[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Native American Cuisine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (40 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
40 KB, 480x320
Reading about Francis Mallman made me wonder about what different tribes of Native Americans ate?

Here's what I've found from some cursory research, and I'm wondering what else /ck/ might know:

>"Three Sisters" - maize, beans and squash
>Frybread
>Wild game, fish
>Wild leeks, ginger, juniper

Anyone ever eat at a Native American home? A reservation?
>>
Deer, moose, deer jerky, rabbit stew, bannock. Otherwise the culture got raped out of us a generation ago. But I'm a city prick so you'd better wait for a rez native to reply.
>>
Heart of your enemy Po'boys
>>
>>7295450
Indians ate bark. I tried to make a thread about it a long time ago. No one bit. But they did eat tree bark. I don't see why modern people can't learn to safely harvest and prepare bark.

Indians also regularly used fasting in the winter season to save food/ Personally I fast one day a week.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/22597/tree-bark-eating-beginners

I had several sources detailing harvesting and preparation but I'm too lazy to find them now. Just google "eating bark"
>>
Wild rice, bear, weirder stuff from before maize migrated north (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Agricultural_Complex)
>>
Listerine and fillet of white man.
>>
Mostly booze, I think.

But seriously, it depends on which region. But for the most part, they relied really heavily on animal products. And they didn't have that many preservation methods. Any preserved native food was probably really gross, although the freshly cooked stuff was probably pretty nice. A lot of it was cooked in animal fat, and particularly loved pork fat. Which covers a multitude of sins.
>>
firewater and some dank ass peace pipe
>>
>>7295570
>But for the most part, they relied really heavily on animal products
Nah, Most were farmers actually, with some fishing and a few being subsistence hunters. Most hunting was a seasonal thing, or "luck" based; if you managed to get some meat you ate like kings for a while and had that meat with your staples like beans, wild rice, corn, nuts, berries, and squash. Otherwise, you ate all that stuff sans the meat. Fishing tribes on the coasts had more meat protein in their diets than inland farmers typically did, and the plains tribes that were heavy into hunting still farmed a bit to make ends "meat".

It was nice having a teacher in high school that was into this shit. I can only think of a few areas where the natives actually ONLY farmed, or mostly farmed; there were about as many of them as there were "pure" hunters I'd wager.
>>
Long pork from non indigenous game
>>
mexican food is native american
>>
Salmon jerky, fucking amazing.
When I was young my friends family took me fishing up north, they caught salmon and made jerky over night. Literally the best thing I've ever eaten.
Also, they'd make "Indian ice cream", I'm not exactly sure what it is, it's sure as shit not ice cream, I think it has salmon roe in it. Anyway it's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>7295605
This stuff!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_ice_cream_(Canada)
Do not try this!
>>
>>7295605
>salmon jerky
I was thinking of trying this, and the midwesterner in me automatically craved putting it on an everything bagel with a schmear, but I wasn't sure how good it would be. Love lox though so I guess I'd like it. I'll grab some next time I see it available.
>>
>>7295630
>the midwesterner in me automatically craved putting it on an everything bagel with a schmear
don't you mean "jew yorker in me?"
>>
>>7295634
If I had ever lived in Jew York then yes, I would mean that. We flyovers like our bagels and schmears too.
>>
>>7295630
lox isnt jerky. i hope you die in a fire midwestern trash
>>
>>7295630
Its posibe, chefsteps have a nice salmon katsobishi recipe online, not quite jerky but a good place to start, i know the natives did it, i just have no idea how.

Pemmican is native american, there was an entire industry that sprung up around its manufacture during the 17-1800s.

Wild rice, cat tails, acorn flour, native walnuts, all sorts of fish and game, i mean op poses a pretty big question and its kind of a can or worms, the people up north didnt have the same diet as the people in the plains or the forests, their diets were kind of defined by what was around them.

Cornmeal mush or mash was a pretty big part of the diet in certain groups of indigenous peoples, all sorts of flatbreads, i think i remember reading something about fruit leathers and dried fruit.
>>
>>7295651
He never said it was, nice reading comprehension bro.
>>
>>7295450
Fry bread was a poverty food for a few specific tribes until the Native Pride movement, when it became a pride/comfort food.

Native American cuisine differed from tribe to tribe and region to region. There's no one cuisine. Apaches weren't eating Maine lobsters.

Aside from cracking open books on wild forage foods, Native Americans invented agriculture in a few different places. Trouble was not all available wild food domesticated equally.

Little barley was still a tough little shit compared to the barley we had in Europe (different species), erect knotweed and maygrass had problems with being allergens, etc, so when corn reach eastern north America these stopped being grown.

Other plants tasted just fine but still had problems. Look up prairie turnip. Topeka is named after them ("place where the turnips grow" in one of the Plains languages). Problem is it has a hard outer "shell" that has to be cracked.

Mostly we still have the domesticated plants that were popular with the natives when we landed. They're just so familiar you wouldn't think of them as "native."
>>
Lived pretty close to a rez and my cousin is half Black foot we are best friends. We would go to powwows they are real things. Ate allot of fried bread pretty gud ate allot of corn deer potatos fish what ever was caught on the rivers of idaho and yea that was it I wouldn't say all native Americans ate bark did smoke sage and the like
>>
>>7295450

In the Southwest they're pretty fond of sage-rubbed turkey

Most Mexican food has strong indigenous roots

east coast Indians ate opossum a lot (apparently it's delicious)
>>
>>7295665
Oh shit I forgot about pemmican, nice call anon. I'll take a look at chefsteps too, thanks.

>>7295651
>the idiocy is real
>>
>>7295678
Also tons of booze usually the cheapest we could get are hands on. It was a common sight to see the wineos drunk and laying around the area right off the rez or just sleeping against the local gas station
>>
>>7295684
Lets see if i can get this video like here without it getting rejected...

Its a video of this old native american dude making pemmican, pretty based, gotta kek at the dudes fat wife just fuckin chillin, i mean everyone is chillin. I like the fact he actually has some kind of quality control, like he gives a shit about the end product.

http://youtu.be/oHkl8i97Mq0
>>
>>7295744
Looks like the old man dose not get to eat allot of it ......
>>
>>7295744
>that baby just swingin' in the background
top kek
>>
Why the lady's so fat but he is so skiny
>>
I grew up on the Cherokee rez in north Carolina. frybread, bean bread, game meat. It's really poor there, like REALLY poor. 85% obesity rates, and high drug problems. So they eat what most stupid fat people eat.
>>
>>7295755

it's like suet cake, it's a ton of calories so you don't need to eat a lot.
>>
>>7295791

sounds like the rest of Appalachia
>>
>>7295665
Well when I went up north, they caught the salmon. Gutted and cleaned it and what not. Cut it in half? Hung it over a fire that was very smoky, small flames. It smoked over night I think. By the next day it was blackened and dried, it was absolutely delicious.
>>
>>7295897
Yeah i figured it would be something like that, small fire for a little heat and smoke to keep away bugs+ time is a pretty solid start for any primitive jerky making.

I know there are a lot of cultures that dry fish to make jerky, but whenever i think of "jerky" i think "meat from something that has fur and more than 3 legs".

Now i think about it more i have a feeling ive seen some period paintings or drawings involving huge a frame rack structures and loads of fish suspended on them, might have to pick up a side of salmon and have a play around.
>>
>>7295605
>>7295611
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akutaq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_ice_cream_%28Alaska%29

It's just berries and sugar whipped up with animal fat instead of milk fat.
>>
>>7295954
>don't have sugar, sitting next to creek on a rock
>don't have fat
>use fish eggs instead

icecream!
>>
>>7295988
>berries or sweeteners such as roots of Indian potato or wild carrot
>whitefish, Reindeer tallow, moose tallow, walrus tallow, caribou tallow, or seal oil
>blended with moose fat in a birch bark container until the mixture was light and fluffy.

That's sugar and fat right there ya dingus.
>>
As a white guy who stuck his dick in a lot of native girls. This has always interested me. most of the people I talked to about it name the basic stuff Fry bread, Navajo tacos, shitty processed food. wild game meat, the Three Sisters. But yeah, I wish the spanish at least tried to preserve some of the knowledge these people had.
>>
>>7295744
that camp site is a disaster, those people are trash
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.