[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you guys lactose intolerant? I just found out last week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Any of you guys lactose intolerant?

I just found out last week and am pretty upset about it considering how much I love cheese.

How do you guys deal with yours?
>>
I power through it.

It's fucking worth it.
>>
My girlfriend is. She just buys lactase pills from the drugstore, you take them before you eat dairy and it digests the lactose for you without discomfort. Kind of pricey but worth it since it keeps her from getting sick every time we eat pizza or something.
>>
>>7309849

Yeah, I know there will be nights were I just say fuck it.

>>7309853

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check them out.
>>
>>7309853
Mine too. I cook with a lot of dairy and there haven't been any problems.
>>
>>7309853
Same, although she only feels sick from larger quantities, so she can still eat cheese and creamy sauces without taking a pill.
I think it's a combination of intolerances/allergies because she can have a large bowl of cereal with milk without feeling too bad if it's fresh and organic. Meanwhile, a tiny portion of UHT pasteurized milk ruins her stomach, but lactase pills or lactose-free milk remove any symptoms.
>>
Gene therapy

But really I'll take my inability to break down cilantro over not being able to synthesize lactase any day.
When I worked at a pizza place I regularly saw lactase pill wrappers.
>>
>>7309843
most cheese has very little lactose, and a lot of it has lactase in it anyway.
Worst case scenario, just start eating more (lactase containing) yogurt.
>>
1. Most cheese contains very little lactose. Some cheese contains no significant quantities at all (e.g. aged cheese), the same levels found in "lactose free" products with added lactase.

2. Almost everybody who claims "lactose intolerance" can consume around 6g (+/-2) of lactose in a single serving without symptoms. The threshold for diagnosis is often unrealistically high at 50g (equivalent to a whole liter of milk).

3. Almost all lactose intolerant people can consume cheese ad libitum. It's not possible to consume enough cheese to trigger symptoms because of the high caloric density and fat content in relation to the low lactose content.

4. If you can't consume 6g of lactose without symptoms, your problem isn't lactase deficiency, it's fementable fiber intolerance. Undigested lactose is simply fiber (as per definition) that gets rapidly fermented in the colon (like fructans and galactans). This is indicative of irritable bowel syndrome with visceral hypersensitivity rather than "lactose intolerance".
>>
>>7309843
Most cheese doesn't actually have that much lactose in and some, such as mature cheddar generally doesn't have any.
>Protip: Check the sugar content of products, if there's no sugar in it, there's no lactose
>>
Let me be the first to tell you - most cheese has very little lactose.
>>
It's not that bad. Just bad for my skin and only large quantities (milkshakes) give me any discomfort
>>
An actual informative, well thought out post. Thank you anon.
>>
My friend is badly intolerant and he eats cheese like there's no tomorrow and he's fine.
Like other anons said, you'll be fine too, OP.
>>
If you want to indulge in a really high lactose foods like milk, sour cream, or shredded moz, the vegan alternatives (if they have a good brand) are actually better than the "lactose free" specialty items. How they managed to make lactose-free shredded cheese taste worst than some brands of vegan cheese-substitute is completely beyond me.
>>
>>7309853

My GF is lactose intolerant. A combination of lactose free alternatives where it is possible, such as milk or cream, and kerutabs or lactrase when lactose free is not an option. It has been no problem at all.
>>
File: 20160126_224213.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160126_224213.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>7309843
>how much I love cheese
I have good news for you anon. Picture related. It's available at Wal-Mart and food lion.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.