[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /truffleoil/ here? I know opinions can be pretty polarizing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: unnamed.jpg (16 KB, 337x506) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
16 KB, 337x506
who /truffleoil/ here?

I know opinions can be pretty polarizing on this stuff, but I honestly can't get enough of it. it's fucking amazing on pizza, or really anything with cheese for that matter
>>
meme oil
>>
>>7313991
Seconded. Always check the ingredients, most truffle oil is artificially flavored
>>
>>7313992
doesn't really matter to me. all truffle-based stuff i've tried has tasted delicious, so i'm chalking up the difference between synthetic and authentic truffles to be placebo
>>
people are super snobby about it but yeah it's ok. obviously there's a stigma against synthetic aromas but also i think there's a general 'if you can't afford the real thing you don't get to taste it' sentiment which is totally bullshit.

i'll use it in a couple salad dressings or in soup sometimes. don't generally have it on hand though.
>>
>>7314023
yeah. i'm sure i've had plenty of stuff with the artificial oil in it, but i don't know because i literally can't tell the difference, if there is one. my overall experience with truffle oil of any kind has been positive anyway
>>
>>7313991
This, tbhfam.
I've had it a couple of times and the truffle taste just isn't anything special. I prefer to spend money on a high quality olive oil instead of meme oil.
>>
>>7314011
it isn't placebo. Think of it like umami. Bacon has 6 different compounds that stimulate umami receptors but MSG only does it one way. Real truffle oil tastes better but if you don't want to deal with the expense the synthetic stuff is just fine
>>
>>7314060

that's a nice comparison you've yet to prove truffle is the same as bacon in that regard
>>
truffle is like foie gras in that, there is literally nothing special about it
its status as a luxury ingredient is based solely on how traditionally available it was to the masses, not how it tastes
I would be perfectly content to never eat either of them again, that's how low tier they are

once again classic french cuisine is on the wrong side of history
>>
>>7314080
come to think of it, truffle oil on bacon sounds goddamn delicious
>>
>>7314080
the idea is truffles themselves have a lot more flavor compounds than synthetic truffle oil, which has just one + whatever the oil it is suspended in has
>>
>>7314093

again it's a perfectly reasonable idea but there's a difference between the complex amino acid profile of cured pork and 'truffliness', or at least there might be. just think it's a bit dangerous to make that comparison in abstract
>>
>>7314108
>dangerous
nobody is going to lose a limb because someone compared two inferior products to two superior ones
>>
>>7314124

misguided then
>>
i put it on popcorn
divine
>>
>>7314251
hell yea anon
>>
>>7313990
From what I can tell the only people that actually dislike it are snoody chefs and people who just parrot the opinions of said chefs.

The only reason the chefs don't like it is because its basically a cheat code for food that makes pretty much everything delicious no matter how badly done the food was prepared and I guess they got pissy because "inferior" chefs were making food that was good.

The only way to fuck up with it is to simply add too much
>>
>>7314277
yeah i can definitely see how it could be used as a perceived "crutch" by chefs, but at the end of the day, it's really just a condiment.

also yeah, too much truffle oil is ugh. i'm surprised how little you have to use to make an impact in your food though.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.