[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blenders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: blenders11[1].jpg (20 KB, 426x280) Image search: [Google]
blenders11[1].jpg
20 KB, 426x280
I want to get a nice power blender for making soups, smoothies, etc. Is Vitamix still the best option or is it some meme shit? The Ninjas get good reviews but they seem like shills or idiots most of the time.

How do I into blending?
>>
>>7327573
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-blender/
>>
>>7327601
This says that the Oster Versa is the best value but the Vitamix is actually better and is the only one that can make nut butters.

I'm leaning towards Vitamix but it's very expensive even for the recertified ones.
>>
I have a Philips Avance blender, very happy with it.
>>
>>7327573
I use an Oster at home, and a Vitamix at work.
I now have a Vitamix in my Amazon cart.
>>
>>7327573
I have had the same Vita-Mix for 13 years now. Use it 5-10 times a week, every week since I got it.
Only had to replace 1 container and 1 set of blades. Well worth the investment.
>>
>>7329568
Cool, what model would you recommend? I see people saying either the 7500 or the 5200.
>>
File: TXCMr76.png (187 KB, 1906x1761) Image search: [Google]
TXCMr76.png
187 KB, 1906x1761
>>7327573
>>
Have a Blendtec for about 6 months. Love the bitch. Can be a bit of a challenge to clean, but so what.
Had one over 20years back, my former druggie roommate would blend everything and well ....
Did want to purchase, but Naturopath convinced me. Smoothies can be a challenge, dependent upon on the protein amount and ground flax that I use. Use grapefruit juice, whole cream or flax or almond beverage in the bitch.
Peace
>>
>>7329786
>Can be a bit of a challenge to clean, but so what.

How so? You put the jar and the lid in the dishwasher and let it run. I can't imagine anything being easier, especially compared to most blenders which have a jar, the collar or base at the bottom of the jar, a gasket, and blade assembly. The blendtec is just a lid and the jar. That's it. No gaskets to mess with (or replace), no chance of cutting yourself on a bare blade, fewer parts. One of the big surprises that I got when I bought by Blendtec was how EASY it was to clean compared to the other blenders that I have used. I use it a lot more than any of my previous blenders because the cleaning is so simple.
>>
Sous Chef here.
I have used both Vitamix and Blentec throughout my career.

Power-wise they are the same. Either one will but home blenders to shame.

Blentec has much more reliable jars. Do some research and you will see that Vitamix had at least two RECALLS for their blades coming apart. In fact, Blendtec makes a version of their jars to fit the Vitamix, which is what we use in my current restaurant.

Controls: this is a matter of preference. Vitamix has a very large on-and-off toggle switch and a knob to control speed. It's super simple and the big switch is easy to use with dirty hands. Most Blendtecs have a keypad with different "modes" that run automatic cycles. I must admit that the cycles do work very well, but honestly I prefer the controls on the Vitamix.

Jars. In addition to the recall issue I mentioned above, Blendtec has another major advantage in the jar department: they make various size jars, including the super-useful very small ones which are awesome for making thick pastes (nut butters) and for chopping small amounts of herbs and spices which simply don't blend as well in a large jar.

What blender did I buy for my home? Refurbished Blendtec.
>>
>>7329786
>>7329828
You don't even need to use a dishwasher. They work as their own dishwasher. Half fill with hot water, add a dash of detergent, blend on high for a while, then rinse. Gummier stuff like nut butters might take a couple of runs this way, but it's still quite effective.
>>
>>7329899

Yeah, but that's more effort than just dropping the jar in the dishwasher. (But I can see it being handy if one doesn't have a dishwasher for some reason)
>>
Blendtec is the best option imho.

The Vitamix requires a tamper to get things to mix evenly. The blendtec has an asymmetrical jar that just mixes things up better as it sloshes around in the jar.
>>
>>7329899
Agree - I would not think to put the container in a dishwasher. Yes, it does have a clean cycle. I have to play with it. Depends on whether I used whole cream in the smoothie OR excessive gelatinous fruit. It's a joy.
Peace
>>
>>7329995
blendtec saying they don't need a tamper is bullshit as some things really do need one unless you add a bunch of liquid
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 600x600
I have a Vitamix refurbished model 1811. The first thing I made with it was almond butter using the method in the included instruction manual. I turned the unit on for about 30 seconds and it shut itself off. I thought it died. That was how I found out they have safety measures built in to make sure they don't overheat. This happened a few more times but eventually I ended up with almond butter. It's also able to make soups and cook them as they blend right in the container. Overall, I'm happy with it. I don't have anything else to compare it to, though.
>>
>>7330232
Do you actually do the soup thing? I've tried it a few times, and the results have been invariably revolting.

The ability to make sorbets is cool, though.
>>
File: Rebel-Jar.jpg (72 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Rebel-Jar.jpg
72 KB, 700x700
>>7330031
Yes, if there is enough liquid in the jar for the liquid to slosh around the Blendtec will blend it and do it evenly, if you have the 5-sided jar. Blendtec knows their jars are so superior to the Vitamix variety that they released their own jars for Vitamix bases. Vitamix can't do the same for Blendtec bases, because Vitamix jars are shit.

If there isn't enough liquid to slosh around the jar, no blender will blend it. Duh.
>>
>>7330238
I made the butternut squash soup that was in their recipe booklet; it came out fine. I normally just make my soup on the stove and transfer it to the blender for processing if it needs it.
>>
File: 1424385969715.jpg (25 KB, 283x375) Image search: [Google]
1424385969715.jpg
25 KB, 283x375
I'm kind of preferring the physical button layout on the Vitamix. I might just get a recertified Vitamix and then grab a Blendtech jar later if I think it would be better for me
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.