[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCKING PERSIMMONS HOW DO THEY WORK
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: kaki.png (146 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
kaki.png
146 KB, 450x300
I just discoved this fruit and I'm in love. I planted a tree of them. Is it possible to eat them in large quantities without dieing or getting diabetes?
>>
They are mildly laxative due to tannin content
>>
>>7303701
They're expansive as fuck here so I'd go bankrupt before I got diabeetus.
>>
>Is it possible to eat them in large quantities without dieing or getting diabetes?

You are going to just shit out last week's meals if you do.
>>
>>7303721
expensive, I wish they were expansive
>>
Try them before they're fully ripe OP, it's so much better. Just a little hard, that's what you want.
>>
>>7303701
I forgot persimmons existed. They're pretty good though
>>
>>7303701
Persimmons are great, but they smell like semen.
>>
Persimmons have a small window of edibility, so they require you monitor their growth. This is why asian persimmons are easier to cultivate, as they have more obvious signs of ripening.
>>
>>7303701
I eat the shit out of these but I've never let them ripen. I like them crisp like a good apple
>>
Makes my mouth feel like it's made of suede
>>
>>7303762
Literally how.

>>7303882
>>7303734
this
>>
File: 6527[1].png (525 KB, 872x525) Image search: [Google]
6527[1].png
525 KB, 872x525
the pointy persimmons are fucking disgusting

fuyu persimmons are where it's at, the texture is much better
>>
My grandparents had a persimmon tree but I never really cared for them.
Wish I had tried making wine with them though, the tree was always fucking loaded down with those juicy little shits.
>>
Don't eat too many at once plenty of bowel obstruction cases I've dealt with at my work were caused by either persimmons or apples
>>
>>7304303
Those people need to learn food goes in their mouths.
>>
File: 117084.jpg (90 KB, 634x404) Image search: [Google]
117084.jpg
90 KB, 634x404
>>7304169
fruitfag checking in.

The pointy persimmons are referred to as "Hachiya persimmons."

If you eat them when they are 1 minute too underripe, they absorb all of the moisture in your mouth and leave a sort of metallic taste. No bueno.

Edible hachiyas require a ripeness that feels like a water balloon in your hand. They are dope then. The consistency is velvety, maybe a little stringy but it has a sweet cantaloupe flavor. I carefully cut the pointed end off horizontally, take a paring knife or smaller knife and cut into eighths. Don't eat the calyx(green stem.)

Because customers have no idea about fruit and it's peak of ripeness, every grower ships these rock hard and they make it to the store hard and are sold to consumers hard. And some customers buy they and they hate them because they are awful when under ripe.

At least in America, markets for "Exotic fruits"(and the persimmons were probably grown in the US) are ruined because no one bothers to educate the customers on such delicious things as a fully ripe Hachiya persimmon.

Fuyu persimmons are pretty good too but at least in my opinion their season is in mid to late fall and I never see sales on those. Again, no retailer marketing to develop sales of an overall pretty delicious fruit. When ripe, it has a firmer consistency, sort of like a pear.

The UC-Davis website has a ton of info about fruits, vegetables and other agricultural commodities.
>>
>>7305064
Also the fuyu has a sort of grainy texture like a pear. Hachiyas are smooth in my opinion.

fruitfag out
>>
>>7305064
I've worked in a produce section of a fairly large grocery store before. Hardly anyone buys persimmons or even asks about them. We get both Fuyu and Hachiya, and they move slow as molasses. It doesn't help that they're expensive either, so no one wants to try something they're not sure they'll like. And we can't sample them unless a customer specifically asks about them, since again, they're too expensive.

Also, ripe hachiya look gross, so no one wants to buy them when they're good enough to actually eat. The produce department is also told to toss anything that doesn't "look fresh" because we get points off when someone from corporate comes through to check on everything. We throw away a lot of fruits at peak ripeness. It's a little frustrating sometimes.
>>
My friend had a tree with those little fuckers on it. Every year they would all drop down and we would end up stepping on them and getting that shit all over the house. His parents ended up chopping the tree down. Never knew you could eat that shit.
>>
>>7303734
Eww no they're disgusting
>>
http://www.get-top-news.com/news-10806380.html
>>
>>7303721
Plant a tree.
They give a fuckton of them.
>>
My mom has a few trees of those, both kinds and my family loves them.

I cannot stomach them, especially the soft ones, I get nauseated just by looking at people eating them... I try them once in a while to see if I can stomach them, but no dice.

It's the only food that does this to me.
>>
>>7305116
If you get beat up for sampling something that is a required SKU to carry, yet you throw it out anyway...then there is something wrong with that model. You do not work at a food museum. If the store director, or head merchandiser or anyone above the store level agrees with that line of thinking then you are not working at the "best retail organization." If you don't learn something everyday from your products then you are failing OR your leadership is failing. You are the organization's best salesperson and it's sad that many retailers now don't recognize that.

Store associates/Team Members/whatever you call them are the best at the specialized sales pitch. "Oh have you tried persimmons before? Let me see if I can find one that is ripe...ok found one! let's try it." It's all about an experience for the fucking customer man. Keeps them coming back. Yeah do they think they are going to get something for free but WHY ARE THEY IN THE PRODUCE DEPARTMENT ANYWAY. Check out the cart, see what they are buying. Suggestive sale. That leads to cross-merchandising suggestions in the end.

Often I would stand there next to the customer(and especially a regular,) sample the same product and talk to them about the product they are sampling or what else is in their cart, what they are doing with it, etc. Regulars, especially lonely ones love that shit.

Anon--I know this is all above your pay grade but I was in your position once and I stuck it up the ass of every produce manager and they loved me in the end for it because of added GP on bullshit that was BUDGETED to shrink out.

Tips for life bro. Get aggressive. Learn it now, apply it for later. And get more aggressive.

>>7305116
>>
you probs won't get diabeetus because fructose doesn't elevate blood sugar

might screw up your liver tho
>>
I've only had two persimmons, ever (I have a persimmon tree), but both sucked.

The taste was fine, I guess, and the texture wasn't bad, but the fruit themselves made my mouth go numb for several minutes after I ate them. Everyone else in this thread seems to have no issue with that, at least.

Am I just allergic or something?
>>
>>7309247

>this food sucks!

>i mean, everyone says it tastes so good, and it does

>i mean it just keeps giving me what any sane person would interpret as an allergic reaction because it seems that nobody else who eats this food experiences the same odd sensation

>they still suck tho
>>
>>7309247
Yes...because you ate it when it was underripe. I mentioned a metallic taste in an earlier post and that metallic taste leads to the numbness.

I totally forgot to mention that.

Also Fruitfag checking back in

That's awesome that you have a persimmon tree! Try them again. Put them in a warm space in your home with sunlight(if possible) and try them again.
>>
>>7309247
no, they just weren't ripe, yet. they should be almost to a jelly consistency before you eat them. the hachiya ones, anyway.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.