[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>work as a baker for five years >flour-to-finished product,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: bread.jpg (32 KB, 481x350) Image search: [Google]
bread.jpg
32 KB, 481x350
>work as a baker for five years
>flour-to-finished product, all scratch
>have to leave due to unrelated reasons
>was looking for another job
>get hired at fred meyer, bakery department
>LITERALLY just putting prebaked bread into an oven to bake again
>bread tastes like shit
>'baker' keeps complaining about how hard his job is, even though he's less a baker and more a bread reheaterer

I'm sad.
>>
Open your own bakery if your skills are good enough. Bitches love deserts and artisan shit. If you find something gimmicky enough idiots will flock to your store and rave about how unique and bold your place is and rave about it to the other hens.
>>
>>7318609
well, what do you expect working for a grocery store bakery? go get a job at a real bakery.
>>
>>7318677
It was kind of a "need any job now", thing. I'll be looking for something else.

>>7318620
Dunno if I have the business knowhow or the startup money to do that.

The juxtaposition makes me really sad, is all. Baking is supposed to be a lot more than this.
>>
>>7318609
What the fuck did you expect?
Honestly I'm surprised you even got a job there. Pretty sure the bakery department is the first fucking department that is going to be replaced by robots. All I see is you fuckers standing around talking. Most worthless department in our store.
FUCK you frozen bread warmer uppers!
>>
>>7318609
Make wedding cakes. brides to be love faggots, so you already have that going for you OP.
>>
>>7318609
Grocery store bakeries are p. shitty, especially in the US. Freddy's means you're in the PNW, so competition for bakeries in major cities. My only suggestion would be try to find an actual bakery job, they're pretty much everywhere in Seattle.
>>
>>7318609
Question, OP, where did you get your flour and how much of it did you need every day? Ag student thinking about going into organic grain growing.
>>
>>7319003
Not OP but even working in a supermarket bakery I went through at least 600 pounds of flour a day just making fresh french bread for the evening rush. Add in rolls and doughnuts and we are getting into the half ton territory
>>
>>7319003
Dunno, it was always ordered in bulk from the supplier, I wasn't really involved with that. The bag was white and it said "H&R All-Purpose Flour" in green lettering.

>>7318940
Yeah, WA state. I'm looking for something else already, just commenting on just how fucking sad it is after coming from scratch baking. It was really a case of 'fuck, really gotta be employed right now' and they were the first bite.

>>7318868
I assume you also work for Fred Meyer? I would jump to Produce or Grocery in a fucking heartbeat if I could, bakery is fucking boring and terrible. I bet the reason everyone just stands around talking is because they hate it.
>>
>>7319055
There was this mexican supermarket with an amazing bakery. Had the Bollio (french bread rolls). Conchas, rice flour bread and cookies. American and french pastries an amazing oreo cheesecake that could be preordered and delicious cakes.

A month ago the quality dropped heavily dense bread, disgusting tasting bread that tasted like chemicals, old bread, flavorless bread. The most common complsint is the bread tastinh like lemon.I got so sick of it I called, fucking head baked was fired. I was livid I was satisfied with your guys bread and I'm sure everyone else was with the wait when your store opens. Nowdays its a ghost town in the store. They are having trouble stocking the shelves. Its almost time.
>>
>>7318711
bake out of your home and advertise on facebook, use the money you make to buy a small store
>>
Been working in bakeries for 5 yeas now. Started in a bread shop, did bagels for a bit, now in a cookies/cakes/doughnuts bakery.

The major chain supemarkets do not have bakers, they have oven operators and workers, but very few actual bakers. You'll have people who have been "bakers" for 30 years, never mixed a poolish or heard the word autolyse.

I feel you OP, I got stuck working at a Safeway for 6 months and it was awful. There are some really good people and some do work very hard, but it's not baking, it's more strictly oven management and packing and stocking shelves. Everything comes in pre-made - the most technical aspect of the job is using the proofbox. It's a heart-breaking, soul-stealing job if you have an actual desire to be an baker.

If you're low on options in your area, look for smaller grocery stores/chains. Many still have honest scratch in-house bakeries and they usually pay well.
>>
File: MillerBag-HR-All-Purpose.png (27 KB, 212x302) Image search: [Google]
MillerBag-HR-All-Purpose.png
27 KB, 212x302
>>7320226

H&R All Purpose flour stands for Hotel and Restaurant Flour

It's some of the cheapest flour you can get

>>7319003
The flour OP is talking about you can get at any restaurant supply store - should be about $15-20 for a 50 lb bag.
>>
>>7322320

Sams Club and Costco also carry this product.
>>
My first job in high school was at a grocery store bakery and it was one of the best jobs I've ever had.

$15 an hour, time and a half on Sundays and all the doughnuts and cookies I could eat. Plus there was no register so I didn't even have to check people out. They also never finished training me before making the solo closer so I mostly sat in the back and told customers I couldn't help them because I was new.
>>
>>7318620
Here's a little trick to remembering the spelling I learned in the second grade.
In the desert there's a scarcity of food and water, so it only has one S.
Dessert, on the other hand, is all about having more than you really needed. Two S's for that one.
>>
>>7323539
Silly anon, he was referring to bitchs' love of burning man.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuKstAWof4
>>
>>7324195
this is oddly fascinating. what sort of large scale bakery is this work being done for?
>>
>>7318609
I went to culinary school for baking/pastry & then went back for classic culinary
Was way better at bread than anything else
Get out of school only to find that most restaurants outsource their bread & pastries to mass producing bread factories
All bakeries pay about 8.25 an hour....
Go to work as a line cook....
>>
>>7324254
I tried selling cheesecake to some local restaurants. My cheesecake is pretty good. The owners were all interested, but we could never agree on a price. Its impossible to meet the mass produced pricing, and even with a better quality product the restaurants don't want to pay much more.
>>
Fuck you AND your "dozens", baker..
>>
>>7324229
Check youtube description.
>>
>>7322320
Yeah, that's the one.

>>7322283
Thanks. Your post is oddly inspiring; I guess it helps to know that someone's been in the same boat.

I'll keep my chin out, there has to be something out there. I love to bake (even at home) and this is killing me.
>>
>>7324557
>chin out

lol

chin up*
>>
>>7318609

>'baker' keeps complaining about how hard his job is, even though he's less a baker and more a bread reheaterer

being a bread reheaterer can be harder than being a baker if the conditions, volume of work and so on are more intensive. anything can be hard work if you've got shitty employers.
>>
>>7324565
Dude does shit all and stands around talking when he should be working. Still always manages to get everything done, and from my perspective his job is shit easy.

He's a nice guy, but he works unsupervised overnight and some people just can't handle that.
>>
>>7324557

Been where you're at, it sucks but yeah, keep looking around.

The good news is you're employed and that will make it easier to get hired somewhere else. The thing I took away from Safeway was even though I hated the product and it was shit tier - people still paid money for it, and they deserve to get the product at it's best. Any bakery to apply to will appreciate that you didn't let their shit affect your standards and attitude. Also every bakery will understand why you want to leave somewhere like Fred Meyer.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.