[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does beer ever taste good? I have been trying to drink beer for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: EuropeanImportBeers.600.jpg (88 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
EuropeanImportBeers.600.jpg
88 KB, 600x395
Does beer ever taste good? I have been trying to drink beer for a few years but it still makes me cringe. Is it just one gigantic meme? Also what is your thoughts on the fast foods of Roy Rodgers?
>>
It's great with certain "comfort" foods. It's just a unique taste you either like or you don't.
>>
>>7309455
Some beer is delicious, some beer is bad. If you're just drinking cheap beer with very little flavor then that could be the cause.

Roy Rodgers is always in rest stops so in my experience it has insane prices for mediocre food. I am not a fan.
>>
>>7309455
I like Shocktop, Heineken, and Amber Bock.

Beer is an acquired taste. Keep drinking it if you want to enjoy it. Or drink cocktails. Who gives a fuck
>>
>>7309455

Pretty much every beer tastes good, nothing better than relaxing with a cold beer on a hot day after work.
>>
Try a couple different popular styles and see if anything strikes you as particularly interesting.

Find a liquor store that has a "build your own 6pack" for beer, and grab some beer from the following styles:

1) *IPA* - (hoppy bitterness, very popular in the US)
2) *Double/Imperial IPA* - (twice the alcohol content (roughly) and twice the malt content. More balanced so they tend to be less bitter from the hops and thus can have a very complex and interesting flavor profile)
3) *Brown ale* - (one of the lightest dark beers, tends to have little to no hoppy bitterness, usually crisp and refreshing with some varying malt notes, usually nutty with slight roastedness, sometimes toffee, etc)
4) *Porter* - Bit darker than brown ales, bitterness from dark malts just begins to creep in at the porter level. Possible tastes: coffee, vanilla, roasted malts
5) *Stout* - darker than porters with roasted malt flavors, chocolate, coffee, molasses, brown sugar)
6) *Hefeweizen* - German wheat beer. Very crisp and refreshing, great summer beer. Little to no hop bitterness, but the hops do give off delightful tastes of floral, citrus, grassy, yeasty notes

Bonus: *Imperial stout* - Specifically I would recommend trying Oscar Blues Ten Fiddy or Sierra Nevada's Narwhal Imperial Stout if you can find either of them. Darker than regular stouts with more roasted malt bitterness and higher alcohol content. Dark chocolate flavors as opposed to regular chocolate. More dense in mouthfeel.

Beer is not a meme, it's an acquired taste that you have to consciously focus on developing. The basics aren't hard at all (and despite sounding like an expert I really just know the basics).
>>
>>7309455
Beer is basically liquid bread, and bread can taste good, so I don't see why beer can't
>>
>>7309455
>people like this thing I don't, they must be pretending!
literal autism
>>
>>7309615
>consciously focus on developing
Not really, unless you've lived your whole life drinking pop.
>>
>>7309615
>implying an IPAs and double IPAs aren't practically the same thing

>implying stouts and porters aren't practically the same thing

don't listen to this garbage OP
>>
>>7309652
Don't think drinking inordinate amounts of soda would make any difference.

You have to know what you're tasting for and be able to differentiate beers to appreciate the subtle differences. IBUs, yeast, malts, hops, etc.

Otherwise you'll just be sitting at the bar and say something stupid like "Yeah it's pretty good. It tastes dark but it's a little too hoppy for me."
>>
>>7309669
I spent the last year working at a brewpub that specializes in beer, where each location has anywhere from 60-100 beers on tap that we're allowed to sample whenever we want. I think I've tasted enough IPAs, double IPAs, stouts, and porters to be able to know that they're different.

I don't like super hoppy beers and that's what you tend to get with regular IPAs, yet double IPAs are one of my favorite styles because the larger malt content balances out the hoppiness.

Stouts and porters are much more similar than an IPA is to a double IPA, though to me porters vary much more significantly than stouts, and porters often have particular added flavors that you wouldn't find in a stout.
>>
>>7309669
Except they aren't

Double IPAs in the name alone imply it's much larger in almost everything, their taste profile is generally larger, they pack more flavor in general, usually more alcoholic and sometimes fuller bodied

Stouts and porters have some varying degrees of similarity but there are countless stouts that go far beyond the average porter
>>
>>7309696
we dun found the meme king, boys

I'll take a bud light, bartender
>>
>>7309455
dude for me and for most people beer tastes like shit but after a while or if you grow older it starts to taste pretty fucking good but if you've been trying to drink it for a few years just give up.
>>
>>7309716
Sure thing brah, happens to be the only domestic beer we have on tap. Lucky you.
>>
>>7309728
so does it taste good like the way youre like that drink is delicious
>>
>>7309455
dude. no one likes the taste of beer. we drink it to forget, and nothing makes you forget your troubles like something that tastes horrible.
>>
>>7309455
Just stick to chocolate milk and pop tarts you fucking manchild
>>
>>7309827
It's never going to be like a slice of pizza or a scoop of ice cream. It's not that kind of 'delicious'.

It's more like a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. If you have acquired the taste for beer, you yearn for it. You want that sour, hoppy bite to feel refreshed on a hot summer day. You want that roasty, malty flavour to complement a rich stew. The right beer for the right occasion makes a huge difference. It doesn't hurt that a little bit of alcohol makes you feel at ease.

Most people only ever drink cheap lager, leaving them with the notion that beer is just bitter-sour, sparkling water that will get them drunk.
It's perfectly fine not to like beer at any point in your life, but beyond the 'bros' who just drink it because they think it's manly, many people legitimately enjoy it.
>>
Do you guys really think beer is an acquired taste? I loved it as soon as that first drop hit my tongue.
>>
ipas are good, but you have to pour them out or they're too bitter

ales are good

I drink le local brews and tip my fedora to m'lady

I love wheat beers

best nigger beer is Icehouse

Best half nigger beer is Fortune

If you're a pussy try Not Your Father's Root Beer. It's $2 a bottle and 177Cal which is actually less than most heavier beers.
>>
>>7310061
It was to me. I spent many teenage years drinking cheap lager to get drunk, never liking the taste. I just disliked all the sugar from mixing rum and coke or screwdrivers even more, and beer was supposed to be what guys drank.
It all changed when I tried a Belgian ale for the first time.
>>
>>7310075
It all depends on the beer and the person. I can swish any hard alcohol in my mouth no problem but my room mate almost throws up.

I drank in high school by stealing my parents hard liquor taking a shot of everything (long island iced tea on accident), and drinking that. I never disliked or liked beer until I found a few I liked. I drink a 8.1% ipa called hop shock a lot now.

If you can't do bitter like him, his favorite beer is Laguna Sucks.
>>
Anons I have a problem.
I like beer, I really do. I used to love opening a cold bottle of beer and taking a sip on a hot summer day.
Suddenly pproblems.
1. Drinking beer gives me raging headaches.
2. Worse, it can trigger a migraine.

I avoid all alcohol now due to the fear of triggering a migraine. I literally don't want to get triggered.
Beer and red wine seem to be the wworst offenders. White wine I can sometimes get away with.
What is the problem?
What beer can I get that won't fuck my head up?
FWIW, I avoid aged cheese, too much chocolate, bright lights, glare, and breathing cold air while warm.
>>
>>7310061

This, I even love the shitty lite beers after a long day.
>>
Roy Rodgers is dogshit
>>
>>7309455
Its a meme, bro. Don't play into it
>>
>>7310061
Yeah, I don't think it's an acquired taste, either. It took me a long time to find out I like beer, but it's because it took me a long time to try something that wasn't an American Adjunct Lager. Then the first thing I had that wasn't was an IPA, which is also definitely not my scene.

First time I had a bock, though, it opened my eyes that I was missing something. I had to figure out what it is I like in beer (see: dominance of malts), but when I had that, I liked it immediately.
>>
I always look forward to a nice beer after work. It's the little things.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.