[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Generally speaking, would you consider country gravy a soup?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: biscuitsgravy1.jpg (262 KB, 630x419) Image search: [Google]
biscuitsgravy1.jpg
262 KB, 630x419
Generally speaking, would you consider country gravy a soup?

Where do you draw the line between a soup, a stew, and a gravy? I mean, for the most part all three are a roux with liquid added to it.

Hell, curry is basically a stew and you can eat straight or rice, scoop with naan, etc.

So, really is the true difference between gravies, soups, stews, and curries all just really semantics and tradition? Or are they irrefutably not the same thing at all?
>>
It comes down to application more than anything tbqh
>>
>>7319904
This. You could eat gravy like soup but it would be gross and unhealthy.
>>
>>7319915
Most people eat a soup with a starch, either on the side or as part of the soup. If it's on a plate or a bowl, it's still the same food.
>>
>>7319896
No one is sitting around eating country gravy with a spoon. It's not a soup.
>>
File: tumblr_mj0n9qvgC21rz3koqo1_400.gif (652 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mj0n9qvgC21rz3koqo1_400.gif
652 KB, 380x285
>>7319896
If it's that type of creamy and chunky biscuit/sausage/homestyle gravy then hell yeah I could eat it like soup. But if it's just plain stock/fat and thickener gravy I'd have to pass.
>>
>>7319960
You've never had a hangover I take it?
>>
>>7319960
Imagine it like this. There's a bowl of sausage gravy and you break up a biscuit into it and eat it up with a spoon. How's that different from eating it like a soup.
>>
i make both.. gravy is made with meat fat and thickened with flour or cornstarch

soup is made from meat and you skim the fat

they're basically opposite

terrible thread/10
>>
>>7319896

This is a dangerous question
>>
File: koolaid.jpg (84 KB, 640x488) Image search: [Google]
koolaid.jpg
84 KB, 640x488
This thread is all the proof anyone would need to show how many people are completely bored out off their minds.
>>
>>7320009
Or stoned.
>>
>>7320005
If you knew my cholesterol levels you'd know that's how I roll.
>>
...it's a sauce. a sauce is a liquid or fluid gel made to compliment something that is usually more substantial. a soup is independent of this requirement and liquid is the primary texture of the dish.
>>
>>7319960
I went on a school trip in college with a girl from Connecticuit. At the hotel breakfast buffet, this little thin girl made herself a big bowl of pure sausage gravy. She then freaked out when she realized it wasn't oatmeal. Yankees lol.
>>
>>7320477
What's her name? Maybe I know her.
>>
File: 1445239797849.png (185 KB, 345x332) Image search: [Google]
1445239797849.png
185 KB, 345x332
>beer cheese soup is a soup
>beef jus is a gravy
>>
>>7319896
>Hell, curry is basically a stew
after watching and trying to decipher many indian cooking vids most of them actually refer to the sauce of curry as a gravy, now this is possibly just a matter of translation but they almost never say curry unless it's a dish like chicken curry

for cream gravy, as a big boy, if you are eating it with a spoon you are probably beyond help it is not a soup lol
>>
This is all a matter of culture.
As an American, your soups rarely have roux, so you were incorrect there right off the bat. That's not to say that none have roux, just that roux isn't common in the majority of soups prepared and eaten by Americans.
Next, stews. Somewhat opposite to soups, American ones will often employ a roux or other added starch as a thickener. Again, not all of them, but in general.
Finally, gravies. American gravies, such as those meant for roasts, being descended of Germanic and British gravies will always have roux. Other things often called 'gravy' in the US, such as tomato sauce or pan sauce, do not use roux which is why I specified ones used for roast meats.

In other cultures, even English-speaking ones, the lines will vary, but for America, the above generally holds true.

>>7320504
I don't know about other languages of India, but for Hindi, Urdu and Marathi, the native word is rasaa which can also be translated as 'soup,' 'sauce,' 'broth' and 'stew' (the noun version). In Sinhalese, the word is hoda/hodi, which works the same was as rasaa does. Since English is more precise when it comes to naming that stuff, all of these languages have adopted the word grevvee (gravy) to differentiate a thick sauce from a thin one. That's why I said that it's a matter of culture.
>>
>>7320519
TIL
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.