[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it cheaper to make your own chicken/beef stock or buy them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1433175511683.jpg (60 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1433175511683.jpg
60 KB, 480x360
Is it cheaper to make your own chicken/beef stock or buy them in those containers? What can you do with the little bits of chicken/beef left over? I'm just trying to maximize efficiency and costs here.
>>
File: broccoflower.jpg (173 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
broccoflower.jpg
173 KB, 500x375
i make mine out of leftover bones and vegetable scraps.. i can it in pint jars

i guess the initial cost of the canner and jars needs to be factored in but at this point it's basically free
>>
>>7308128

what are you making out of the chicken that you have to debone them yourself?
>>
>>7308159
i don't buy deboned chicken.. usually thighs and legs on the grill
sometimes i'll roast a whole one..
i am fussy about chicken.. it has to be raised on pasture
>>
>>7308118

after you factor in energy, water and time, its pretty close. probably marginally cheaper if you're unemployed and have nothing but free time. the real reason to do it is because you control the taste, and its traditional and you enjoy it.

>>7308128
see above. not free.
>>
>>7308182
a cubic meter of water is about $1.50
cost to run the electric burner for an hour and a half to process the jars ~ $1.15
cost to run the slow cooker for 12-24 hours ~ $0.15-$0.30

an hour of free time in the evening or if i have a day off, it's not a lot of effort.. just take all the scraps, put them in the slow cooker and let it stew for a time, strain it and ladle it into pint jars and process yields about 12-14 pints

sooo.. $2.95 + an hour or so of cozy at home labor compared to $23.00 for roughly the same amount from amazon..
http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Organic-Chicken-Stock-Count/dp/B00871D128/ref=pd_sim_325_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41%2BaQXcDrAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0Q7SF474VJVEN7JX38YV
>>
>>7308254
Well why did you ask then faggot
>>
>>7308118
I would say buy a broiler chicken or game hen. Have an excellent meal. Then use the throw-aways to slow cook for hours on end to extract all the flavor for just the scraps you'd throw away. If you don't eat meat but aren't vegetarian, then just get the box stock.
>>
>>7308254

so you're worth $21.75/hr? Ok. forge ahead, my man. My day rate is $1890 so forgive me for not putting economizing food that can be had for $2/pint at the head of my priorities.
>>
I guess the only way to really economize this would be to use every part of the chicken before making stock. But then only using bones and scraps wouldn't taste as good as using real meat. Buying 3 dollar cans of stock isn't really so bad from that perspective.
>>
>>7308828
nigga what the fuck do you do that makes $1890 an day?

Like is it even that feasible to suck that many dicks?
>>
>>7308254

You're not even calculating all the costs of making chicken/beef stock. How much of the chicken are you using before making the stock? Even if you eat all of the chicken you have to calculate the cost of vegetables and spices and the cost of time it takes to make it. So the real cost of stock is the chicken/vegetables/other shit/time versus maybe 6 dollars of store bought stock. It comes out pretty even in my opinion and making stock from scraps isn't as good.
>>
>>7308848

IT analyst. Tell Microsoft how to get their shitty stuff out the door and tell shitty companies how to make Microsoft bend over and take it in the ass.

I don't make $1890 every day, that's what the company charges for my time. I pull in low 6 figures
>>
>>7308840
>>7308858
lolll
>thinking campbell's or whoever isn't just using vegetable peelings and old worn out laying hens in their canned shit

also stock =/= broth .. stock is not spiced
>>
>>7308869
Nice. That's literally what I'm in school for right now.

I might go back for a master's in stats but if I can land something cushy like that, I'll just roll with it.
>>
>implying buying bulk bouillon isn't the best way to go

fucking casuals
>>
>>7308869
Roleplayers on /ck/. Amazing.

I left /x/ to get away from this shit.
>>
>>7308908
it's a nice gig. i have a technical background but also strong communication facility(AKA good with people). finish school, land a semi-paid/underpaid position as a research intern and bascially be smart, all the time. someone will notice.

>>7309009
you want a paystub or something? Is it that hard to believe? I had real jobs too, ya know. Worked in supermarkets, gas stations and as laborer/carpenter and now I'm a professional. Shit happens the right way sometimes.
>>
>>7309043
It is very hard to believe that your time is way too valuable to can a bit of stock but here you are posting on 4chan, yes.
>>
>>7309052
Shitposting is priceless, anon. Priceless.
>>
>>7309043
Stay on topic you blog posting faggot
>>
>>7308118
It really depends on what you mean by cheap. Do you mean the time you spend making it v what you might be making working or is it some day where you don't have to work but then have to watch it v quality.

Be specific.
>>
>>7308869
That's pretty crappy for a daily rate if you're only working one day a week. They really fuck you on the daily rates especially when you're expected work really long hours.

Relax, have some fun and do it hourly, don't be a punk.
>>
>>7309086

I'm on salary, dude. That's just a concrete example of what my time is worth, that's literally my value to the company as a cash generator. It's not exceptional, our top sales guys pulled in like $.5m last year after landing posh contracts, I hate that fucking snake.

>>7309052
recreation has a tangible and sometimes quantifiable benefit, it's not all about my extremely middleclass lifestyle

>>7309065
priceless
>>7309070
I make stock all the time, made and posted several go-arounds as OC here. I do it for the pleasure of making my momma's recipes and general cooking
>>
>>7309141
Is it at all possible for you to work 24 hours a day? Because if not your opportunity cost constitutes a bullshit false equation like it always does and maybe you should shut up now.

But good on you for posting some decent OC in the past, if you have.
>>
>>7309141
It used to be that any oc was good, but now there's a couple of faggots that have made their own lil cooking generals and act like it's their personal blog.
>>
>>7309152

labor value is calculated at 8hrs per working day(233/yr on avg)/per hr.

>tmyk.jpg
>>
>>7309070
>Gold Five: Stay on target.
>Gold Leader: We're too close!
>Gold Five: Stay on target!
>Gold Five to Red leader, lost Tiree, lost Dutch.
>Red Leader: I copy, Gold Leader.
>Gold Five: They came from... behind!
>>
>>7309075

I just want the most bang for my bucks since I'm dirt poor and I like making stew.
>>
>>7308828
>working for a company that's not your own
>listing bill rate
kek
>>
>>7308858
i eat most of the chicken meat and keep backs, necks, bones, giblets etc. for the stock
also, i save celery ends, carrot peels, outer onion layers and other odds and ends that people like to just trash in jars in the freezer until i have 5 or 6 pints

so the only thing left is salt and pepper so you can add $.000? to my original sum

>>7308828
i don't get what you're saying here? you don't cook at home because you have a job so it's not worth your time?
spending $2 for something worth <$0.25 is foolish, especially when the $2 shit is garbage in comparison
>>
>>7309484
it's an objective economic analysis. I cook at home becuase it's better and i love it but if you look at the whole picture, it's actually a waste of my time from a pure $$ perspective. you could say the same thing about flour, it's objectively bad for me to grind my own flour from wheat berries vs buying flour, but I do that sometimes too because I like it.

It's not a real-world analysis, it's a way to assign a theorectical permanent cost to a good or a service. Just a way of understanding what is what overall
>>
that's not a comparable example at all because wheat berries are a lot more expensive than flour because of economies of scale

a better example is grinding and brewing coffee at home which is absolutely more economical than buying a cup at a cafe
>>
>>7310717
Ima eat subway everday

cux it cheeper den makin it myself
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.