[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BATTLE OF THE BAYS: Blue Crab vs. Dungeness Crab
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: BF7HAF-1680x1050.jpg (470 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
BF7HAF-1680x1050.jpg
470 KB, 1680x1050
I moved to California from the DC area, and I just can't come to prefer Dungeness over Chesapeake Bay blue crabs. Texture and flavor-wise, they just seem to knock the Dungeness out of the ring.

>"You just drown them in Old Bay."

Yeah, and Old Bay paired with sweet blue crab meat is a divinely intended combination.

>"It takes longer to pick out the meat."

It's a fucking crustacean. You can take a little extra time.

Not to mention fried soft-shell blue crab.

I'm not gonna touch Alaskan King or Snow Crab cause that's a whole other tier. Summer just isn't the same without a brown paper tablecloth, a bushel of blue crab, and cold beer. It's iconic.

Explain if you prefer Dungeness.
>>
>eating sea bugs
>>
>>7326088
Lobster is GOAT
>>
File: 04ceacb9_CodzillaandLobsters030.jpg (879 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
04ceacb9_CodzillaandLobsters030.jpg
879 KB, 2048x1536
>>7326089

Holy fuck I miss Down East Maine. Stayed in a cabin with some family friends once. They fed us a fucking cooler of over a dozen lobster. Price? $100.

I can't imagine getting that price anywhere else.
>>
>>7326068
Needs more seasoning.
>>
>>7326098
Yeah I've heard it's pretty cheap there.

I have family who lives in Hawaii and we went out and set a trap for lobsters with a fishhead for bait. When we checked back about a weak later there were 3 or 4 in there. We took em back home and cooked them that night. Pretty much free lobster straight from the sea. It was delicious.

Fresh seafood is the best no matter what it is
>>
>>7326068
Baltimorean reporting in. Blue crabs are a shit. I'll take dungeness crab legs any day. Literally every local news story is about the price of crabs during the summer.
>>
>>7326208
Frequent Baltimore traveler reporting in, can confirm. Oysters are better, both raw and fried.
>>
oregonfag reporting in, yeah blue might be better but i can get dungeness off the pier an hour away

honestly red rock crabs are tastier but theyre so damn small its actually a pain to get all then meat out, & i dont mind either blue or dungies
>>
File: maryland soft crab sandwich.jpg (467 KB, 1536x1027) Image search: [Google]
maryland soft crab sandwich.jpg
467 KB, 1536x1027
blue
>>
Blue all the way!
>>
File: 7-SAV150-35.BlueCrab-750x750.jpg (478 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
7-SAV150-35.BlueCrab-750x750.jpg
478 KB, 2000x2000
>>7326124

OP here. I agree. I just thought it was an aesthetically pleasing photo.
>>
soft shell blues are amazing but picking steamed blue crabs is just too much work for me
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovalipes_ocellatus

better than either of those taste wise,but suck because so little meat
>>
Blue crabs are 90% shell. You get a piece about the size of a toothpick out of a leg. You need a bushel just to get a mouthful. Dungeness are superior.
>>
yknow i like crab or lobster now and then, but i just get sick of the taste after a short amount of time. I had a steak served with dungeness on top with some bernaise or hollendaise on it and it was great, because i get a few bites of crab and then get to enjoy a nice steak. i just can't eat a shit ton of that kind of seafood. crab/lobster cakes excluded, i'll eat that shit all day.

i chalk it up to being raised in the midwest.
>>
>>7326873
>i chalk it up to being raised in the midwest.
Don't
If I could eat crab/lobster every day, I would, and I'm from the midwest
>>
>>7326873

If the Mid Atlantic has blue crab feeds, y'all in the Midwest have walleye and perch fish fries.
>>
>not fucking eating as much garlic roasted Dungeness crab as you can get your hands on

OP a shit.
>>
>>7326804
>Blue crabs are 90% shell
>You need a bushel just to get a mouthful

Stop being poor and buy better crabs. I got some back in October that were so big and full I could only eat four of them before I had to stop.
>>
>>7326911
i live in montana now, but there were places we could get some pretty tasty seafood, because i lived in a sorta suburb of chicago. this place specfically. http://www.chinnsfishery.com/dinner

to get really good food in montana is tough, you have to find the right places and they're usually expensive as shit, but they exist.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.