[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WOOD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: wood.png (9 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
wood.png
9 KB, 819x460
Sorry for my stupidity
I am new to cooking and am looking at decade old wooden material to work with.
Wooden cutting boards, spatulas, giant spoons, etc.
Is it ok to keep these for a decade?
Is there a specific way to take care of wooden materials?
What are pros and cons of wood vs plastic cutting boards?
Halp
>>
>>7316059
I use lost of wood myself. I generally keep wood used for cooked food separate from wood used for raw. Also keep a separate cutting board for things that touch garlic and onions and things that don't.

I don't know the pros and cons because I've never used anything else.
>>
probably just keep your wooden utensils and stuff oiled with cooking oil.
>>
>>7316059
To clarify, my family has been using these wooden materials for about a decade and they are now mine to use.
>>
>>7316086
The only fucked up wooden kitchen stuff I've seen was old shit that hadn't been used in decades while being stored in a basement, so whatever oils on it had become rancid, then mold set in. Less than that and you ought to be fine.
>>
>>7316080
So how do you clean you wooden cutting board?
Just soap, detergent, and warm water?
Air dry is safe?
The drying part especially worries me because I am paranoid of mold and germs, and wet wood seems like a breeding ground for those to me.
Also why a separate board for garlic and onions?

>>7316082
What's the purpose of this?
How often should I oil it?
>>
>>7316102
ok thanks
also another stupid question, but how do you clean crumbs of your counter?
I just sweep them on the floor with my hand, but I'm thinking there must be a better way
>>
Coming from the old country, we use wooden cooking materials and tools exclusively. After we run them through the dishwasher, we coat them in vegetable oil for seasoning then microwave on high for no less than 8 minutes.
>>
>>7316106

The wood can absorb the garlic and onion flavor and end up transferring it to foods you don't want it to. Thats the reason for the separate board.
>>
>>7316227
interesting
do you know why this only happens with onion and garlic?
>>
>>7316106
Nothing to do with germs. Cross contamination isn't an issue if you're either scrupulous about washing (silly, as it wears out the wood) or just keep separate boards for raw and cooked food. But the garlic and onions thing is for real. You want a dedicated board for fruit and cheese.
>>7316112
Use one hand to swipe them into the other, then into the garbage? That's how I'd do it in an odeal world. My wife bakes bread, so crumbs and flour are everywhere all the time. So we have to clean the kitchen properly more often than average home cooks.

KInd of a quality problem.
>>
>>7316239

someone else here, i'd imagine the wood would absorb the delicious oils from the garlic. wood loves to absorb shit as it's porous. the reason your hand may smell like garlic for a few days after handling is also because of your skin absorbing the oils from garlic after a fine mince.

i also know that wooden mortar & pestles can defiantly take on the flavor of some spices after being ground up, and can potentially impart undesired flavors when you grind multiple spices
>>
>>7316281
lol wtf
ok can you tell me how many boards im going to need dedicated for what?
One for just raw meat
Number two for onion and garlic
And then 3 for everything else?
At this rate I'm thinking I should just stick to plastic boards lol, a lot simpler if they just dont absorb foods
>>
>>7316287
thanks buddy
>>
>>7316106
oil should keep it nice and shiny. when its not nice and shiny re-oil it.
>>
>>7316308
I don't care much how it looks, just as long as it's cleam desu
>>
>>7316308
>>7316323
clean t.b.h.*
>>
>>7316300
>I should just stick to plastic boards lol, a lot simpler if they just dont absorb foods
Enjoy your plastic. Be sure to wash that board very carefully.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.