[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do these pieces of shit even exist? I'm not talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: DSC_0008.jpg (199 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0008.jpg
199 KB, 1600x1071
why do these pieces of shit even exist? I'm not talking about the gimmick induction stoves, but the kind that has an ordinary heating element under a glass surface.

>takes forever to heat up
>when it finally does heat up lowest setting is too hot, soups boil instead of simmer
>highest setting is too cold, meat steams instead of fries
>can't use any of my antique pans because they have slightly deformed bottoms

just think about the layers and layers of stupidity that had to have happened to get these things into people's homes. first some dumb fuck engineer had invent it. then some business man had to think it was a good idea and decide to sell it. then a bunch of marketers had to convince people that it wasn't the stupidest fucking thing you'll ever think you wanted, and finally a bunch of mouthbreathing hydrocephaloids had to actually spend money on them.

seriously what the fuck?
>>
@7330607
here's your (you)
>>
>>7330649
is this your first day here from reddit?
>>
>>7330649

>@7330607

Absolutely pathetic.
>>
>>7330649
upboated
>>
>>7330607
you forgot to mentio the fact that it's glass and therefore scratches/shatters

That's futurism for you. Aesthetic>durability>>>function
>>
>>7330607
yeah my grandparents buy these

>notice the wording

they break a lot and are expensive to fix .. better off just buying a whole new one

they're terrible

i have an induction hot plate though, it's the shit
>>
>>7330607
They're easy to clean.
>>
>>7330767
yeah im sure the engineers who made this would never have thought about this
>>
>>7330788
Thinking engineers design any consumer product, ever. "Imagineers" design. Engineers have to sacrifice their first born to make the designs a reality.
>>
>>7330736
>>7330742
>>7330744
It's true. /ck/ is the absolute bottom of the barrel and the easiest to bait.
>>
>>7330607
My house came with this, but we don't have gas in the kitchen, so it's not like we have much of a choice.
>>
>>7330607
I sat in an oven factory and invented the future, because artists lead, and hacks ask for a show of hands.
>>
File: 1454092671131.jpg (173 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1454092671131.jpg
173 KB, 1080x720
>>7331697
>>
>>7330607
no gas connection
>>
>>7330607

Had one made by Westinghouse. Would cook a good steak, great eggs, etc etc.

They are shit,sure, but some mongoloid from the gas company decided to not hook up gas to every home lol. But srs, if it's boiling on the lowest setting on the element that fits, move it to the smallest on low. Not hard.

Skill beats equipment in the kitchen.
>>
They look neat and they're easy to clean and I've never had a problem cooking on mine. I think the only downside is it can take a while for them to cool down but you can just swap to a different spot to eliminate that problem.
>>
File: 1451283253914.png (959 KB, 1080x1325) Image search: [Google]
1451283253914.png
959 KB, 1080x1325
>>
>>7330607
>why do these pieces of shit even exist?

They're no different performance-wise than the old coil-type electrics, except they are much easier to clean.

....doesn't really matter though; gas is king.
>>
>>7330607
They're significantly easier to keep clean.
>>
>>7331766
>They're no different performance-wise than the old coil-type electrics
I've used both and the shitty glass top takes way longer to heat up and cool down.
>>
>>7332668

Maybe it depends on the brand. About 6 months ago my old coil stove was beyond repair (already replaced so many parts on it so many times it was just time to get rid of it) and replaced it with a flat-top electric. I noticed no difference in how quickly it heats up.

I did, however, notice exactly what OP mentioned about the simmer settings. Even the lowest setting can sometimes be too high for gentle simmering.
>>
>>7331734
is there any reason you shouldnt do this?
>>
>>7331686
Mine also came with the house. As for the lowest setting that burns, I have a 5th heating element that is a "warming" station. It doesn't get hot enough to burn.
>>
>>7332875

Sure. The thermal shock from putting something wet directly onto the glass could crack it. If you burn juices of the food onto the glass it can be difficult to clean off. Also the stovetop heats unevenly without a pan on it. See the lines of heat and then the darker bands in between? Uneven heating. Also how on earth are you supposed to toss ingredients, make pan sauces, or do all sorts of other cooking techniques without a pan?
>>
>>7332891

Yeah, mine has that warming station too. It does a good job keeping food warm but mine is not strong enough to actually simmer.
>>
>>7330607
Yeah these things are fucking retarded. Gas is the only viable option.

I don't feel like waiting half an hour for the stove to heat up, then having to suffer on low heat, and not being able to press the fucking buttons to turn it off. Once it is off, it takes another fucking half hour for it to cool down. Fuck that.
>>
Gas stove/electric oven
>>
>>7332901
benihana
>>
I don't cook on the stove top enough to care. I'm fine with an electric oven.
>>
our induction heats up very fast! it gets 500 ml of water to boiling point in like 30 seconds, its insane
>>
>>7330788
um.. they do break

my pressure canner hold 23 quarts and the directions say not to use a glass top stove because it's too heavy and will shatter it
>>
>>7332920

So you cook all your food teppanyaki style? Wouldn't you be upset about the round hot spots and cold black areas between them on that glass stove? How do you think the top is going to hold up with all that spatula-ing? Do you think that glass top has a grease trap/discard area like a proper flat-top has?
>>
>>7332955

Yes
>>
>>7330607
I don't know of a single house with gas in it here, that's why.
>>
>>7333287
Must suck to live there then. Gas stove is one of the things near the top of the list when I look for a new place to live.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.