[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whisky General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13
File: lgvob.16yo.jpg (130 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
lgvob.16yo.jpg
130 KB, 540x720
Picked up some Lagavulin 16 today. I enjoyed it.

Also, whisky general. Whatcha drinking?
>>
black velvet

broke and depressed as fuck
>>
I like Glenlevit and Mcallan. I buy evan williams when im broke.
>>
File: clip+(2016-01-31+at+11.45.33).jpg (176 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2016-01-31+at+11.45.33).jpg
176 KB, 960x720
Found this from previous guns/booze circlejerk. Ignore the gun.
>>
>>7331191
750ml of jim beam checking in
>>
Thought I'd give Justerini and Brooks a go.

Not bad for the price I guess, more of a mixer than anything.
>>
>>7331191
OP here.

Stocking my home bar with more variety.

Currently, all I have are Bulleit Bourbon, Jameson, and Lagavulin.

Any other recommendations? I like Jameson for the price to quality ratio, but are there other must-have Irish whiskies?

I don't know shit about Canadian or Japanese whisky.

For rye, I should probably pick up a bottle of Bulleit as well.
>>
lagavulin is like essence of serial killer. way too rough for my tastes.
>>
>>7331191
Saw this at the store today but wasn't going to spend 100USD for it, I'm too poor at the moment
>>
>>7333234
That's expensive. Should be like $75-80. And I live in SoCal.

>>7333225
I am a bit of a scotch n00b, but I like it. It's like drinking smoked meat. It tastes substantial. What scotch do you like?
>>
>>7333260
>Should be like $75-80.
>>7333234
>100USD
damn really? i bought a bottle ~10 years ago, cost me £28
>>
>>7331191
If you like Lagavulin try Laphroig and Talisker.
>>
>>7333260
47€ in Germany, about 52$. It's really enjoyable. There are whiskys that are way more intense, almost like drinking liquid smoke.
>>
>>7333260
>What scotch do you like?
a smooth, creamy, yamakazi 12 year old, ideally.
>tfw on a list because of this post
>>
>>7333268
>>7333274
Probably more expensive in the US for reasons.

>>7333271
Thanks I'll check those out.
>>
File: vat69.png (83 KB, 150x500) Image search: [Google]
vat69.png
83 KB, 150x500
>>7331191
My go to swilling whisky. Good bang for buck.
>>
File: crown-royal[1].jpg (91 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
crown-royal[1].jpg
91 KB, 620x349
Picked up some crown royal northern harvest rye the other day. Pretty fuckin good for $26
>>
File: 10399486[1].jpg (27 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
10399486[1].jpg
27 KB, 450x600
enjoying a bottle of Cutty Sark right now
>>
>>7333376
Where? I haven't seen a bottle for sale in over a month.
>>
>>7333398
Bevmo in Northern California
>>
had to take a break from whisky.
dick stopped working
i miss it terribly
red wine isnt filling the hole like the taste of a simple every day whisky like an aberlour 10
erections are becoming firmer though
ill choose which is more important to me in the coming months
>>
>>7333268
>>7333260
Yeah, I saw it for $99, and as much as i want to try it and add it to my collection, I had to pass.

It was either pay my rent or buy the Lagavulin 16 finally.
>>
>>7333488
>dick stopped working
That's the worst thing about drinking alcohol.

On New Years I lost my virginity but it took ages to get hard enough to put it in her and then I just couldn't get off. Fucking alcohol, it's like and off switch for you dick and I hate it
>>
this is my go to, but i'm starting to run low. might just do some johnnie walker black label. still at work for another hour though.
>>
Got the 2015 bottling of Lagavulin 12 CS, and it's very nice. Reminds me of a fruityer citrusyer Ardbeg, with a "cleaner" smoke. Ardbeg's smoke often to make has hints of tar, and I think it says as much on the "official" tasting notes, though it walks the line between dark chocolate. The Lagavulin's smoke is really savory and rich without any bitterness, though by being younger and preserving this smoke, it lacks the more chocolate-orangey character of the 16. I've got a lot of LAFROOG sitting around because it was cheap this Christmas, and as much of a meme as it is I find it to be consistently good quality. In contrast, while the first Highland Park I had was excellent, the second bottle was rather thin and lacked the same personality, so I've been hesitant to get any more HP. Just finished a Glenfiddich 15, that "solera" thing, and while it was a good deal for the age, I actually found it too woody/tannic for the other complexities to make a statement. It definitely has a fair bit of complexity, but there's a bitter woody note that throws it off key for me.
>>
Drinking Four Roses. I've been sticking to $20 bourbon and now I'm scared to try anything else.
>>
>>7333956
I was doing $20 bourbon for a while. Then I thought life is too short. So I got the Lagavulin to drink every once in a while and I still have the bourbon to drink frequently.

If you drink bourbon neat, then scotch will seem a lot smoother. I think it makes me appreciate it more.
>>
File: ms27.jpg (212 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
ms27.jpg
212 KB, 1600x1600
Finished off one of these recently. Pretty good for a $35 bottle.
>>
>>7331191

Lagavulin is peaty - the other readily available ones that are really peaty are Laphroaig and Ardbeg.

I have to water those down quite a bit before they are pleasant to drink.

If you want something really smooth - Balvenie Caribbean Cask.
>>
>>7331193
>black velvet
is it good?
>>
>>7332125
>must-have Irish whiskies
Tyrconnell
>>
>>7335045
its very smooth, so its easy to drink straight

also its on the cheaper end of the spectrum, bottom shelf stuff for sure, but not half bad if your drinking for the alcohol and not the pretension
>>
>>7334516
Yeah, that one is really well balanced and very pleasant, especially considering the price
>>
I'm usually one of the Islay fanboys, my shelf is stocked with laphroig, lagavulin, ardbeg and the like.
But I'd like to make a whisky sour, because I usually enjoy those when I have one at a bar, but those are usually made with four roses or other cocktail whiskeys. I obviously can't use Islay, that'd be a waste of whisky and lemon. But what do I use? I've read up on bourbon a bit and I think I'll just get wild turkey 101 to start out. Good idea, bad idea?
>>
Islay is fairly overrated.

Here's what I've been drinking: Balblair 1991 finished in Crozes-Hermitage casks. Fucking divine.
>>
>>7336431
Bulleit makes a good bourbon. Maker's Mark is good for the price. I use those 2 in my old fashions.
>>
>>7331231
My buddy had a bottle of Ardbeg and it had a distinct formaldehyde smell/taste to it. Not good.
>>
Never had any whiskey in my life besides jack fucking daniels. Whats a good starter whiskey thats quality? Budget would be around $30-40. Higher ABV the better
>>
Have just received a bottle of Aberfeldy 12yo for fixing a colleagues and their partners laptop.
I like it but not as much as the Highland Park 12yo - I much prefer the smoky finish from that.

A recent purchase was a small 20cl bottle of Talisker 10. I'm really liking its strong smoke on the nose and long smooth smoky finish.
I haven't found my cheap as shit go-to yet. Was thinking of trying Bells to see how that sits on my palate as I'm not a fan of Glenfiddich or Grouse although truth be told I'd like the Glenlivet Founders Reserve to be £10 cheaper as I love it's velvety mouth feel.
>>
>>7336431
maker's mark, woodford reserve, and buffalo trace are prob the best bourbons for the price, i'd recommend starting there
>>
>>7337097
Try Dickel 12 if you want a proper Tennessee whiskey
>>
>>7331191
Not sure why people ooh and ahh about single malts. It's nifty it turned out well and they didn't have to blend it with some old stuff. Wow. But really it has nothing to do with nothing except your snobbery. Flavor is flavor. If it's done well, that's it then.

When enjoying Jameson, you enjoy lack of smoke (their process), and that extra flavor and wood sugar that comes from the sherry casks that have been charred. People like to turn their nose up at that, but it's a fine brand which could charge alot more than they do.

Peat, smoke, delicate, smooth, rich.... whatever you like, every scotch has a plot on the flavor map somewhere. You like what you like, and that's preference, really. You might prefer one more for different moods, even.

It's also not wrong how you like to drink whiskys, and in fact, some water is needed to taste all the flavors. If you want to have it taste different, mute flavors for variety, then you might like it cooler vs warmer. People need to calm down, and just try lots of things. In general, ratings do weed out some lesser priced options as doable. Price does indeed need to go up with aging, since so much volume is lost in the process. But, aside from that specialness, price isn't at all based on quality, but brand demand, which isn't always based on quality either.

Bourbons use different woods, char or no char (char can be sweeter and yet cleaner).

Re Japanese whisky...there's a sherry cask alternative to Jameson that has good ratings. I haven't tried it, wouldn't turn down a taste, but I'm not seeking it out either.
>>
>>7337097

Start with Bottled In Bond Whiskey

It's 100 proof and it will narrow down the choices if you're looking for new things to try.
>>
>>7337097
boatil ay laphraoigh laddie
>>
Just turned 21. Got some wild turkey as my first alcohol purchase. Really enjoying it so far. What would be a nice step up? My budget is $70.
>>
>>7337451
Glenlivet 15.
>>
File: ec.gif (39 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ec.gif
39 KB, 250x250
>>7331191

Does this count? It's technically white dog, aka moonshine. Mixed with pepsi because I hate myself.
>>
>>7337144

>Flavor is flavor. If it's done well, that's it then

As you say, there are all sorts of flavors out there. If you want something with a particular distinct character and with more unique complexity, you're more likely to get it with a decent single malt than from the average blend, which tend to be more homogeneous. There are of course bland single malts and great blends, but the vast majority of scotch sales are blends, made indistinct and unremarkable because they're intended to appeal to a maximally wide audience and probably be mixed or something. Comparing the average blend versus the average single malt, the latter is going to on average get you something with more flavor done better. So it really is based on more than snobbery that people get attracted to single malts.
>>
>>7337497
Why the recommendation?
>>
>>7337507
>Juice of 12 Lemons
>Juice of 12 Oranges
>1 Kettle Tea

Add devil water to taste
>>
File: size.jpg (131 KB, 342x456) Image search: [Google]
size.jpg
131 KB, 342x456
>>7337647

It's delicious. Tastes like dried apricot, pears, with hints of raisins and honey.

18 is objectively better, but it doesn't have the same young flavor as 15 and (imo) not worth the price.
>>
File: pentagon.jpg (64 KB, 960x509) Image search: [Google]
pentagon.jpg
64 KB, 960x509
>>7337802

Thanks! I'll try that.
>>
>>7337095
It goes away after you finish half a bottle. That hospital disinfectant smell is really disturbing, yeah, but eventually you stop noticing it. Same with any other peated scotch like Laphroaig or Lagavulin.
>>
>>7337812
I have been considering trying scotch. Has anyone had any good experiences with American single malts though? Or are they not worth it?
>>
I got a bottle of pinch 15 for my birthday. Does anyone have any opinions on that? I haven't opened it or tried it because I love the bottle too much
>>
>>7337143
Seconding this. Dickel #12 is really good for the price.
>>
is doll weenies good?
>>
>>7337090
>>7337110
Thanks, will start there.
>>
File: irish_red1.jpg (141 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
irish_red1.jpg
141 KB, 540x720
>>7332125

Redbreast is great. The 12 year is fantastic, smooth, but has a unique taste that stands out from other Irish whiskies. It can get a bit pricy, but the 12 year cask strength and 15 yr might be worth a buy. They all get consistently high praise and scores from double blind competitions.
>>
>>7337812

Did you mean Glenlivet or Glenfiddich? Your first post said Glenlivet but your pic is of Glenfiddich. Just curious which one you're recommending
>>
>>7337865
>>7337095
You niggers must have gotten a bad batch.
In fact I don't think I've ever had a whiskey with this meme "formaldehyde smell" to it.
>>
>>7338975
Well it's usually only found in heavily peated Scotch whisky. I doubt mass-market Irish or American whiskey fucks with peat.

You've never opened an Ardbeg or Laphroaig with that band-aid/disinfectant smell hitting you first?
>>
>>7338979
My go to currently is lagavulin and I have a bottle of ardbeg uigeadail sitting on my shelf and I've never had that experience, no.
Then again I've never looked for it.
You sure it's not just psychosomatic?
>>
>>7338988
Nope, I've exposed friends to it as well and they immediately suggest "grandpa's medicine chest" and "lit a band-aid on fire" as their first impression of peat.

Again, I only noticed it for the first half of the bottle. Guessing my nose acclimated to it...
>>
>>7339000
I would suggest that it's the smell/taste of alcohol you're getting from being unaccustomed to strong alcoholic beverages but I almost never drink myself so that seems unlikely.
>>
>>7339006
No, I've been drinking hard liquor for years. I don't get that smell from tequila, rum, or bourbon, only peated scotch.
>>
>>7333362
They used to make that in my town, my grandad worked there along with half the towns irish population, he prefered Bell's or Johnny Waler though if he was drinking blended.
>>
File: Jura-10-LARGE.jpg (738 KB, 851x1052) Image search: [Google]
Jura-10-LARGE.jpg
738 KB, 851x1052
Got this for £22, down from £30, not too bad stuff, light peaty flavour with a little vanilla, quite spicy on the finish.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.