[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Duck Breast a l'Orange
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: johnsducklorange.jpg (43 KB, 815x437) Image search: [Google]
johnsducklorange.jpg
43 KB, 815x437
Dear /ck/,

On Sunday I'll be cooking Chef John's Duck Breast a l' Orange (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ua-qSqHMg) for my family.
Since each breast is big enough for a good meal, I was thinking to toast some bread and spread some butter with garlic over it and/or offer mango bites as a side which, I have no idea how to prepare them yet. However, I'd like to know what would you use as a side.
Also, I was thinking to document the steps and take pictures to show /ck/.

Caring to share your ideas?

tl;dr need idea to side with duck
>>
Herb roasted fingerling potatoes
>>
>mango bites as a side

Sounds like a terrible idea.

>thinking to document the steps and take pictures to show /ck/

Always a good idea.

If you're making a classic dish for the first time why not make some of the sides it might traditionally be served with, such as tourne potatoes cooked in butter with parsley, salt and pepper, and maybe candied carrots. Keep it simple.
>>
>>7297298
>Sounds like a terrible idea.

How so? Sweet fruit makes a great (and classic) combination for rich duck.
>>
>>7297298
this tbqh. French dish, French Sides. Mango is going to be too sweet and clash with the orange sauce.
>>
>>7297302
>duck a l'orange
>add another fruit as a side
>why is this bad

Cause it isn't a fucking fruit salad with added poultry.
>>
>>7297278
https://youtu.be/13EWKZJ-5x4

best evar duck sauce. also candied tamarind and asian pear
>>
>>7297298
>>7297353
>>7297302
>>7297412
I'll consider the potatoes as a side since that's for sure it will be a hit.

The idea came exploring The Flavor Bible (ISBN-13: 9780316118408) as it said mango is compatible with duck but it didn't say anything about the orange so that might be a reason to keep it experimental and taste it aside of the official lunch.

>>7297469
I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
if you are to prepare some duck breast use some duck grease instead of butter.
>>
>>7297412
True
>>
File: duckbreast.jpg (62 KB, 852x640) Image search: [Google]
duckbreast.jpg
62 KB, 852x640
>>7297622
I don't think I can get duck fat that easily. I even had to preorder the breasts to my local poultry butcher.

Also, picture of one of the pieces.
>>
>>7297684
You see that white skin in the picture ?
That's the fat, it will melt and you'll have a bunch of it.
>>
>>7297955
I know but I though you were talking about rendered fat, as chef John uses.
>>
Make sure you cook it long enough on the skin side to render all that fat. You don't want to treat it like a steak, so don't cook it on high heat. The skin side can take longer cooking times because all that fat insulates the actual breast.

Also next time you should consider getting whole duck. Each part of the duck can be used and it's really fun to make each part. Duck pate, duck risotto, duck confit, and also whatever you want to do with the breast.
>>
>>7298199
I've never cooked duck before so I'll see how it turns! As I said early, I'll take pictures and show it here. You'll be welcome to attend the new thread!
Thanks for your suggestions and tips.
>>
>>7299725
Score, start with cold pan -> mid hi, and keep taking the melted grease away because too much of it will make your duck burn. Like that you can use the grease straight to cook the potatoes in another pan so they will be ready around the same time (slice thin enough).

Proper canard à l'orange is more difficult than you'd expect, so for the first time maybe just pair it with peaches or something else more straightforward.

>>7297622
If this guy is referring that you should put grease on the pan while preparing the breast, you shouldn't.
>>
>>7297278
>>7299867
Yes, the video is not showing the correct method to make the sauce. You should make a gastrique sauce and use veal stock instead of chicken, he is making it more simple but it will not taste the same.
>>
Serve it with a radicchio and hazelnut salad
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.