAT has made the meat super lean. All of that adds up to equal tasteless.

>>Did I fuck up?
I don't know. I didn't taste or see your dishes. But because it is so lean it is very easy to overcook and have it come out dry. You said that they were "just cooked through" so I assume you had a little touch of pink still left in the center? If it was solid white then it was overcooked. Also, did you get a good sear on the meat? That's important for good flavor. If the meat came out gray on the outside rather than golden brown that would cost you some flavor too.
>>
>>7332804
my experiences with pork was just panfrying them with oil. turned out okay, tasted a bit like chicken.
>>
>>7332830
For flavor, bone-in pork chops are the way to go. The boneless loin chops are fine, but you have to be very precise with your cooking method because they dry out so easily. I usually buy the loin chops for making pork schnitzel, they're great for that.
>>
>>7332804
>Did I fuck up?
do you have to ask?
>>
File: 253331.jpg (123 KB, 952x462) Image search: [Google]
253331.jpg
123 KB, 952x462
>>7332804
Yeah, pork loin isn't good for much on its own. Not too flavorful, and like another anon said, very easy to dry out. The one great thing about them is how damn cheap they are.

That being said, these jap curry blocks are the one surefire way I've found to make some tasty pork loin. I eat a lot and cook for the entire week in one go, so I'll make a stew with 3lbs of cubed pork loin, carrot, and eggplant. Fantastic over rice. If you have more time, cutting the loin into cutlets, breading, then frying them with the curry and rice is also delicious.
>>
File: IMG_20160131_164657-1.jpg (550 KB, 864x865) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160131_164657-1.jpg
550 KB, 864x865
>>7332804
I fell for the bogo pork chops too, and bogo lacroix.

I was thinking about brining the chops, dredging in flour+basic seasonings, and then just pan frying them.

Its really all about not over cooking them.
>>
>>7332867
>cheap

pork is at least 50% more expensive than chicken in australia
>>
File: 1451419116430.png (10 KB, 439x474) Image search: [Google]
1451419116430.png
10 KB, 439x474
>>7332897
>in australia
>>
>>7332833
Mostly white with a little pink. The sear could have been better. Overall I thought it tasted like tainted and more expensive chicken.
>>
>>7332984

See what I mean about it supermarket pork being crap meat these days? Pork should taste like pork.

Next time try using the darker meat, like from the shoulder or so-called "country style ribs" (which aren't actually ribs). That is more flavorful than the lighter loin.
>>
>>7332804
>publix
wtf is a pubelix
>>
>>7332804
I usually use cajun spice and fry them along with carrots n tomatoes.
>>
>>7333055

It's a supermarket chain
>>
>>7333055
Probably the best overall supermarket chain in the US
>>
File: pork-neck.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pork-neck.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>7332804
Pork chops from loin are like chicken breasts. Lean and popular, but easy to dry out and not very flavourful. Around here you can get steaks of pork neck at a slightly higher but still affordable price. They're similar in fat content and tenderness to a rib-eye steak and you can cook them the same. Get a heavy sear on them and finish to an internal temp of 145F / 63C.
They taste wonderful and are more forgiving than a steak if you overcook them.
>>
>>7332804

I don't know if this is the thread for this, but the smell of my pork almost made me throw up. It's fresh pork, though.

I haven't eaten or cooked pork in one year, though, it could be that my organism just behaves that way because of the long period?
>>
File: IMG_20160201_200136-1.jpg (226 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160201_200136-1.jpg
226 KB, 800x600
>>7332804
Anon >>7332894 here. I ended up brining a pork chop, searing it and then finishing it in the oven. I let it cook a little too long and probably could have brined longer but it came out surprisingly good, juicy and tender.
>>
tonkatsu. or ginger pork.
>>
>>7333126
Neck is without a doubt the best part of pig. It stays moist no matter what you do with it.
>>
>>7332842
some how Ive been buying boneless chops for the last 2 weeks, cause theyre cheaper than chicken, and Ive only fucked them up once frying them in an iron skillet. it gets delicious
>>
Try to use rosemary, juniper berries crushed and some oregano.

Pork is pretty sweet by itself, just use earthy fresh and tangy flavours.
>>
>>7332897
It's like $1.50 a pound for half or whole loins at my local supermarket. God Bless 'Murica
>>
I had pork loin for lunch earlier, Anon. There wasn't anything else in the freezer. I marinated it in some lemon juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, and a bunch of herbs and spices, then had it with some bell peppers and a sauce made from the marinade.

It was a bit too sour for my taste but other than that it was alright. I wish I had a large piece of pork loin, not shit chops, but it was fine.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.