[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eggs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: egg.jpg (975 KB, 2121x1416) Image search: [Google]
egg.jpg
975 KB, 2121x1416
My family got chickens a few months back, and now they started bringing me eggs. Are these eggs safe to use in recipes that require raw eggs? Are there any precautions I should take?
The shit that storebought eggs go through is supposed to make them safer right? Sorry if I sound like a retard, I was very sheltered growing up.
>>
>>7310840
The shit corporate eggs have to go through to be cleaned is because of the massive amounts of animal abuse and downright terrifying living conditions the chickens are in.
I'm guessing your family aren't psychopaths that are abusing their animals, so they should be fine with a quick rinse with lukewarm water.
>>
don't think it matters. I believe america takes more precautions with eggs than europe, and europeans don't get sick from eggs. raw eggs are still raw eggs, and you should always be cautious about that. An extra thing to pay attention to is to make sure the eggs are not fertillized. It would not be fun to open an eggs and find a partially developed embryo inside.
>>
>>7310851
Oh okay thanks

>>7310861
Well they only have one rooster, but they get the eggs every morning.
>>
File: 1432677631319.gif (930 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1432677631319.gif
930 KB, 512x512
>>7310851
>implying OP's family aren't fucking their chickens
>>
Fresh raw eggs contain enzymes that inhibit microbial growth. These enzymes become inactive after some time (1-2 weeks after laying or so, would have to check). At this point, bacterial spores present at laying, such as Salmonella spp. and others will start growing if stored at room temperature. Industrial American eggs have their shells cleaned in such a way that the natural barrier of the shell becomes penetrable for microbes. That's why Americans have to store their eggs in the fridge, where microbial growth is very slow. In return, intact eggs and shells of American eggs are safe to handle without danger of cross contamination, whereas European eggs can be contaminated with Salmonella on the shell surface. Another thing that will make the shell penetrable to microbes is putting hot eggs in their shell into cold water. This makes the shell porous and microbes from the water and air will migrate into the egg, such that it becomes unsafe to eat after 3 days (assuming a child, elderly or immune-compromised individual as all food safety guidelines do)
>>
>>7310851
>have to go through to be cleaned is because
it's mandated by the FDA that grade A eggs be washed and inspected

It's a good idea to wash your fresh eggs before cooking them because there's chicken shit on them.

>>7310910
Wash them before you use them if don't wash them immediately. When you wash the natural coating off they need to stay very clean because egg shells are porous. Collect eggs daily and put them in the fridge and you won't have any problems with fertilized eggs. If you are really concerned crack them into a small bowl and inspect before adding to your recipe.

>>7310958
>>7310958
>present at laying, such as Salmonella
Eggs are also covered in a protective mucus to prevent microbial intrusion. Americans have to store their eggs in the fridge because they have been washed. If you clean a fresh egg and then coat it in USP mineral oil it doesn't need to be refrigerated and can be stored for like 8 months.
>>
someone told me they left there eggs on the counter but it's ok because they don't need refrigeration if you don't wash them, I was thinking "so you have sh*t covered eggs on your kitchen counter?" Gross.
>>
There are two ways you can get infected, from the trace salmonella that's practically ambient background noise in all shit, and from the egg if the chicken that laid it has an infection.

So, wash your hands after you touch them like you would anyway, rinse shells before you crack them, and watch for ill chickens (or make sure you trust your family to notice if one of them is falling around the place and shitting itself).

You can vaccinate against salmonella too, which is what farms do around here.
>>
hens raised in humane conditions won't shit on their nests so you don't have to even worry about that..

just give them a quick wash in warm soapy water they'll be fine

you can eat chicken raw if it's raised properly
>>
>>7311984
>hens raised in humane conditions
My brother has free range chickens that still end up with shit on their eggs occasionally.
>>
>>7313524
>>7311984
>Shit on eggs
Eggs and shit come out of the same opening dipshits. Has nobody here diddled a chickenhole?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.