[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about tipping culture? Where I live, waitstaff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: 1452484523401.png (411 KB, 639x425) Image search: [Google]
1452484523401.png
411 KB, 639x425
What do you think about tipping culture?

Where I live, waitstaff get minimum wage or more, depending on the place. Why am I expected to give them extra money for doing their job like they're supposed to? This just seems a custom from a bygone era.
>>
>>7317864
This will not end well
>>
not something worth caring about
>>
>>7317864
In the first world it's stupid and in America it's normal.

Basically the circumcision thing all over again.
>>
>>7317876
Genital mutilation is fare more retarded, but yes tipping is also retarded.
>>
It's only really in america AFAIK because their minimum wage is so shit their customers to subsidudes their bosses paying them fuckall.
>>
>>7317895
Having said that though I do think tipping is good. IFI felt the person really deserved it and I wasn't super poor at the time and if the tips go directly the person you're interacting with.
>>
>>7317864
Tipping is bulshit. But eliminating tipping raises menu prices, which will make some customers balk.

What Danny Meyer is discovering in his restaurants where he has eliminated tipping is that customers are holding the establishments to higher standards because they perceive it as a more expensive place. The more expensive a place seems the more likely people are to nitpick their experience there. Restaurant owners have to deal with customers' expectations based on price. It's a psychological thing. If the bill is $100 the customer thinks of the meal as costing that, even if they tip $20. If the bill says $125 they think of the meal costing that, even if they don't have to tip.

To be successful at eliminating tipping restaurants have to up their game to accommodate this perception.
>>
>>7317864

shes ugly but cute at the same time.
>>
>>7317926
Just sleep deprived and no makeup
>>
>>7317905
That's a good point about customer expectations, but do you think that the menu prices will rise 20% or even 10%, the amount some people tip already?
If not, then the total bill at the end of the day will be lower, saving the customer money. Therefore taking the responsibility away from the customer to pay the waitstaff's salary.
>>
>>7317864
As in, "Please just the tip?"
>>
File: 1454016395002.gif (1 MB, 245x160) Image search: [Google]
1454016395002.gif
1 MB, 245x160
>>7317864
>implying america has culture
>>
>>7317876

So what you're saying is that tipping is a Jewish thing and they cucked the rest of us into it? Well that explains a lot.
>>
>>7317864
theyll need robots first cause nobody in america is going to wait tables for minimum wage
>>
I live in a state of the US that requires everyone gets paid the state minimum wage of about $10 an hour.

I don't patronize businesses that beg for tips. I have no interest in either paying money on top of incredibly overpriced food nor do I have interest in being shamed for not participating in a system that is supposed to be optional.

No skin off my back. I can reproduce anything that I would get at any restaurant. I'd rather save the 20% I'd spend on tips and the 50% or more food markup.

Think I'm poor? I'm not. I just know the value of a dollar. Being frugal has helped pay for a house and 2 vehicles. One day I hope to retire early.
>>
The min wage for servers in usa at least is allowed to be lower than the federal/state one, due to tips being seen as part of your paycheque. I think tipping for good service is fine but feeling obligated to bc some business wants to pay someone 2$ an hr

Pay servers regular wages and tip for excellent service makes sense to me desu
>>
>>7321364

You're wrong.
>>
tipping is stupid but if you live in an area with tipping culture and you dont do it you are, in fact, an asshole
>>
>>7321372
He's not. An employer can pay less than minimum wage, because the waiter/waitress can make it up in tips.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 485x769) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 485x769
>>7317864
>another tipping thread
This board is so great :)
>>
>>7321364
People shouldn't tip unless it's for a server or the employees going the extra mile for you. People in California all seem to glare at you and practically point to the tip jar and if you don't tip they get all pissy about it and fuck up your order or just don't care. Tipping is now considered obligatory for stuck up millenial pieces of shit that just want more to do the bare minimum. Its not enough that they are paid min. Wage they just want more for even getting out of bed to go to work.
>>
>>7317864
I'll tip if I like the food or the server was being overwhelmed. If I go to a resturant and then it suddenly gets packed, i'll probably tip. That being said, one time I didnt tip because we spent two hours waiting for someone to bring our food when the place wasn't even halfway packed. Got sick of waiting, got up to leave. Came back a few days later and the same waitress seated us with a stiff angry face, and when I asked if there was a problem, she had the gall to say "you never paid for your meal", which caught the managers attention, and when I said "We waited two hours and got nothing", her face went whiter than snow. After she was fired, another waitress came ot take her place and said that she'd been doing that a lot lately.

>>7321364
>The min wage for servers in usa at least is allowed to be lower than the federal/state one, due to tips being seen as part of your paycheque
Except for the part where thats not the law at all because employers are required to pay their employees minimum wage, which is why most waitstaff dont report tips, they get more money that way.
>>
>>7317864
Eh it's there.

Meh service or buffet 10%
Normal 15%
Good service like they were on top of things like refilling before you ask or comping an appetizer 18%
>>
>>7321713

He's not right though. And neither are you.

It is not legal to pay an employee a wage lower than the federal minimum wage.

Sure, the owner can deduct tips from what they pay towards that minimum wage, but they can't pay under.

If anything, this is all more reason not to tip, since the money goes directly in the pocket of the owners and not the actual people you are tipping.
>>
I think tipping should be there but handled differently. Think about it, if you go to a restaurant you're saving yourself the hassle of cooking, preparing the ingredients, preparing the plates, cleaning up, washing dishes and there's also the service that servers provide like refilling water or booze. What I don't like is that unfortunately all the money goes to the servers and the cooks or dishwashers are left out.

I think restaurants should print out on their receipts how the divide the tips, I would then be inclined to tip more actually. As it stands I don't like tipping more than 10-12%.
>>
>>7321890

Not only that, but it's ridiculous to tip based on percentage.

If I want to eat a super swanky and expensive meal that costs me $200 you'd be expected to tip $40, but if you get a cheap appetizer, drink, and a hamburger for $15, you're expected to tip $3 for what is essentially the exact same service.

If anyone could explain why that makes any sense at all I'll eat my goddamn hat.
>>
>>7321910
Generally the more expensive the meal, the less tables a waiter serves. For the top end restaurants you wind up with a team of 4-6 servers working 3 tables.

Additionally meals at nicer restaurants generally last longer, so there is less turn over for additional tips.
>>
>>7321739
Most servers will claim just enough to not get additional pay from the restaurant. The restaurant does not want to pay extra. The restaurant will fire servers that do not make enough tips.
>>
>>7321964

what a crock of shit
>>
>>7321982
You have the head server, the bread server, the water server, the front server, the back server, and the wine server

A 10 course meal can take 3 hours to complete.
>>
I just hate guilt that I always fall for when it comes to tipping. I don't really see why I should tip someone who just wrote down what I wanted, brought it to me, and then gave me the check. I didn't ask for anything extra, I didn't need them to do anything, we didn't discuss anything about the meal, I just don't see how that warrants me paying them an amount that is supposed to represent how I felt about the service and what they were owed. So I don't want to tip but I end up tipping every single time.

I recently had a flamboyantly gay waiter give me major attitude about me asking to swap the dressing on my food, he was rude as fuck about this simple, stupid thing I was asking him to do, part of his fucking job, and I still ended up tipping him. What the fuck. I would have eat at a nice restaurant where I just go up and get my own food than tip.
>>
Honestly, I have no problem tipping. I generally tip 15-20%. If I'm already paying $100 or whatever, what's an extra $20?
>>
>>7322052
So basically you want to eat at a buffet? Or just eat at home?
>>
>>7322073
You fucking know what I mean.
>>
>>7322083
>I would have eat at a nice restaurant where I just go up and get my own food than tip.

No, I apparently don't. What you said isn't even grammatically correct. You'd rather get up and get your own food than tip a server. So a buffet, or make your own food.
>>
>>7322092
Stop being obtuse. He means placing his order and picking up his plate of food he ordered when it's finished being made fresh. Not heading up to see what they have for pickings.
>>
>>7322092
Yeah no shit you don't get it. Any restaurant I'd go to I would have no problem getting the food myself. A server is completely meaningless to me. It would be nice to order a dinner off a menu, sit at my table, and then get it when it's ready. I don't need someone to bring it to me.

I don't need a buffet for that one nice meal that i want, and if I wanted to make dinner at home I wouldn't be fucking complaining about restaurants, sometimes I like a meal made for me, and I'll pay for it in return. I'm just saying it would be nice to have that option.
>>
>>7322116
So he wants to eat at places with counter service, like you might find at an amusement park, or fast food place. He didn't say that. Sorry I didn't understand his poorly worded sentence.

>>7322123
Again, sorry I didn't understand what you meant. You and the other anon are very defenseless over a misunderstanding. That's why I asked, and didn't go straight you calling you a faggot.
>>
>>7322123
we had a restaurant like that. after 3 months they went to regular waitering. The people just didn't understand their vision of fine food without servers.
>>
File: 1441561139193.png (35 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1441561139193.png
35 KB, 700x700
>>7322145
Wouldn't have been defensive if you weren't a condescending dick about it.

Also you mean defensive. What you said isn't even grammatically correct.

>>7322147
That's too bad.

Of course I get that for some people that's just part of having a nice dinner but I've never had a meal that was made better by a server saving me from just getting up, picking up a place, and returning to my table.
>>
>>7318607
Not him but I don't think menu prices would have to increase that much to cover minimum wage. A lot of waitstaff have told me they earn, on average, a bit above minimum.
>>
>>7322181
Oops. It's not that it isn't grammatically correct, I just used the wrong word by accident. You knew what I meant though.
>>
>>7318607
In Meyer's restaurants the prices have gone up 20-25% with the idea that the increased prices not only cover paying the waitstaff more or less what they were earning with tipping, but also letting the kitchen staff in on a taste of it as well.

That increase doesn't bother wealthy tourists or his (also wealthy) regulars, but to price sensitive customers it makes his restaurants seem more expensive than other places of similar food quality, decor and service.

http://ny.eater.com/2015/10/14/9517747/danny-meyer-no-tipping-restaurants
>>
>>7321356
>minimum wage of $10
The average is $7.25 besides for which there are still states without a mandated minimum wage

>server's wages
Ignorance isn't justification. I get not wanting to tip, but don't justify it because they are paid a wage already. In the most states, tipping isn't a bonus, it's your basic income
>>
>>7317864
I would literally pay twice as much to eat at a restaurant where you ordered by computer and had robots deliver your food instead of waiters.

I've only had two or maybe three meals in a restaurant where the waiter actually improved the experience, and those meals were all in Europe.

Waiters fucking suck.
>>
I'm all for tipping decent service and usually tip 20% or better. But I'm getting tired of every goddamn place now has a tip line on their receipt. It seems to be a trend with every coffee shop/fast food/buffet. It's only a matter of time until retail and grocery stores have them as well.
>>
File: Celexa-lawsuit.jpg (17 KB, 291x278) Image search: [Google]
Celexa-lawsuit.jpg
17 KB, 291x278
>>7323181
Ask your doctor about Celexa
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.