[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>non-European "wine"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 19
File: 1453592410510.jpg (95 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1453592410510.jpg
95 KB, 650x650
>non-European "wine"
>>
>non-Icelandic "hakarl"
>>
>non-australian bait
>>
>>7304134
>non /v/ shitposting.
Go fuck yourself Simon.
>>
>>7304134
>non-non-American "cheese"
>>
File: vomit.jpg (25 KB, 395x405) Image search: [Google]
vomit.jpg
25 KB, 395x405
>american "beer"
>>
>>7304134
>non-Southern "barbecue"
>>
File: rolleye.jpg (26 KB, 535x380) Image search: [Google]
rolleye.jpg
26 KB, 535x380
>>7304228
>anime
>>
>>7304134
>>7304228
Samefag
>>
File: nope.gif (430 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
430 KB, 160x160
non-Americans
>>
>>7304134
Ever heard of sonoma and napa valley, California?
>>
File: Italian_Swiss_Colony.jpg (365 KB, 1086x640) Image search: [Google]
Italian_Swiss_Colony.jpg
365 KB, 1086x640
To Chianti or not to Chianti, that is the question, Ophelia.
>>
There's a California champagne by Paul Masson. Inspired by that same French excellence. It's fermented in the bottle, and like the best French champagne it's vintage dated.
>>
>non-asian "culture"
>>
>>7304274
Ever heard of taking the bait?
>>
>>7304428
I know, Im a faggot

And it wasn't even gr8 b8 m8...
>>
File: photo_2015-12-31_15-03-29.jpg (40 KB, 454x1039) Image search: [Google]
photo_2015-12-31_15-03-29.jpg
40 KB, 454x1039
>>7304134
>european wine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirazi_wine

Soon it will come back. mark my words.
>>
File: god_bless_murrica.jpg (250 KB, 807x1009) Image search: [Google]
god_bless_murrica.jpg
250 KB, 807x1009
>>7304351
Most people in california actually think chianti and chablis are cheap sweet wines.

It's amazing how out of touch with reality they are out there just because truthful labeling is considered anti-competitive by certain crazy people, whether it's cheese, wine, or GMO food. I think a state that starts with "W" has a lot to do with it.
>>
File: hnnngh orgasm.jpg (211 KB, 579x1024) Image search: [Google]
hnnngh orgasm.jpg
211 KB, 579x1024
>>7304923
West Virginia?
>>
>>7304923
Wyoming?
>>
>>7304134
>non-Vehicular Homicide
>>
>>7304957
I laughed way to hard
>>
>>7304134
Who are you quoting
>>
>>7304134
every taste test that involves california vs italy... calfornia wins 100% of the time shitter look it up.
>>
> he lives somewhere outside of North America

I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>7305438
Europe is overrated in every single way except for the fact that the majority of their women aren't fat
>>
>>7305438
This guy knows

California is where the five star restaurants often get their ingredients. Everyone else still gets really good shit it's just not 1% status
>>
>>7304377
Merkel and Hollande will personally smash those bottles if they ever enter the EU
>>
File: chianti.png (235 KB, 317x682) Image search: [Google]
chianti.png
235 KB, 317x682
>>7304351
i love a nice chianti.
>>
>>7304134
Europe leave
>>
>>7305557
Phtgfthfthfthfhthffhth
>>
Frenchfag intimidated by Kiwi vineyards. O I am laffin m8
>>
>>7304134
>he doesn't serve pinotage with game
Non-hunting plebs will never know.
>>
>>7305438

99% of italian "wine" isn't fit for human consumption. it's made by idiots, and it's bought by idiots. no wine shop needs an italian wine section - it's a waste of space.

the only people you will find that insist they love italian wine are women who read romance novels set in italy. these people shouldn't be allowed to vote - they are mentally handicapped.
>>
>>7306576
you prolly meant american wine, right?
>>
>>7306698

americans and australians actually attempt to make wine that tastes decent or is so cheap it will sell in volume.

europeans will make wine that is objectively terrible and justify its continued existence because of "tradition" and "heritage". their godforsaken family has been manufacturing paint thinner exactly this way for hundreds of years, and so it will continue to do so, and they will charge a premium because of this amazing heritage.
>>
>>7306576
>>7306714
>butthurt Amerilard wondering why nobody outside of their shithole wants their shitty "wine"

Sorry Burt, nobody wants your sewage with food colouring, nobody ever says "I want a glass of American wine tonight". The same way you'll never hear someone go "honey, I want to eat American tonight!".
>>
File: 1445568934276.png (90 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1445568934276.png
90 KB, 500x501
>>7304134
>>
>>7306714
We make wine that appeals to the lowest common denominator so it will sell in volume. You don't sell anything in volume by producing a quality product. This is true of every facet of the economy.

As an Australian, I can also say we make red wine that is designed to be served too damn hot because "room temperature" here is frequently well above room temperature in Europe.

But I don't mind it. It's OK. Fills its niche.
>>
File: thats-why-i-dont-eat-lobster.png (174 KB, 500x299) Image search: [Google]
thats-why-i-dont-eat-lobster.png
174 KB, 500x299
>>7305438
Your average walmart shopping lardistani would pick a janitor bucket full of coca cola syrup from a broken vending machine that ran out of carbonated water over a bottle of gaja, I'm not sure what your point is. In fucktardistan, vegetables are "icky" and anything with a trace of tannin is "bitter and gross, and where's my ice?"
>>
>>7306867
Theres tons of fat people in the US, but do you really think the average person acts like one of the actors in reality tv?
>>
>>7306576
Dumb cunt.
I am uncultured Australian oaf and even I know that italian DOCG prosecco and sangiovese blends
are top tier, I would much rather drink them than anything from the Crapa Valley
>>
>>7306876
But they do
>>
>>7306876
I spent a year travelling across the USA and literally everyone I met was like that.
>>
>>7306892
In Europe, it's even worse.
>>
>>7306910
How can you tell? You can actually speak Arabic?
>>
>>7305446
You're telling us you think French Wine's overrated? Kek
>>
>>7306576
Italy makes lots of cheap crap but also some incredibly good ones lad
>>
>>7306934
/ck/ needs flags tbqh
>>
>>7306831
Lowest common denominator pretty much rules new world wine though.

People who don't drink much wine but who feel they need to have "the best" turn to numeric scores. In a numbers-based tasting competition the most overblown boozy oaky fruit bombs are the only ones that are going to stand out and win the highest scores.

This phenomenon explains why American """food""" is based on hot sauce made of vinegar and chemically extracted capsicum extract to gain the highest scoville units, beer that tastes like garbage piss but has the highest IBU within reach of modern science (science is so KEWL!!~~!~one holds up spork) and why people slavishly buy shitwine based on parker points because, since their mouths are broken from eating shitfood such as """pizza""" made of wisconsin cheese and ranch and tater tots and Dave's Insanity sauce

Remember kids, wine all tastes the same when someone else has something nicer, but MURRIKA #1 when reading about the judgment of paris on wikipedia for the 1000th time.
>>
>>7306988
I don't know why you used the word "though" in your first line. That's basically what I said.

Most Australians do understand this. The locally produced wines that we consider classy have overpowering tannins and very little else, which is another problem altogether. We probably do have some wine that really is world class, but I lack the funds to discover them.
>>
>>7306991
I said "though" because you kind of implied it was a uniquely Australian phenomenon.

Between a $10 hot house california wine, a $10 cute animal aussie wine, and a $10 cotes du rhone, I'll take the CDR every day for the rest of my life.
>>
>>7307002
>>7306991
Also just a little rant, I was at a party this weekend with an open bar and the only wine options were california. I should have just gotten liquor but it was too early in the evening and I was in the mood for wine. I got some """"pinot noir"""" from california that basically tasted like syrah soaked in wood ships.

Basically the entire state of california needs to be uprooted and replaced with almonds, at least they're good at that.
>>
>>7306988
So you're saying Americans have no sense or understanding of subtlety. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
>>
>>7306988
"""""""
>>7307012
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""please""""""""""""""""""stop"""""""
>>
>>7307023
""""no""""
>>
>>7307018
I disagree with that
>>
http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-the-great-french-wine-blight-changed-grapes-forever-1691598233
Interesting read. I coulda sworn I read somewhere that Euro wines got wiped out and needed American grape strains to survive, but I can't seem to find any sources that support it.

I like sangria. I accidentally made some from sparkling grape juice two years ago.
>>
>>7306988
You sure said a whole lot without saying anything
>>
>>7306576
I don't like the acidity I find in most Italian wines for casual sipping, but I think they go great with heavy foods and cheeses.

>>7304923
Most Californians wouldn't know they were from different countries or what either were made up of. Nor would they actually buy those wines since European wines are more expensive (shipping costs vs East Coast) than a Californian wine would be. I'd argue too that most Americans base their wine purchases price first and varietal second.

>>7306719
Then spend more money for better wine or stop drinking mass produced wines made with Mega Purple. There are hundreds to pick from, find a wine specialty store and ask them for cool a climate California Syrah or a Carneros Pinot Noir. Try shopping in specific AVA's and you should have better luck.

>>7306918
They aren't? Not even a bit? The French's biggest concern is making sure their vintage survives with enough juice to produce a quality enough wine and unless the vintage is fantastic (rare occurrence) the wines are good but not amazing. Don't get me wrong, I think Burgandy is a bit more interesting than Russian River for the most part, but they also have vastly different values/methods than American winemakers when it comes to climate, soil, viticulture, harvesting, and winemaking practices. French wines are far more expressive of their terroir and produce a more unique wine, but its quality is heavily dependent on the quality of the overall vintage whereas Californians usually have fantastic vintages but the wines lack character because their vines never have to struggle resulting in one dimensional fruit bombs like >>7306988 said but sell well to a large populace.
>>
COMMENT BREAK
Parker did a real number on the wine industry. There's no way you can taste 100+ wines in a sitting and still score accurately because by that point all you can taste are the biggest and most alcoholic fruit bombs. For anyone who doesn't really know, people started following Parker scores pretty heavily and took it it as an indication of quality rather than preference resulting in large sales for whatever wine he rated highly. I agree following Parker scores exclusively are dumb unless those are the kinds of wines you enjoy, it's a shame that most people don't have fun discovering new wines. However, I don't think it's because their palettes are wrecked, it's that they have no frame of reference for what their drinking and haven't bothered to try any other region more than a couple of times, or maybe they just don't like blends.

>>7307002
>>7307012
I never understand why people compare the entire state of California and the continent of Australia to one French AOC and think that's an accurate comparison unless they are specifically comparing it to a New World style Rhone blend. In your scenario I'd absolutely go with the CDR but in mine I'd have to consider the quality of the producer.

I am sorry the Pinot Noir was terrible, it probably did have Syrah in it, brands under Constellation, Kendall-Jackson, Gallo, Foley, Winegroup, Jean-Charles Boisset, (aka most of what you probably drink) have been pretty bastardized as pretty much anyone in the wine industry will tell you. Nor is it actually representative of California's winemaking ability.

>>7307018
I agree most don't, but it isn't terribly difficult to learn either.

>>7308054
It was Texan rootstock and the French had the idea to do it. I think Spain is really the only country that doesn't use grafted rootstocks.
>>
>>7308113
>Most Californians wouldn't know they were from different countries or what either were made up of. Nor would they actually buy those wines since European wines are more expensive (shipping costs vs East Coast) than a Californian wine would be. I'd argue too that most Americans base their wine purchases price first and varietal second.

I know an older person in california who habitually drinks $50-80 bottles from napa as his "everyday wines", and he won't flinch at $100+ wines for special occasions. To me that doesn't count as a price-sensitive consumer. To be fair he got started drinking napa wines in the 70s and 80s when I imagine they were quite a bit cheaper, he's just stuck with the same brands all this time when they went up in price. I suggested chablis to him once and he said something derisive to the effect that he wouldn't ever drink "that kind of wine" and that I shouldn't either.

I agree that someone who reads the price tag and ignores the label isn't going to be picky, but people who do read labels and pay attention to their drinking experience vs what the label said are rightfully very confused due to lack of laws controlling what companies are allowed to put on the outside of the bottle vs. what's actually on the inside.
>>
File: wine.jpg (185 KB, 720x549) Image search: [Google]
wine.jpg
185 KB, 720x549
I'm gonna buy some wine because the guy who makes it is in a band I really like.
>>
>>7308490
>a guy in a band I like had the money to hire a professional winemaker
Fixed that for you, it's not that uncommon and it's not always such a bad thing if the winemaker isn't completely shitty
>>
>>7308502

That's not what happened though.
>>
>>7308510
From the website
>In the early years at Keenan, he honed his winemaking skills “on the job,” under the leadership of his father Robert Keenan, and renowned winemaker Joe Cafaro. Today, he works in concert with the team to make the best vineyard and winemaking decisions, as well as helping to explore opportunities to engage with visitors in the Keenan tasting room. While Michael accepts the responsibility for making the final decisions for each aspect of the winery, he believes Keenan’s success can be attributed to the efforts of the winery’s talented staff.
No doubt he could make wine on his own, but "accepts responsibility for" means no more than that.
>>
>>7308542

You're looking at a totally different wine.
>>
I like New Zealand rieslings
[spoiler]I have not expanded my wine pallet. I'm only just getting into it.
>>
>>7308563
Germany is the only country on earth that should be allowed to grow Riesling. Note, Elsaß is part of Germany you silly Untermensch. Although Mosel-Saar-Ruwer is superior.
>>
>>7304377

> California Champagne

It might be bub but it aint champagne if it aint from Champagne you smell me?
>>
File: BottleShockPoster.jpg (1 MB, 800x1185) Image search: [Google]
BottleShockPoster.jpg
1 MB, 800x1185
>>
File: glomp.jpg (31 KB, 668x460) Image search: [Google]
glomp.jpg
31 KB, 668x460
>>7308563
>expanded my wine pallet
>>
>>7304151
meta
>>
>>7310339
That flick is mostly fantasy with a few parts based on things that actually happened

It's entertaining but a lot of people who know nothing about wine get really weird ideas because this and that other movie with the troll looking guy are their only exposure to what they mistake for "wine people culture"

Hence why napa wine is massively overpriced and why the california wine market is flooded with shit-tier pinot noir. People buy because of some shit they saw in a fictional movie, instead of using their mouths
>>
>>7312063
Paul Giamantti or something like that. The movie was titled Sideways
>>
File: image.jpg (377 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
377 KB, 1600x1200
>>7308563
wine 'pallet'
also you europoors better get used to the superior American wine and beer because before too long your whole dang continent will be under sharia law and there will be no breweries allowed
>>
>>7312111
>north fork of long island
>superior in any way, shape, or form
literally the only point of that AVA is to give bachelorettes a fun night of vomiting purple foam into the back of the limo

the only new york wine region that isn't completely embarrassing is finger lakes
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 478x361) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 478x361
>>7312127
>PALLET
>>
>>7312133
>he didn't acknowledge my overplayed joke
>must have gone over his head!
you want a pat on the head, you sad little child? I'm sorry your parents didn't give you enough attention growing up.
>>
>>7304134
>caring about wine in 2016
Do you also ride a fucking horse to work? How fucking outdated can you guys be?
>>
>>7312145
Let me guess, craft beer arrived in your podunk meth town in the last decade, and it's the first time your people have ever had access to a food or drink that wasn't completely devoid of enjoyable flavors?

There is room in the world for more than one drink, why don't you post your picture of that liquor store with aisle after aisle of cheap garbage.
>>
>>7312144
but u were commenting on the photo like it actually pertained to the discussion even tho the type of wine in the photo was obviously irelivant... :^\ y r u so upset over such a simple meaningless thing on a laotion lithography website?
>>
>>7304377
>California
>champagne
Pick one
>>
>Non-European wine, beer, cheese, chocolate, meat, bread, cuisine
>>
>not liking based Argentinian malbec
>>
>>7314057
Korbel is technically California Champagne. Robert Hunter can also technically call their wine Champagne, but I get the gist of what you're saying.
>>
>>7314114
>muh tannins
I used to like argie 'bec but it all tastes pretty much the same
Argies cannot into terroir
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.