[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ challenge - Round 4 (March 30th - April 5th)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: logo1b.png (398 KB, 1000x718) Image search: [Google]
logo1b.png
398 KB, 1000x718
4th round of the 5th Annual /ck/ Top Master Iron Chef Ultimate Nightmare Kitchen Survivor Challenge!

This is the first of the elimation rounds! If you are not part of teh top 15, feel free to post along, however I will not be tallying the scores. But the more entries the better!
Here's the list of those who made the top 15!
Nack
Fantastic
dice
knife
CookingRei
Yellowmug
Studentfag
Lady Pistol
RacerX
LOLZ shield
asdf
Longship
Borneo
bear
Eyepatch
Reminder :
-Please timestamp your submission! Detailing the cooking process/posting a vertical is encouraged but not required. If posting multiple photos, you don't need to timestamp each one, as long as the final submission photo is timestamped.
-You MUST use a unique identifier; if you don't want to use a tripcode, you must have some other way to distinguish yourself from the other contestants, such as a cute bird or scary statue in your timestamped entry, as long as it's clearly visible and you use it consistently.

Voting will be carried out in this thread. Please read the voting guidelines below.
>>
>>7522739
VOTING GUIDELINES

Voting follows an 'Iron Chef' style scoring system. This means you, the people of /ck/, will judge each entry individually instead of deciding on what you feel is the "best" dish.

Dishes are scored out of a total 20 points, based on 4 categories (worth a maximum of 5 points each); Presentation, Originality, Appeal and Challenge Goals. You may award 0's if you feel the contestant did not meet your expectations for a category.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in Appeal.

For additional info and to see submissions from Previous years, check out the Challenge blog. (http://ckchallenge.blogspot.ca/)

Copypasta Scoring Format for Lazymodo

Presentation: /5
Originality: /5
Appeal: /5
Challenge Goals: /5
Total: /20
>>
The theme of Round Four is...

Cookies!

Let's start the cruel process of elimination with a sweet bite... There are no restrictions or requirements, as long as it seems like a pleasant thing. While you're perfectly welcome to make a large spread of food, please make sure there is clearly a "main dish" because that is what people will be voting on.

Two contestants will not be moving on to the next round.
>>
Will Lyin' Tom be allowed to compete in this thread?
>>
File: rd3.jpg (83 KB, 400x629) Image search: [Google]
rd3.jpg
83 KB, 400x629
And yes, the scores, before everyone jumps down my throat to get them.
>>
>>7522751
Lyin' Tom with a 10. Not sure how legit this is.
>>
fossil here.. why am i zero for round 3?
>>
>>7522746
The sheer asshollery the trolls have reached actually had him reaching out to me by email. I hope it makes /someone's/ day that they made an other human being feel that shitty. here's my big congratulations to you and>>7522756
the other trolls who have now been keeping this shit up for 3 threads.

>>7522756
Which was your dish? I might have gotten the columns mixed.
>>
>>7522759
bbq chicken and ribs
>>
>>7522759
Bubbles if you'd have just answered a simple question in the last thread I wouldn't have needed to ask here. You chose this. Freedom of speech.
>>
>>7522763
It's not that he is not -allowed- to participate. it's that a bunch of assholes pushed him away. There's a very large distinction between the two, hence me ignoring the whole thing in the other thread.

>>7522761
fuck, give me a sec...
>>
>>7522766
So you're saying he won't be competing anymore?
>>
File: rd3b.jpg (72 KB, 460x366) Image search: [Google]
rd3b.jpg
72 KB, 460x366
Corrected scores.

Fossil, you're in, I'll be working off a top 16 this year :-)

Sorry about that.
>>
>>7522774
Bubble, what's the situation with Lyin' Tom? Has he officially forfeited the competition? Or did he not make the cut?
>>
>>7522780
He quit. Hope it makes your day.
>>
>>7522774
das ok
i know my shit's lame but i didn't think it was THAT bad
>>
>>7522785
Bubble, it doesn't please me at all that Lyin' Tom quit. As far as i'm concerned he'll always have a place here.

How did you personally feel about the lie he told?
>>
>>7522814
>>7522792
I don't give a flying rat's ass? I mean the flame war/shit storm is getting on my last nerve, but other then that?

It sounded like a cute story. Reminded me if my grand-ma (she's been dead 10 years, bless her soul) who used to sneak me the tasty crispy bits of the pork roast when we had dinner at her place.
>>
>>7522834
I think that's why it upset so many people. It sounded like a nice story, yet when it was confirmed to not be true I think it stung for a lot of people who had their own fond memories of their grandma that Tom would exploit those to score points in a competition. I mean it is what it is, just a shame all around.
>>
>>7522814
>>7522792
>>7522768
>>7522763
>>7522755
>>7522746

>17 posts
>3 posters

Jesus fucking Christ, you are single handedly ruining one of the few things that makes /ck/ great, and one of the only things we look forward to every year. I know that's what you wanted, and you might just get it.
Congratulations.
>>
>>7522841
Let's not turn this into a personal attack, many people are at fault here and it isn't up to us to decide who those are. Thanks.
>>
>>7522841
I shouldn't have acknowledged them, I know.
>>
>>7522850
Funny how the poster count didn't go up.

>many people are at fault here
Wrong. It's you and only you. This will be my last post because I know I'm just feeding a troll. But I just want you to know that there are real people contributing these dishes, with real lives and real feelings.
I hope you're happy.
>>
>>7522858
I feel like we have a difference of opinion here. Me and Bubble feel like you're attempting to single out someone for your hate, and it's unnecessary at best, downright harsh at worst. Thanks.
>>
Can everyone serious about keeping this going just filter any threads with "Lyin' Tom", or whatever variations, and otherwise just stop responding already?
>>
>>7522867
Thomas the Liar Engine goes by many names, my friend.
>>
I propose ignoring the obvious samefag.

Anyways, does /ck/ consider lemon bars and the like to be cookies?
>>
>>7522876
No, I wouldn't say so
>>
>>7522876
Personally I don't. The base of shortbread but the lemon curd is not cookie domain.
>>
>>7522876
You could however, make some sort of lemon cookie? I think that would be very nice
>>
>>7522895
Not a bad idea. I'll think of something :^)
>>
>>7522898
>says ignore the samefag
>responds directly to the samefag

Oh you got SCHOOLED, friend.
>>
File: Aprons ck challenge 2016.jpg (81 KB, 823x508) Image search: [Google]
Aprons ck challenge 2016.jpg
81 KB, 823x508
Congrats Top 15

Now that closed rounds have begun, I'd like to announce I'll be donating aprons to the top 3 individuals who score the highest come end of the challenge. Bubble, I'll be getting in contact with you soon about coordinating these prizes (so you don't get stuck with shipping costs, it's on my dime). Apron patterns are subject to change to make them look more badass and cool. Looking forward to seeing some really great dishes in the coming rounds.

Cheers everyone.
>>
>>7522924
Damnit, now I have to actually try. That's very generous of you.
>tfw I'll never be the Chef de Party
>>
>>7522924
Get in touch with me by email. I have the vector of this year's challenge logo I can easily send you.
>>
>>7522924
this is kinda embarrassing to ask Nack.. but i'm doing better than i expected this year and i think i might place one of these spots

what size are these? my apron at home is XXL, but XL would be fine. I think we might struggle on L
>>
>>7522928

I'll drop you a line later tonight

>>7522934

See image for sizing. The vendor I'm looking at only has a one-size-fits-all, but if that's a problem and you score top 3 I'll look into a secondary vendor who can get one that's more fitted.
>>
File: apron sizing.jpg (14 KB, 551x277) Image search: [Google]
apron sizing.jpg
14 KB, 551x277
>>7522950

Missed the image
>>
>>7522953
yeah i've tried those one size fits all.. it's really hard to tie the strings up behind me on them

I suspect i've been eating too many of my pb&j sandwiches with a hedgehog apple on the side lol
>>
>>7522958
You said it was a bunny!

-5 points to whatever dish you submit next.
>>
>>7522963
Ahh, it was a hedgehog bunny!
>>
>>7522876

I'm still in the running and already have an idea of what I'm going to do, but it's pretty far out of left field on the challenge goals.

I say interpret the round however you want, explain your choices, and then just leave it up to the few autists voting.
>>
>>7523000
It's primarily autists voting
>>
>>7522924

That's really cool of you Nack.

It would take a miracle for me to make it into the top 3, but competing for swag only increases the potential for bragging rights, and is definitely going to make me put in that much extra effort.

Are you going to keep one for yourself when you place in the top three?
>>
>>7523037
Can we not? I know it's all in good fun, but there's been enough of that stuff already.
>>
>>7522963

Yellowmug here.

I'm an alcoholic, not a fatty. That's someone else (who is probably doing better than me).

I was just in it for fun, but now really, really want one of those aprons.
>>
>>7523047
we're all friends here bud, nobody minds if you're a bit on the big side
>>
>>7523052
Ha.

I'm a bit pudgy, but not XXL yet.
>>
Posting updated detailed spreadsheet, sorted alphabetically.
>>
>>7523088
Thank you.
>>
>>7523101
Not a problem. I'm going on holiday in a few days so I probably won't get time to do this again for next round, sorry in advance.
>>
>>7523135

Please dont make me trip...
>>
>>7523135
No problem, thanks for what you've done so far
>>
>>7522774

>Cookie round
>Redemption Round

Been hoping for an Indian or Dessert round, so this will have to do.

And I will do vertical this time if I remember. Should be looking at either Friday or Saturday for my submission.
>>
>>7523660

>hoping for an Indian or Dessert round

Literally the bane of my existence. Going to have to get creative this time.
>>
>>7523660
Ah, I don't wanna give any spoilers but there may be an Indian theme round planned for later ;)
>>
>>7522774
I think Lady Pistol said they weren't participating in further rounds which was their intention the entire time.
>>
>>7524005
They sent me an email telling me they will be.
>>
>>7524005
>>7524009
i didnt send an email but i think ill participate still if thats cool, i could use an excuse to eat 1 million cookies
>>
>>7522774
Eyepatch here. Thank you for not eliminating me.
>>
>>7524047
I'm pretty sure it was you. Could be that it was someone else. You can participate.
>>
We can all participate.
We should all make an attempt (I know it's hard) to
I
G
N
O
R
E
the troll posts.
Spoonful of sugar and a grain of salt.
Don't talk about how it upsets you.
Don't fuel the fire.

Gonna be an interesting round for me. I don't like sweets unless they're hard candy. Or gelatin candy.
Got me thinkin'...
Hmmmm.....
>>
>>7523088
Also, these interest me. I appreciate your effort.
I'm curious how it would look in all areas at the end:
Most improved... etc. I like spreadsheets.
>>
>>7524047
The person you are answering to is Not me.

>>7524051
You are welcome. It was my misrake, no reason to announce victory and snatch it away. That would have been cruel.
>>
How does elimination work again? Is it with total score or round score?
>>
>>7525075
yeah
>>
>>7525075

It's the total/mean score.

Otherwise people would get eliminated just for missing a single round.
>>
Would I be allowed to bake a cake for this round, if there's some sort of 'cookie' element to it? Like a chocolate gateau with some chocolate chips sprinkled over it?
>>
>>7525111

I would just make sure a cookie is the main element of the dish and not some sort of garnish or side. If it wasn't the main element it might be voted lower.
>>
>>7525111
I'd take off points for that, its not a cookie.
>>
>>7525075
>>7525096
Wrong.
Each round has it's own individual score. Lowest two are eliminated. If you miss a round, you're eliminated.
>>
how good an idea is freezing cookie dough
>>
>>7526205

To eat frozen, or to thaw and bake later?
>>
>>7526205

It gets pretty hard man, not really edible when frozen. Id ask what you had in mind but that might ruin the surprise.
>>
>>7526205
Like liquid nitrogen? That'd be pretty sweet. But a solid disc or something doesn't sound appealing
>>
>>7526205
Most cookie dough can be fozen. Portion on your tray, freeze, tranfer to a ziploc bag. Bake emergency cookies later
>>
Bubbles, are you still [email protected]?
>>
>>7527011

>bubble agrees during the round suggestion thread that baking is dumb
>makes a baking round and then proceeds to give advice to contestants
>>
Real life issues have come up and I will be out of town for a month.

Good luck everyone else.
>>
>>7527204

Sorry to hear that bud. Hope to see you next year.
>>
>>7527073
That isn't me. You're replying to a troll.
>>
>>7525429
>>7525096
>>7525075
Bubble, can we get a confirmation on this?

>>7527204
Damn, sorry to hear that... Good luck with your things.
>>
>>7527223
>>7525429
He is correct.
>>
>>7527243
All right, really good to know!
Time to get started on some cookies.
>>
Just adopt a trip already, Bubble. It's getting ridiculous.
>>
>>7527255
No problem

>>7527257
I really didn't want it to come to this, but it is ridiculous. Sigh
>>
>>7527265
But, how do we know this is you with a trip?!
lol

Are you okay IRL?
You seem a bit sensitive about typical /ck/ 4chan BS that I'd think you'd be used to.
>>
>>7527502

not her, but it gets old after a few years. could just be me in my older age but a serious thread here and would be refreshing.
>>
>>7527553

It's not old age.

Things are much worse now than they've ever been in years past. I want the challenge to happen if only to keep some of old /ck/ alive.
>>
>>7527502
Pretty much what >>7527553 said.

I put a lot of time and effort into this and spend money too. I'm not begrudging that, but it does get very draining to constantly see the threads derailed and people forgetting what the competition is supposed to be about.
>>
File: racer x.jpg (399 KB, 864x1536) Image search: [Google]
racer x.jpg
399 KB, 864x1536
>>7527610
Well, try not to let it get to you please.
There's plenty of us who appreciate it but are more lurky than vocal.
I just try to ignore the drama.
Also, I'm in my mid 40s if that helps you feel younger.
>>
>>7527699
Yeah, thanks. It's definitely best just ignored.
>>
>>7527736
Love you :)
>>
>>7527736

Are you the real Bubble?

>>7527739
>>
>>7527046
Yes.
>>
>>7527502
The one with the trip isn't me btw. And no, I'm not ok, thanks for asking.
>>
>>7527805
How are we supposed to know if you're the real you or the troll?
>>
>>7527699
>>7527742
You weren't talking to me but thanks, I appreciate this.

>>7527204
Sorry to read that. Feel free to post entries along when you come back!

>>7527610
True enough.
>>
>>7527810
Meh. -I could - make a running list of my actual posts on the blog I guess. I just refuse to use a trip out of principle, same as II have for the last 5 years.
>>
>>7527818
If it really is you, why aren't you okay?
>>
>>7527818

Just keep doing what you've been doing.

There may only be a few of us, but we appreciate you stepping up and making this happen.
>>
>>7527821
Stress. Insomnia (I think I am averaging 4/night for the last 2-3 weeks). My SO of 3 years walking out on me, without warning. Take your pick?
>>
>>7527839

Yikes girl, rough seas. I can relate to the insomnia, but not the walking out of--I've found more happiness in singlehood than togetherness and don't want to spoil it. Hoping for your best. Unsure if you're one of those against the taking of medication, but if you need a good sleep aide I can vouch for mirtazapine 15mg first hand. Quick to bed, no fuzzies in the morning.
>>
>>7527839

That's rough.

Almost two years later I'm still getting over my ex of eight years leaving me on what seemed like a whim, while abroad.

If it took less than two hours to get to the Canadian border I'd offer to drive up and make you cookies and have a snuggle, but sometimes we just have to settle for /ck/.

Hang in there.
>>
>>7527839
take a trip to houston girl ill make you a frito pie and some dizdik, put you right to sleep ya heard girl ayyyy
>>
>>7527839
Shit times, yo.

I don't know anything about your personal life to give advice but you should take comfort in the fact that your willingness to organise and orchestrate this challenge every year is making loads of people all around the world really happy, even if the gratitude isn't immediately obvious or rewarding.

There will always be trolls, and there will always be haters. This is 4chan. But remember that 4chan has hundreds of lurkers for every poster and voter, and many people that dip in and out look forward to these threads, even if they don't directly contribute. It's demanding and annoying to do I'm sure, but loads of us appreciate your time and sacrifice to make something fun and worthwhile for our love for food and cooking.

Keep fighting the good fight, cause it will all be OK.
>>
>>7527876
>Almost two years later I'm still getting over my ex of eight years leaving me on what seemed like a whim, while abroad.
I hear that. But expect the SO to do that. Still can't get over mine from 8 years ago. She put a bullet in her head 2 years ago and I just can't let it go.
She was crazy.
Loved her to death though.

So, is everyone making macarons?
I'm really stymied.
Really want to not get eliminated.
Trying to think and be creative...
>>
>>7527930
>There will always be trolls, and there will always be haters. This is 4chan. But remember that 4chan has hundreds of lurkers for every poster and voter, and many people that dip in and out look forward to these threads, even if they don't directly contribute. It's demanding and annoying to do I'm sure, but loads of us appreciate your time and sacrifice to make something fun and worthwhile for our love for food and cooking.

blah blah blah
but this.
really heartfelt.
this.
>>
>>7527971
i am a mediocre cook and a shit baker but i think i have a pretty interesting idea, its a secret tho
>>
We love you and all you do.
I think the majority of us can tell the difference between you and the other.
Please don't lose hope.
This is coming from a person who was (for some reason or other) a shit poster in these threads. Thought it was banal. Finally decided to throw my hat in the ring after 6 or 7 years of hate.
A lot of people are having fun.
A lot of people are taking it seriously.
I'm doing both, to an extent, and I appreciate the push. The push to be creative. And I thank you for the push. I need to be more creative.
>>
>>7527986
Can't wait....
Imma make a test run with my idea this weekend.
Ice cream sandwich got a veto, as did potato chip cookie (with bacon) because I was told it was too savory.
I got an idea, just not sure how to put it into food. Rootbeer float.
>>
>>7527990
>I appreciate the push. The push to be creative

pretty much this, i didnt expect to enjoy this challenge as much as i am, its motivating me to think about cooking differently than i had

if your SO did actually leave you bubbles go whore it up a bit and have some fun, get drunk, do some blow, table dance, fall off a table, get kicked out of a bar, rob a gas station, live it up a bit im drunk sorry
>>
>>7528005
>do some blow
dude... I'm there.
Gimme.
Everyone in this town must think I'm a nark. Probably best that way. I love it more than it loves me.
I've put up shit food so far. Nothing technical or interesting IMO. Gonna try to step it up. Hopefully it will rate well. Got to make up for the chicken fried steak fiasco. It was pretty much shit.
Rootbeer float incoming.??
>>
>>7527853
Thank you. Not a fan of sleeping meds, but I appreciate the intent.

>>7527832
Thanks.

>>7527876
Lol, thank you. It's raining here, wouldn't be a fun roadtrip.

>>7527910
Lol, a bit far but thank you.

>>7527930
Thank you. Really. I helps to read that.

>>7527990
Glad you decided to join us, and very happy if you're having fun.

>>7528005
Lol, it's ok. Kinda was a variation of my plans (minus the blow and the dancing).
Coordinating to have a friend who lives in the boondocks drive down to see me today. An other is promising me "drinks I won't taste" at some point tmr and a good bitch fest. And I'm probably going to spend most on Sunday at the boardgame bar place (they have good food, good drinks, jujubes shooters and a couple hundred boardgames to play). So hopefully I will feel better monday.

@everyone :
Thank you for the kind words and encouragements. It means a lot to me.
>>
>>7526246
>>7526277
>>7526740
>>7527011
Alright thanks for the advice guys

>>7527839
Stay strong bubz! I look forward to this event every year and appreciate everything you do. Enjoy being a free woman!
>>
>>7527971

No macaroons here. I have a little something up my sleeve, or an idea at least. Spent the last 2 days looking at methods I haven't done before to create it and think I'm ready. Man... I hate making confectioneries though; not my cup of tea. Savory all the way.
>>
>>7528098
Sounds like a terrible hipster bar.
>>
never been to this thread before and i have to say this thread is wonderful. seems you've had a lot of troubles but this seems like a very nice chan this here /ck.

a question though, as some has been said about what, or what isn't, a cookie; does the cookie have to be sweet? i can't think of one right now but i'm sure there are cookies that aren't sweet, or at least, some that doesn't have sweetness as the centerpiece taste.

also, i think it would be fun to know the nationality(not race, but where u grew up) of the contestants? or perhaps i could ask for at least a hint, so i get a general idea.
>>
>>7528477

There's many varieties of cookies out there, some sweet, some not. I'd recommend always taking the round theme at face value. Deconstructing and reconstructing something that isn't a cookie into someones "take" on a cookie might net you lost points from traditionalists. Cookies are cookies, no matter what ethnicity or region. They're a patty either sweet or not sweet, made primarily from a starch, sugar and butter.
>>
I've got mine all planned out. It's gong to be a lot of work, but it should be fun. I'm making a bunch of things I've never made before for this one. I won't have time to make it until Monday, but I'm super exited, and I can't wait to get started.
>>
>>7528666
This isn't your blog
>>
>>7528674

Not him but get the fuck out, you're cancer.
>>
>>7528684
>Salvador Curry

Fuck off back to India
>>
What's up with the weird ass trips guise?
>>
>>7528921
you tell me amanda
>>
any of yous want to start a monthly version of this. get a secret ingredient on the first of the month, time stamped pic due by last day of the month. same scoring with leader board decided by popular vote. use to hone plating skills. maby at the end of the year top score gets something like a calendar with the each month's winning entry or something.
>>
>>7528921
I actually like it. People are being nice and referring to people by first name on 4chan.
>>
>>7529012
wanna shoot over to /b/ to see if it's working there? -Dabsy Aka "Marion Massey"
>>
>>7528995

Monthly? No.
Quarterly? Maybe
Twice a year? Definitely.
>>
>>7529019
twice a year only gives 2 chances to make it to the top. however quarterly sounds like a plan. any suggestions for the rules? -Dabsy
>>
>>7528938
That's kind of freaky. That's literally the name of someone in my family and my trip directly ties into their family name and another relation.
>>
>>7529029
how fascinating shelby
>>
>>7529021
hows about you wait till this contest is over before you try to steal bubbles idea
>>
>>7529038
i'm trying to come up with a way to practice and come up with new ideas. everyone i know thinks fancy cookin is using the oven instead of the microwave. i wasn't going to start it now gotta plan it out first. also if it ain't broke.
-Dabsy
>>
>>7527997
try this as a jumping off point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke
-Dabsy
>>
just got my ingredients today..... i'm afraid its gonna be a little too basic bitch, but i can't wait to eat these cookies!
>>
Just letting you guys know, i'll be taking part in this round. I won't be including my own score, I just felt like making some cookies myself so I bought the stuff for them earlier :)
>>
>>7529289
It's Bubbleburst by the way
>>
>>7529297

Nice try, "Cecil Chang".

In any case, we all already knew that Bubbleburst's real name was Lola Aguilar.
>>
>>7529038
It's not stealing. Squee used to run a monthly one-shot challenge threads fir a while.
>>
>>7528442
FYI, macaroons ≠ macarons
>>
question: would you consider small tarts cookies?
>>
>>7529543

I wouldn't.

Classify it more as a pastry than a baked good. That sounds a little convoluted being their both baked sweeets, but this is a typical perception on differentiating these types of foods.
>>
I like the name thing and wish they'd keep it, though I wish you kept the same name the whole thread like they do with the identifiers on /pol/
>>
Just finished mine and picked out my pictures.

Was hoping to get it in for April Fool's, but probably wont get around to doing the vertical tonight (not as though it's still the first for anyone outside of the Americas).
>>
File: Dog Cookie Human Treat.jpg (982 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Dog Cookie Human Treat.jpg
982 KB, 2048x1536
I don’t like cookies, or dessert, or baking. So I asked myself, “who does like cookies?” and the answer was, “the dog”, so I ran with that.

I’m calling it a Dog Cookie/Human Treat. The flavor profile is based around all my dog’s favorite foods/treats, but made to be enjoyed by people with opposable thumbs.

So I present bacon and braunschweiger cookies, fried in bacon fat, with bacon and habanero caramel sauce, a candied vegetation garnish/salad, and a peanut butter time stamp, served in a dog bowl.

In the mug is a milk stout, for “milk and cookies”. The timestamp isn’t technically part of the presentation, but if I didn’t give the dog something to lick afterwards she never would have forgiven me for using her princess bowl.

Credit to Borneo for the candied fruit idea; I basically used this as an experiment and tried candying everything I had lying around.

It might sound like an odd dish, but the combination of sweet, savory, salty, and spicy actually worked really well.
>>
File: Dog Cookie Human Treat Vertical.png (4 MB, 1000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Dog Cookie Human Treat Vertical.png
4 MB, 1000x3000
>>7529831

Vertical.
>>
File: Peanut Butter Dog.jpg (854 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Peanut Butter Dog.jpg
854 KB, 2048x1536
>>7529832

And the puppy demolishing the time stamp.
>>
File: 1326411866707.jpg (60 KB, 471x694) Image search: [Google]
1326411866707.jpg
60 KB, 471x694
>>7529831
Presentation: 1/5
Originality: 3/5
Appeal: 0/5
Challenge Goals: 0/5
Total: 4/20
This isn't a cookie at all. It doesn't fit any possible definition of a cookie and desu, it looks plain bad.

What the fuck are you doing? Am I getting trolled here?
>>
>>7529968
I think you're being very disrespectful. If you don't like my dish that's fair enough, but no need to be rude about it. And 4/20? Come on.
>>
>>7529986
Look, it's my opinion. I'm sorry but I think that legitimately does not look good and the score I gave is what I believe it deserves.

Sorry if I offended you.
>>
>>7530002
And I think at the very minimum it's worth at least a 12/20. But I guess we're all entitled to our opinions.

Are you one of the people competing? If so, do you have the balls to post who so I can judge your dish accordingly?
>>
File: Peanut Butter Dog 2.jpg (854 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Peanut Butter Dog 2.jpg
854 KB, 2048x1536
>>7529968

Yellowmug here.

This >>7529986 is not me (pic for proof).

I went into this round expecting some controversy and low scores on challenge goals (the plating admittedly didn't turn out quite as nice as I wanted), but I'm not going to bitch and try to start shit about it.

I take the "fun and creative" part of the challenge to heart, so if you see anyone complaining about scores and shit it's not me.
>>
>>7530009
you're the guy who requested the XXL apron if you win?
>>
>>7530006
I'm not, nice try

>>7530009
Fair enough, I hope you still stay in cause I liked your previous entries. This one just doesn't do it for me at all. Good luck anyways!
>>
>>7530014

>you're the guy who requested the XXL apron if you win

Kek, no.

>>7530015

>good luck anyways

Thanks. I never expected to make it into the top 3 to begin with (as much as I would like an apron). It's the first year I've competed and I'm just having fun with it and making the most outlandish dishes I can think of for each round's theme. I thought the dog cookie idea was pretty good, but it's up to the people voting to decide.
>>
>>7529832
if i'm remembering correctly, isn't spicy food up there under chocolate on the list of things not to feed pets? -Dabsy
>>
>>7529832
>>7529831
I'm sorry, but would this be considered a cookie? It seems to me it's more like a fried sandwich.
>>
>>7529831
Presentation: 1/5 (PB timestamp and blue paper should have been removed)
Originality: 4/5
Appeal: 2/5 (dog liked it)
Challenge Goals: 0/5 (not a cookie)
Total: 7/20
>>
>>7530152
I've read it takes pounds of chocolate to kill most dogs.
>>
>>7529831
Presentation: 0/5 (I get the idea behind the bowl, but it looks awful in there)
Appeal: 1/5
Challenge goals: 0/5 (round doesn't = cookie)
Total: 5/20
>>
>>7529831
Presentation: 0/5
I guess this was intended to be an April Fool's joke but it doesn't seem that appetising. The candied vegetables do pique my interest though. The peanut butter looks like excrement and the doggy bowl reminds me of a toilet bowl - the plating reminds me of that one Taiwanese toilet restaurant but more poopy.

I think there was definitely an opportunity to make these more cookie-like. You could have made oatmeal or rye crackers for instance instead of using bread.
>>
File: 20160402_115114.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160402_115114.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (460 KB, 1000x1920) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
460 KB, 1000x1920
>>7530687
>>
File: CK 4 Cookie Bark.jpg (2 MB, 2304x3072) Image search: [Google]
CK 4 Cookie Bark.jpg
2 MB, 2304x3072
Here's my entry: Smartie Cookie Bark.

Infographic to follow (might take a while, I struggle with GIMP)
>>
File: CK 4 Cookie Bark infographic.jpg (2 MB, 2696x3232) Image search: [Google]
CK 4 Cookie Bark infographic.jpg
2 MB, 2696x3232
>>7530837
Infographic attached
>>
>>7530687
These are some great looking biscuits.
>>
>>7529831

Can confirm dog cookies are frequently bacon and/or liver flavored.
>>
>>7529831
Originality: 5/5
You just took whatever you were making for dinner that night and made up a story about it being cookies for your dog.
>>7530687
Presentation: 2/5
Originality: 1/5
Appeal: 3/5
Challenge Goals: 5/5
Total: 11/20
>>7530837
>>
>>7531221
>You just took whatever you were making for dinner that night and made up a story about it being cookies for your dog.

This. It's like Lyin' Tom all over again.
>>
>>7529831

Challenge Goals: 4/5
Total: 14/20

Probably going to be the most interesting thing we get this round. Proper lighting and a real camera would make a huge difference.

>>7530687

Originality: 2/5
Appeal: 2/5

They look pretty good, but it's just a plate of cookies.

>>7530837

Total: 10/20

Looks like a mess, and all that extra candy and nuts isn't appealing at all.
>>
>>7530837

Challenge Goals: 1/5
Total: 4/20

It may be for humans but I wouldn't even serve this to my dog. Probably the worst semi-serious entry we've had so far

>>7530687

Appeal: 4/5
Challenge Goals: 3/5
Total: 12/20

Pretty good desu. i'd eat these. Pistachio and strawberry is a decently interesting combination. They look a little 'meh' though. Could've been presented better. Cracked cookie upfront is a weird decision. .

>>7529831

I liked how you took the challenge theme and put your own spin on it. I'd say you were definitely on the right track here, bet you got carried away and went too far. Overall it's a miss, but it's an intriguing one. Good effort.
>>
>>7531672
>appeal: 3/5

Why lie?
>>
>>7532099

i usually ignore these threads, first time actually dropping in, never voted, but i'd eat that, i'd give it about a 3 probably too
>>
>>7532113
And we know who started it all, unfortunately.
>>
>>7532099

It's basically a bacon and liverwurst sandwich turned into cookie form with a sweet and spicy topping.

To me at least it's more appealing than some variation on a plate of sugar, flour, and fat.
>>
>>7532141
> turned into cookie form

Explain to me at what point exactly this became a cookie
>>
>>7532141
If that's a 3/5 by your standards of appeal, any half decent food must be 5/5 easily.
>>
>>7532190

>Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
>your personal taste
>>
>>7532219
Predictable comeback. Doesn't make what I said any less true. If pic related looks like 3/5 on appeal by your standards, literally any good food from anywhere must be a 5/5.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 447x59) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11 KB, 447x59
>>7530696
>>
>>7532233

Your cropped screenshot actually makes it look more appealing.

I don't think 3/5 is unreasonable at all. It basically says, "I like the ingredients involved and would be willing to try it, but am apprehensive about whether or not I'd like the end result".

>>7532264

You have to pull out if you're going to decorate.
>>
>>7532266
3/5 pretty much universally means 'good', 4 being very good and 5 being excellent. 2/5 at best.
>>
>>7532272

>3/5 pretty much universally means 'good'

Apparently /ck/ lies somewhere outside of the universe.
>>
>>7532279
Apparently so.
>>
>>7532279
/ck/ especially lies a lot in this contest
>>
>>7532279
2.5/5 would be average, 3/5 would be above average. Is that odd?
>>
>>7532297

When the options are 1,2,3,4,5, yes.
>>
>>7529831
Is this a meme entry?
>>
>>7532349

Dogs liked bacon before it became a "meme", and will like bacon long after.
>>
>>7532368
Just seems like his submission is a meme cookie
>>
>>7532384

It's already gotten more absurdly low votes than half of the entries are going to get in total. Just drop it already.
>>
>>7532406
>Just drop it already

I asked one question. Why are you so sensitive? Okay that's 2 questions now.
>>
File: bpcc1.jpg (142 KB, 600x758) Image search: [Google]
bpcc1.jpg
142 KB, 600x758
Ok, for my entry I went back to my southern roots to play with a classic.

Butter Pecan Cookies with Caramel Filling and Drizzle. It's literally a cookie version of a praline. The filling is homemade soft caramel candy and the drizzle is a homemade sauce. Both are in the vertical.

I hope they look as good as they taste. I may start to get fat....
>>
File: bpcc2.jpg (70 KB, 542x412) Image search: [Google]
bpcc2.jpg
70 KB, 542x412
Here's kind of a money shot....I really wanted to get that 'string of caramel on the inside' but failed miserably, but you can see the caramel inside at least......
>>
>>7532934
I love your fingers Rei
>>
File: bpccvertical.jpg (1 MB, 1208x3576) Image search: [Google]
bpccvertical.jpg
1 MB, 1208x3576
Finally, vertical.

Now to make supper....although I've pretty much ruined any idea of an appetite with decadent cookies....
>>
>>7532937
t..t...thanks? they are always too red when taking pictures and i generally try to crop them out....
>>
>>7532942
No need to crop them out, i'd be proud to pass them finger genetics on to my children if it was me
>>
>>7532930
>>7532934
And my rates

Presentation: 4/5
Appeal: 5/5
Total: 18/20

Honestly they're pretty close to perfect as far as a plate of cookies go. I think i'd have to take my time with them, I imagine the caramel makes them pretty rich
>>
>>7531961

I think there is a mixup here in the ratings, not mine, but I get the distinct feeling that 1 and 3 were switched accidentally.
>>
>>7532930

Everything looks like it was well made, and the money shot looks much more appealing than the timestamp pic, but it's still just a plate of cookies, and sounds way too rich for my blood.
>>
>>7532996
>appeal: 1/5

As subjective as this is, that's still idiotic.
>>
>>7533000
>>7532996
my guess is he's someone who got rated low and is trying to balance out the scores
>>
>>7533000
>>7533014
Maybe someone should start a /ck/ challenge ratings rating thread where raters can rate the raters' ratings in the /ck/ challenge thread.
I mean, instead of doing it in here.

Good job so far everyone. Got to get of my ass and make mine in the next couple days.
>>
>>7533032
I can't wait to rate yours with extra low points to balance out the scores, won't be a problem for you right? :)
>>
>>7529831

>>7530687
Total: 13/20

They look and sound great, but they are a bit basic

>>7530837
Challenge Goals: 3/5
Total: 9/20

They could've looked a lot better

>>7532930
Total: 16/20

The money shot brought the appeal down, but the cookies look great
>>
>>7533203

How does a pile of cookies on a plate get 4/5 on presentation and the dog bowl thing get a 0/5? It looks bad, but at least some effort was put into the presentation.
>>
>>7533304
How was effort put into the presentation? Would you seriously say it takes effort to put those 2 things in a dog bowl?

Rei's cookies look attractive on the plate, there's only so much you can do with them and sometimes simple is best. She nailed it, dog bowl didn't.
>>
>>7533335

>how was effort put into the presentation

Seriously?

They're stacked exactly the same way as Rei's, in a thematic dish with a sauce, and also have a garnish. Don't get me wrong, it's not great, but 0/5 should basically be for if you cooked something and just threw it on the ground.

I think you're conflating "good presentation" with "pretty picture".

Not saying Rei didn't do a good job, you made the comparison. It just seems way off to give such varying scores, and to give a zeros for a serious entry.
>>
>>7533411
I'm not even the one who gave those scores, I just don't see why you're so butthurt about it. Unless you're yellow mug pretending to be someone sticking up for him, that'd explain it. Put both of those dishes in front of any half decent chef and ask him which is presented better. He won't stick up for your dog bowl either i'm afraid.
>>
>>7533417

Not a contestant, but I don't think I gave a 0/5 on anything for the operation thing or the one with the stick of gum and unpopped popcorn.

Just seems like some really harsh scores.
>>
>>7533426
Like I said, wasn't my score. But 'at least some effort was put into the presentation', there was no effort put into it. There was an idea, sure. That comes into originality.

You can say 'pretty picture' all you like but visual appeal IS part of presentation. You eat with your eyes first. It deserves a lot score on that one. Sorry.
>>
>>7533426

Hey fuck off asshole. It's people like you that made me and Tom drop out of the competition.

Have some respect for competitors
>>
>>7533445
The fuck?
>>
>>7533304
you can't be serious

the fucking guy tried to write the date with peanut butter on the side of the dog bowl. Can you imagine if someone served that to you in a restaurant. It's absolute shit. and anything above 1/5 for presentation is ridiculous.

I apologize yellow mug guy. Maybe you're a great cook. You obviously made some good stuff to make the top 15. But this is a garbage garbage garbage dish, Like shockingly awful.
>>
>>7533454
I am drunk and I put an @ sign instead of the pound sign.

You can now take over the role of Competition !ix3vcgLfHY

Use it well my friend. Use it well.
>>
>>7533458
I think he just took a big gamble and it failed. Presuming it isn't him >>7533304 making these posts, then the people who are are making it worse. Saying 'they're stacked exactly the same as Rei's' was particularly dumb. One is presented awfully, one isn't.
>>
>>7533467
Ya that's what I'm saying. I mean hell he's probably a good cook and maybe that thing even tastes good (probably not) but this was a huge miscalculation.

The crumpled piece of paper that it's sitting on also kinda makes me think he's trolling us right now
>>
>>7532996
>>7533475
If it is him samefagging then this is almost certainly his 'ratings', obviously bitter about the scores he got so he's giving low presentation and appeal in return.
>>
>>7532992
>>7531961
YES

You're absolutely correct. My apologies Bubble. Or whoever is doing the scoring. Switch 1 and 3
>>
>>7533475
>The crumpled piece of paper that it's sitting on also kinda makes me think he's trolling us right now
thats obviously so he didnt get anything spicy in the dog bowl so his dog could still eat out of it, god you people are retarded and taking this too seriously and its ruining the contest.
>>
>>7533510
>he

I think we've established you've been angrily defending yourself as other people since you submitted your entry. It's becoming more and more obvious. Not even kidding.
>>
>>7533510

So last thread it's
>people aren't taking this seriously enough!

and now it's
>omg stop taking it so seriously

it's clear you won't be happy until everyone gives you perfect scores. It's pathetic
>>
>>7533510
When I vote I try to imagine myself at a restaurant, and what I would think if each dish was presented in front of me. It doesn't have to be a fancy or pretentious restaurant. It could be homestyle, pub grub etc.

But i would not be happy if someone brought that dog bowl out and placed it in front of me no matter WHAT kind of restaurant I was in.
>>
Summary of what we've learnt in this thread

>yellow mug took a gamble and made an awful dish
>yellow mug realizes it to an extent but is still furious at the low scores it's gotten
>yellow mug has started relentlessly samefagging in his own defense, pretending to be other people 'not in the competition'. This is evident by the way he keeps saying things like 'yeah it isn't great BUT' over and over, he thinks this makes it more subtle. But it makes it more obvious really.
>yellow mug also tries to cover this up by saying things like 'if you see anyone complaining about the scores and shit it's not me', and by trying to hide his obviously angry, biased rating >>7532996 here by giving a 5 on challenge goals and sneaking a half hearted little compliment in (everything looks fine).

Yellow mug, this is painfully obvious and an embarrassment, please for your own sake just stop. You could have acknowledged your idea was a flop and at least collected some points for originality. You've tried to influence peoples opinions by acting like other posters. Time to give it up.
>>
File: ck_knifebro_Verticle.jpg (2 MB, 2824x5584) Image search: [Google]
ck_knifebro_Verticle.jpg
2 MB, 2824x5584
I proudly present my submission to the fourth round of the 2016 Annual /ck/ challenge.

Thyme Shortbread Cookies with Earl Grey Icing

Also: my first vertical (due to aggressive popular demand in last round)
>>
>>7533544

Hoping to see more savory this round, and "tea time" is great. The presentation looks like a stack of communion wafers with a big white dick covered in twigs and an inedible garnish off to the side, but it's one of the few entries that sound appealing this round.
>>
>>7533544
Why do all of the biscuits in this thread look so amazing? Interesting use of Earl Grey too.
>>
>>7529831
Don't ever give your dog cookies, chocolate is poisonous to them.
>>
>>7532930
Total: 16/20
Looks and sounds pretty damn nice for a plate of cookies

>>7533544
Total: 17/20
Very interesting and creative
>>
>>7530837
Fun but it just seems like something I'd find at a school bake sale.

>>7532930
Total: 15/20
I really like the caramel filling for this one. I'd definitely like to try it. In terms of presentation, I don't care much for the drizzle on top. Really cool cookie, though.

>>7533544
Sounds interesting - I'm not sure that I can imagine how well the earl grey would come through the icing though. I'm also unsure in the texture of the thyme considering they weren't toasted or cooked any way first, particularly with the icing.
>>
>>7533491
>>7531961
To clarify this: Yellowmug gets the 4/20, Longship gets the 11/20. Switched scoring.
>>
>>7533544
I have to ask, how does earl grey and thyme taste together? And be honest, don't say great just for the thread.
>>
>>7529831

that's not a cookie

that's a sandwich
>>
>>7533531
You had a good run. You trolled a lot of ppl. It's over now.
Sorry if you aren't original troll and someone else fucked it up for you by being too obvious.
>>
>>7532415
I bet you're that same asshole who wouldn't shut up about sausage for two days.
>>
>>7532930
>>7532934
holy hell I would sell my soul for a bite of that
>>
>>7532930
Challenge Goa
ls: 5/5
Total: 17/20
>>7533544
>>
>>7533544

why did you shape it like a penis
>>
>>7529831
HAHAHA WTF
>>
>>7529831
>>7534412

Sorry I've composed myself

>Presentation: 0/5
>Originality: 3/5
>Appeal: 0/5
>Challenge Goals: 0/5
>Total: 3/20
>>
Guys please stop lying in here. This is a no lie zone
>>
>>7534418
You think that's funny, look at his samefag defending of his dish >>7533510
>>7533411
>>7533304
>>7532132
>>
>>7534434
I leave for a week.

What the fuck is happening here
>>
>>7534468
>>7533531
this guy summed it up
>>
>>7533677

The entire process took longer than I was expecting and among trying to do other things it took me about 3 hours. Initially the earl grey wasn't super strong in the icing but after an hour or two of sitting it really absorbed the flavour. I mean, its still more subtle than say, chocolate or coffee, but its very earl grey-ey now.

I wouldn't toast or cook the time. Its the softness of the thyme in its flavour that I am, going for. I wanted the flavour but lightness of the tea and the "softness" of the thyme. They do get some cooking in the oven so its not entirely raw herbs.

>>7533742

My friends and gf keep telling me it doesn't matter what I make as long as it looks good the internet people wont know if it tastes bad.

I continually tell them
"If the second your not directly accountable for your actions you start trying to find ways to lie and cheat, you got shit morals"
To be totally honest, if I made something that wasn't good, I wouldn't submit it. I would just eat it and make something else the next day.

That being said, they are really good. Neither is really strong flavours, both more subtle soft flavours ( not like cinnamon, peanut butter, etc). The cookies are not overly sweet themselves so it lends well to the thyme. The sweetness of the cookie comes from the icing. They both come across as "tea time" flavours and it just works well.

Best Crème brûlée I ever had was a thyme Crème brûlée

>>7534410
Sry, am trying different plating methods and stuff. Look at each past dish. I am trying something different each time. This time was the spoon swipe thing but I had too much icing and it blobbed.
>>
File: IMG_20160403_170955.jpg (161 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160403_170955.jpg
161 KB, 1283x962
heres my submission, dark chocolate cookies with pretzel and popato chisps
>>
>>7534609

First Response
Second Para,

"thyme" not "time"
>>
>>7534611
Appeal: 5/5
Total: 18/20
My favourite cookies so far. The cookie looks abominably cute and the toppings look really good.
>>
>>7534611
Appeal: 2/5 (don't understand the potato chips and they don't look good to me, sorry)
>>
>>7534611

Total: 9/20
>>
>>7534635

She's never going to fuck you.
>>
>>7534611
seems kinda gross t b h
>>
>>7534707
There was definitely something dodgy going on there
>>
>>7534521
>>7533531
Ha, and this was the same guy who got so mad at people not giving his terrible sandwich over 15 last round
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.