[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is going to be the most retard /ck/ question ever. When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 1408893523476.jpg (15 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1408893523476.jpg
15 KB, 500x334
This is going to be the most retard /ck/ question ever.

When I am boiling something hard (like pasta or rice) and I don't want of them to stick to the pot, I keep mixing it for the whole boiling process. But things always seems to get a little undercooked or they just take more time. So the question is easy: is continuous mixing an obstacle to cooking? I am eating a VERY hard risotto right now, pretty pissed and scared I'm gonna be sick
>>
>>7307600
you don't have to continuously mix for the whole cooking time when i make pasta, i'll stir it constantly for the first minute or so, then again every 2-3 minutes after. as long as you have enough water in the pot, it shouldn't stick or drop the temperature too much. constantly mixing can cause the temperature to drop, and if there isn't enough water food will be above the surface of the water, not cooking properly.

you won't get sick from undercooked rice or pasta but it'll take longer to digest which might make you feel bogged down by food being in your stomach too long.
>>
>>7307606
and i don't make risotto, but i'm pretty sure you're supposed to constantly mix that. you just didn't give it enough time or liquid to cook.
>>
>>7307606
You are right, I am not that strict when I cook pasta but I am when I cook rice. It's a bit autistic but I really hate to put force to remove sticked rice grains
>>
You probably just didn't add enough stock to your risotto. For pasta at a hard boil the trick is to use a large pot. If the pasta has room to move around it won't stick to the bottom.
>>
File: 056-5.jpg (45 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
056-5.jpg
45 KB, 700x525
>>7307600
>I am eating a VERY hard risotto right now

Did you just guess that it was done instead of tasting a bite of it?
>>
>>7307615
this. and also, i think when you are mixing all the time more water evaporates and terefore you rice stays hard. if you don't have enough water, even one more hour of heat won't turn your rice soft.
>>
File: 2014-03-04-risotto-101-step-8.jpg (104 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
2014-03-04-risotto-101-step-8.jpg
104 KB, 720x439
>>7307600
Next time try the smear test. It's quite retard-proof.
>>
>>7307615
It was taking way too long and seemed like it would never cook properly, so I got fed up and served it as it was.
>>
File: risotto.jpg (16 KB, 236x292) Image search: [Google]
risotto.jpg
16 KB, 236x292
>>
This is much less retarded than most posts here.

If your risotto is too hard then you've not cooked it for long enough and/or haven't used enough liquid. You're meant to stir risotto constantly so you're not doing anything else wrong there.

For pasta you want to get the water to a fast boil before you add the pasta. A fast boil means the water should be bubbling pretty violently, like a white man's intestines after trying authentic Indian street food for the first time. Once you've added the pasta keep the heat up relatively high for a minute or so while the water comes back up to temperature, stirring a couple of times, then turn the heat down to medium and let the pasta cook unattended. Stirring normal pasta excessively will turn it to mush.

For normal long-grain rice you're better off heating up 1tbsp oil in your saucepan first. Then add the rice and sautee (i.e. stir fry) it for a couple of minutes. Then add a measured amount of boiling water (for normal long-grain rice 1 cup rice:1.5 cups water is normally good), keep the heat on medium until that starts bubbling, then turn the heat down to its lowest setting, put a tight-fitting lid on the pan and fuck off for 15 minutes. Come back, turn the heat off and let it rest with the lid still on for a further 5 minutes.
>>
Why did you just decide to eat it uncooked if you were worried about becoming ill? Why didn't you just keep it cooking until it was done?
>>
>>7307663
I always leave pasta at a hard boil and it never sticks together or to the pan or becomes too soft. I also have a pretty small pan, like 2 liters and I cook for 2 people.
>>
>>7307600
add some olive oil to the water you're boiling it in and the shit wont stick together. No stirring req'd dowg.
>>
>>7307668
It just wasn't cooking. I couldn't stand there forever, and if I just threw it out all that time would have been a total waste, not to mention the money spent on the ingredients. I was also hungry.
>>
>>7307681

does this add calories?
>>
>>7307686
why are you talking like I am the OP? what kind of sick person decides to be an impostor and fake to be a retardedly bad cook? holy shit begone
>>
>>7307677
I think the only reason it's better to turn it down to a medium boil is that if you keep it at a fast boil it can bubble over and make a loud hissing noise on the stove which causes the cat to shit itself.

I actually cook most of my pasta through the absorption method now anyway (250g pasta = 600ml stock) because the starch leaches out of the pasta and turns the remaining stock into a sort of bootleg sauce. Makes pasta into a genuine 20-minute one-pot meal for those nights when you can't be arsed to cook properly.
>>
>>7307692
>impostor
>fake
>retardedly bad
Fucking hell. I'm just looking for a bit of advice, you asshole. Sorry I wasn't aware this 4chan board was for veteran gourmet chefs only.
>>
>>7307681
This is bullshit google it, oil and water don't mix all that oil just sits at the top. You've just wasted good olive oil.

Always salt your water and stir the first minute or so then stir once every couple minutes after.
>>
>>7307693
this.
one-pot pasta is best pasta.
to make it easy just put the pasta in the pan and fill up water until they are covered bring it to a boil and turn down heat. you would just have to watch it the last 3mins and check if there's still enough water
>>
>>7307659
Either you're super impatient or it wasn't hot enough.
>>
>>7308810
once I learned about one-pot pasta my life was changed forever

I know it was a hipster meme dish but god damn I got on that train and rode it all the way
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.