[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought one to try and I can't tell if I was supposed to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: HornedMelon.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
HornedMelon.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
I bought one to try and I can't tell if I was supposed to wait for it to ripen or not, but it tastes really bland.

Are they primarily for decoration, or am I missing something?
>>
You're not missing anything
They taste like nothing
>>
>>7326331
yeah, they just dont have much flavor
>>
>>7326441
>>7326477
Oh well. That's what I get for trying novel fruit. Are there any less common fruit that actually taste good?
>>
>>7326490
Apples
>>
>>7326493
t-thanks
>>
>>7326490
Dragonfruit are also mild but tasty, starfruit are nice too.
>>
File: dragonfruit.jpg (323 KB, 1000x608) Image search: [Google]
dragonfruit.jpg
323 KB, 1000x608
>>7326557
Red ones are more potent right?
>>
>>7326573
I've never seen a red one ;_;
>>
>>7326557
Dragonfruit is never tasty. I've had it from different markets in different countries and I've had it at very expensive restaurants. It taste like nothing, it just looks cool
>>
>>7326600
This. Dragon fruit has little to no taste.
>>
>Prickly pear
>Strawberry pincushion
>>
File: pomegranate.jpg (175 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
pomegranate.jpg
175 KB, 500x363
how do these taste?
>>
>>7326600
I had ones in Thailand that were a lot better than the ones I had here in the states.
>>
>>7326636
Good
>>
>>7326636
bretty gud, only problem is peeling them can be a bitch and wastes water
>>
>>7326651
Wow, it's so wasteful to fill a small mixing bowl with water.
>>
>>7326661
Maybe he lives in california
>>
>>7326644
>>7326651
they're hard to find in my city but i wanna try one so bad. :(
>>
>>7326490
theres a reason why we eat apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries etc.

They're good, unlike these memefruits
>>
>>7326651
Just score the rind in multiple places, pull it apart, then smack it with a spoon and flex the rind. If there is any left just use your fingers.
>>
>>7326643
Maybe they are a little better in Thailand, but I had them at a pretty expensive Thai restaurant in Tokyo. Tasted exactly the same as the dragon fruit I got at the market in China town in the US
>>
>>7326673
So fruits artificially selected over generations taste better than wild fruit?
>>
>>7326700
That's a good one, anon.

Most fruits are bred for size, durability, and appearance, not for flavour.
>>
>>7326712
>for flavour
fruits are bred specifically for flavor
If fruits were bred for size and durability, all fruits would taste pretty much the same
instead there are like 15 varieties of apples you can get at the average American Supermarket all while looking pretty much the same
>>
>>7326720
do you think that people have veggie/fruit gardens in their backyard because they're too poor to buy from the market?
home grown tastes best because your supermarket fruits are bred for colour and appearance. bananas are yellower, red apples are redder, etc. if the fruit looks good then people will buy it. actual flavour doesn't matter. just as long as it looks good.

thanx capitalism
>>
>>7326720

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/the-evil-reign-of-the-red-delicious/379892/
http://www.damninteresting.com/the-unfortunate-sex-life-of-the-banana/
>>
File: 2W45.jpg (44 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
2W45.jpg
44 KB, 600x450
>>7326737
this guy knows what's up. nice team work!
>>
>>7326636
Fucking amazing
>>
>>7326490
Pomello
Dragon Eyes
>>
File: 7-SAV138-juicyfruit-400x531.jpg (68 KB, 600x797) Image search: [Google]
7-SAV138-juicyfruit-400x531.jpg
68 KB, 600x797
You should try prickly pear.
When ripe they are really sweet and tasty.
>>
>>7326720
They are in other countries, American fruits are garbage overall

http://calmscience.net/2015/12/11/tale-of-tasteless-tomatoes-why-vegetables-do-not-taste-good-anymore/

The article talks about tomatoes but its really true of most vegetables and fruits you find in this country
>>
>>7326737
I hate red delicious apples. No wonder they taste bad.
>>
>>7326833
Literally every single person does. My grocery store doesn't even sell them any more
>>
>>7326636
fucking great but they can dye any shit you own red.
>>
>>7326838
ever eaten huckleberries anon? Shit is just as bad. Man, huckleberries are great, just a pain in the ass to pick.
>>
>>7326847
For some reasons I thought huckleberry was just another name for blackberries, but google proved me wrong. What is the difference between a huckleberry and a blueberry? They look similar
>>
>>7326853
Huckleberries have about 100% more flavor than a blue berry, and thats not just me blowing smoke up your ass. They are tart to start and finish sweet and stain everything dark purple. They are expensive because they are hard to harvest because they grow on steep inclines and you cannot commercially grow them in feilds. You pick em where they spring up. Im from eastern washington, so they are easy to find here. Much better than most berries, in my opinions.
>>
>>7326737
>http://www.damninteresting.com/the-unfortunate-sex-life-of-the-banana/
That would be relevant if there were only one type of banana cultivar and the fact that banana flavoring is based on an older flavor of bananas

>http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/the-evil-reign-of-the-red-delicious/379892/
This would be a lot more accurate if red delicious was still the most popular apple and also if it didn't get it's name from a better tasting apple variety

>>7326733
While it's true that some people prefer better looking food over actual flavor, that alone doesn't stop the fact that there are still tons of apples being bred for flavor

>do you think that people have veggie/fruit gardens in their backyard because they're too poor to buy from the market?
I think that for the most part, home gardens don't contain fruit trees and those that do typically only have one or maybe two different trees
people grow stuff at home because it's cheaper, not because it tastes better
>>
>>7326872
Are they good in pies? I don't like eating blueberries plain, but I love them cooked in pancakes and what not.
>>
>>7326917

im not that guy, but im from Oregon & have the same availability.

if you live your life without having huckleberry pie, it wasnt a life at all. especially my moms, its the best in the world.
>>
>>7326953
>especially my moms, its the best in the world
something something bangin ur mum.

I'll have to keep my eyes out for them, I'm sure I can find them when they are in season. Is it mostly summer to fall or what?
>>
>>7326809
Can confirm. They are so damn good if you get them at the perfect ripeness.
>>
>>7326960
>perfect ripeness
How do you tell? I've seen them at the local store, but never bothered to try them.
>>
>>7326957

kek

late summer. find an old timer in town & pick their brain, thats the easiest way to find a patch. or just walk in the mountains.
>>
>>7326885
are trying to argue simply for the sake of arguing or are you trying to convince yourself that the stuff you're eating isn't genetically inferior to what real fruit and veggies should taste like?

Or are you just another gmo apologist?
>>
>>7326872
Huckleberries are indeed great. Still prefer wild blackberries though, even with the thorns.

As for OP, if you're looking for a great tasting tropical fruit and don't mind a bit of an odd texture, look for granadillas, sometimes sold as yellow or Thai passion fruit. Basically a passion fruit but orange instead of purple and a bit more elongated. They're sweet and insanely 'tropical' tasting, if that makes sense.
>>
>>7326636
holy shit its been like a decade since i ate one of these, they taste pretty good
>>
>>7326331
flavorless meme

>>7326573
flavorless meme

>>7326636
delicious pain in the ass meme
>>
>>7326331
is that a kiwi? I would strain the pulp and mix it with confectioners sugar as a fruit sauce called a coulis.
>>
>>7327374
>filename.
Looks like a giant fucking kiwi.
>>
File: kiwi.jpg (53 KB, 600x422) Image search: [Google]
kiwi.jpg
53 KB, 600x422
>>7327378
>Looks like a giant fucking kiwi.
I'm not seeing it
>>
>>7327391
fuck not kiwi I meant passionfruit. I'm half asleep sorry.
>>
>>7326490
Lychees are much better than any of the other mentioned 'novelty' fruit here.

But keep in mind that they're novel because they're not well produced in the area where you live, so you're getting imported stuff that never reached peak ripeness.
>>
>>7326785

>Pomello

this nigga knows wassup

get em at asian markets
>>
>>7326490

I got a bag of dried figs at Costco. That shit was godlike. Killed the bag in like 5 sittings instead of the 30 servings on the bag. Just bite the stem part off and discard it unless you wanna chew on some hard piece of stem.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.