[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dredge beef before browning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Brown-the-beef.jpg (3 MB, 3067x2430) Image search: [Google]
Brown-the-beef.jpg
3 MB, 3067x2430
There's a thread up that talks about beef shin, and two anons are talking about whether you dredge beef in flour before browning it. One says you want beef fond to build, so you don'r brown with flour on the beef.

I thought that too, from an old Cook's I read.

I found this:
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/flouring-meat/

Pic not really related. Non stick pan? Come on...
>>
Doesnt really matter either way if you are slow cooking for hours, but autists will argue either way as the "right way".
I like dredging because to me it gives a richer flavour, I experimented because I wanted to see the difference. One big bonus with dredging is for one pot wonders it adds to the streamlined and time saving aspect of it.
Try both ways and see which you prefer.
>>
>>7301742
Thanks for the reply.

Dredging first would mean no beef fond buildup, which would lead me to believe that it would have a less rich flavor. Seems like cooks everywhere agree that browning meat first gives a deeper flavor. What do you think the richness came from in your recipe?
>>
>>7301747
My theory has been that the flour browns and develops a bit of cajun roux character.
I use plenty of oil and light flower, as the meat brown the flour first goes transparent and the oil penetrates to the meat anyway and would probably caremalise the meats sugars.
dont know, just wild theories.
>>
>>7301795
I can dig that. A dark roux adds its own flavor, I just don't think it would be beefy. And if the meat can still get some of that Maillard action going on, then maybe it doesn't matter.
>>
>>7301804
I think with a heavy dish such as osso bucco or rabo de toro where you slow cook fatty and marrow laden chunks in acidic stuff like tomato or wine or brandy etc for hours the difference would be neglible
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.