[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: dried-beans-color.jpg (1 MB, 1080x771) Image search: [Google]
dried-beans-color.jpg
1 MB, 1080x771
I love to eat beans but they make me fart like a rotting corpse. How can I make this not happen?
>>
kill yourself
>>
>>7324936
Leave them soaking for a few hours before boiling them.
>>
>>7324963
I've done that and I still feel like i'm going to die.
>>
>>7324936
eat them regularly and your digestive bacteria will be able to handle it better, reducing flatulence
>>
>>7324970
Scoop up the foam when boiling them, it's mostly hot-break protein which causes flatulence.
>>
>>7324977
I pressure cook them usually. Should I pre-boil?
>>
File: 1424956996098.jpg (48 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1424956996098.jpg
48 KB, 500x375
I never had a problem with legumes until very recently. I made a lentil dish last week and I was just fine. I made it again this week, and my intestines exploded. I have no idea what happened. It was the exact same dish.
>>
>>7324984
I'm not sure, I always boil them in an open pot. It takes longer but I literally have no other use for pressure pots so I don't have any.
>>
>>7324993
Lentils are the worst offender for me. I love them but they're banned in my house for the deathfarts they cause.
>>
You can use canned legumes instead of cooking fresh to reduce flatulence. Canned legumes contain significantly fewer quantities of the offending fibers, which are water-soluble oligosaccharides, because they leech into the water over weeks or months, rather than just hours as would be the case when cooking them yourself.

If you insist on cooking them yourself, you should boil them first, then let them soak, then boil them again. The initial boiling kills the legumes and destroys the cell walls, which greatly enhances the migration of the fibers out of the legume into the surrounding water.

It is also true that people can adapt to their diets over time, but this is not true for everybody to the same extent. All legumes contain significant quantities of raffinose, stachyose, verbascose, other galactooligosaccharides and/or fructooligosacchides, and these are carbohydrates that are barely, if at all, absorbed by humans.

This will never change and cannot be trained. However, as these gases are produced more regularly, gas-consuming microbiota of the gut can grow in quantity, which means that they will, over time, consume these gases with greater efficiency, thereby reducing bloating and the volume of gas expelled. This is only true if you have a healthy, balanced gut flora.
>>
>>7324936

Have you seen the new Danial Radcliff movie? where he plays a rotting corpse that can't stop farting, then his body gets used as a jet ski, propelled by the power of farts?
>>
>>7324936
I heard then leave them in baking soda water help
>>
I've been a vegetarian for three years now and in order to keep a balanced diet, I eat beans regularly. No matter haw many beans I eat, the gas still kills. OP, this may be something you just have to learn to live with.
>>
I soak my pinto beans at room temp for 12 hours, and cook in the pressure cooker for 8 minutes. Farting is not a big issue. Try this.
>>
>>7324936
Epazote.
>>
>>7324936
Eat more roughage whenever you make beans. Just scarf a bunch of raw vegetable matter, it will do the trick.
>>
>>7326165
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, eventually your gut microbes adjust and the gas becomes less horrible. At least it did for me.
>>
>>7328059
It's the gut microbes breaking down the sugar that causes the gas. Our bodies cannot break down the sugar. Some beans are gassier than others, and well done beans are less gassy than under-cooked beans. And older beans are less gassy than fresh beans. Rinsing cooked beans also reduces the gas.
>>
>>7324970
>I've done that and I still feel like i'm going to die.
low fodmap diet. Read up. You have gut flora imbalance that seems to go more crazy with galactans. See if you can consume the other kind of flora. If money is no object then eat beano with your meals.

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf
>>
there are little pills you can buy that help break donw the complex carbs in beans (and other gas-inducing legumes) that cause the bloating.
the main thing you need is α-Galactosidase A
>>
>>7328068
Sounds like a science fiction story
>>
>>7328094
>Sounds like a science fiction story
http://www.med.monash.edu.au/general-practice/docs/food-choice-ajg-2012.pdf
>>
Goto your local asain supermarket and get some asafoetida (hing). It helps with flatulence, just add it to a dish like you would any other powdered spice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida
>>
File: 1451293731990.jpg (198 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1451293731990.jpg
198 KB, 1280x800
>>7324936
Frank Bowers?
>>
>>7325673
Damn high brow oscar bait movies...
>>
just eat more beans desu senpai
i've been living on beans for almost 4 years now and i dont fart more than people who don't consume large amounts of beans. your body gets used to it.
>>
>>7324963
>few hours
Most beans should soak for at least 10 hours, but leaving them soaked for 24 hours is a good idea. Just make sure you change water once or twice.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.