[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beef Shin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Shin_of_beef-500x500.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Shin_of_beef-500x500.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
I have acquired some beef shin.
What delicious food can I make out of it?
>>
Do a pot roast and let the delicious marrow melt into the vegetables you set into the dish with it.
>>
>>7295521
Welcome to a bigger world OP. The shank, or "shine", is one of the most delicious cuts on the animal. I am so fucking over steak. Give me a good stew or braised dish to go with this cold weather.
>>
>>7295521
Look up italian osso bucco recipe.
but basically you dust with flower and fry them off.
in a duth oven brown garlic and onion, then fry off diced tomato and a bottle of wine, chuck in shins and bayleaves, maybe oregano, add some good passata and chuck in the overn for about 3 hours, season and serve with a buttery polenta and a chianti
>>
>>7295913
You need veal for that senpai
>>
>>7295920
Technically, but many places sell the cut from adult animals as osso bucco and it's not that much worse.
>>
>>7295920
Fuck off nigger
>>
File: IMG_5204.jpg (63 KB, 540x443) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5204.jpg
63 KB, 540x443
>>7295521
Chef John has a good stew recipe with beef shank and barley. Very easy to make.

Picture very related.
>>
>>7295913
http://youtu.be/4cXfK68_ZPA
>>
>>7295929

it;'s actually better imo
>>
>>7295913
Exactly this.
Damnit, I'll have to go look for some shanks too now. It's so good.
>>
>>7295947
Haha thats fucking perfect
>>
>>7295538
This.
Put the shank into a stock pot.
Add water, keeping track of how much it takes to cover the shank and jotting it down.
Drain and dry the shank and set aside.
In a metal, non-coated (neither by non-stick nor enamel) pan, make a dark roux using 2tbsp each fat and flour per cup of water it took to cover the shank.
Off the heat and compound the roux with fresh-ground pepper, minced onion and a little bit of celery seed powder and set aside.
Sear the shank and put into the stock pot.
Warm a measure of beef stock equal to that of the water it took to cover the shank, using a little of it to deglaze the pan, scraping up the fond the shank left in it; pour the warmed stock and the deglazing stock into the stock pot and set to high heat.
Mix in the roux, whisking strongly until it's dissolved.
When the gravy begins to bubble, lower the heat to the lowest possible setting while still maintaining just a few bubbles coming up every now and again.
>alternately, you can use a slow cooker instead of a stock pot and your hob or use an ovular lidded cassserole and your oven
Let the shank cook at this low heat for several hours until it's quite soft then remove.
Add some blanched/parboiled veg and up the heat to cook them through, then serve the gravy, the veg and the shank.

Another good thing to make with shank is this Hungarian classic I love, shank in vadas sauce. The sauce is based on carrots. If interested, ask for recipe.
>>
>>7296079
Pls to share your carrot recipe?
>>
>>7295572
I'm with you. Kinda. But, for 8 months out of the year, beef shin meat is my favorite.
>>7295913
Never brown with flour. You can add flour at a later stage. You want beef to brown on the pan, not the flour.
>>7295521
OP, I cook a lot of these. ASsuming you have pc related (cross-cut), I brown them as is. No cutting needed. You get all the little medallions once it's done cooking. I have no recipe to give you, although the last best thing I did was Peposa.
>>
>>7296136
Sure.
It's usually made with tongue or brisket but as deboned shin is used too, I'm sure shank would be fine.

Sear the meat in oil then remove.
>at this point, most recipes traditionally whisk sugar into the oil to make a caramel, but I find that carrots, parsnsips, celeriac and onions are already plenty sweet and don't need added sugar, so I don't do this step
Add 2× more cut-up carrot than parsnip and/or celeriac to the oil and sauté a bit, then add starch or flour and stir it through. If using flour, be sure it's well mixed into the oil and isn't clumping.
Add veg stock made with carrot, onion, parsnip and celeriac as well as the vegetables used to make it themselves.
Once it comes to a simmer, re-add the meat and allow to slow cook a while until tender.
Mix together some milk or cream, soured cream, prepared mustard, tomato paste, veg or beef stock and starch, until smooth and set aside to marry.
Remove the now-tender meat and blitz the veg and everything until smooth.
Up the heat to high and allow to reduce to just beyond desired thickness then add the soured cream mixture.
Allow to reduce a bit further, if necessary, then off the heat, salt to taste and add a squeeze of a lemon or two.
Serve over the meat and top with a smattering soured cream and chopped dill and/or parsley.
Goes nicely with dough dumplings (basically a loaf of bread that's poached or steamed until cooked through rather than baked) or bread balls (what Yehudim call "matzoh balls," basically stuffing mix mixed with egg, rolled into balls and poached until cooked through; the only difference is that Jews use cracker crumbs while other central Europeans use bread cubes or bread crumbs).

Leftover sauce can be mixed with veg stock to make this Hungarian bisque-like soup/stew-thing (főzelék, specifically vadasfőzelék in this case). Unlike typical bisques, főzelék is never eaten on its own. Add other things to it to make it a meal (pasta/veg/meat),
>>
File: 3749325847264.png (844 KB, 553x753) Image search: [Google]
3749325847264.png
844 KB, 553x753
>>7296316
:) thanks. Do you think it'd be better in terms of taste to use beef broth, or the remaining vegetable broth? I don't have much of a palate yet, so I don't think I'd really get much out of experimenting on my own... it doesn't seem to make too too much of a difference though considering all the factors
>>
>>7295521
scallopini

I've got a recipie if you need it.
>>
>>7295913
You said this was italian, then tell me to use a Dutch oven, that doesn't sound authentic.
>>
>>7296196
>never brown with flour
I bet you also add a pinch of salt to your pancake batter?
>>
>>7297113
Actually, I do. More than a pinch, really. But those two things do not relate.

But seriously, don't brown your flour. Brown your meat.
>>
>>7295521
Ahhhhh, one of my most favorite things.
I like to braise them in red wine and beef stock, with a spoonful of tomato paste thrown in, as well as onions, garlic, fresh thyme, and black pepper. Then, to serve, I like to spoon the braised meat and resulting glorious sauce over whipped potatoes (not regular mashed potatoes, because you don't need as much dairy added since they are forming a base for your meat and sauce), along with either some sauteed broccolini or broccoli rabe or salad, and some good bread to spread the marrow on with a sprinkling of flake salt and a grind of pepper.
Such a satisfying meal.
>>
>>7297153
You have no idea what you are talking about
Keep enjoying your salty pancakes
>>
>>7297246
As far as dredging meat in flour before you brown it in a pan, I do know. You want to develop fond from browned meat, not flour. When you deglaze the pan, you are not building flavor, you are building gravy. Like a brown roux.

As far as pancakes, I don;t really know what I'm talking about. I follow teh Joy of Cooking recipe for pancakes which calls for salt. Since I use kosher salt, I have to adjust the recipe, and I adjust to give me slightly more slat, cuz i like the taste. I fry them in butter, but it's unsalted, so I kind of miss it.

I have oversalted the pancakes before.
>>
>>7297506
>I do things my way and if any does if differently they are wrong
>>
>>7295521
OSSOBUCO
S
S
O
B
U
C
O
>>
>>7297930
Silly cook. Obviously it comes across as this is my way and it's the only way. But there are some things that are inarguable. They are science. You can't build a fond in your pan if your beef isn;t making contact with the pan.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.