[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brussel sprouts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: kale.jpg (113 KB, 1000x687) Image search: [Google]
kale.jpg
113 KB, 1000x687
How does anyone make this shit tasty? It just takes like dirt to me.

Picture unrelated, unless one of you guys knows how to make kale tasty as well.
>>
>>7295157
if you trim, cut them in half, then fry in bacon fat they're bretty good. Same with kale in sausage broth.

The secret is pork fat.
>>
I don't like the curly leaf as much, I use the tuscan kale. but here's how I make it, that's tasty.

>sautee some sliced onions in olive oil until soft
>add minced garlic, cook 'till fragrant
>add sliced smoked sausage
>add chopped kale (deveined), pepper flakes, salt, black pepper to taste
>cook, stiring until kale is reduced and cooked
>serve with a spoonfull of sour cream

tasty.
>>
>>7295157
Buy not shit, fresh brussel sprouts. Trim the bottoms. I like to halve or quarter depending on the size, then sautee in a bit of butter until tender.

Never understood why people dislike them. Tastes kinda like cabbage to me
>>
File: index.png (3 KB, 151x125) Image search: [Google]
index.png
3 KB, 151x125
tahini dressing
>>
add a sprinkle of salt and soy SAUCE
>>
>>7295157
I make salads with kale pretty regularly. I just tear the leaves away from the stems and then tear those again into smaller pieces. They do alright in a Caesar or mixed in with cabbage and some kind of asian soy dressing.

I also throw that stuff in if I'm making Italian wedding soup, or if I feel like making potato soup with sausage.
>>
Cook them with bacon and add a splash of white vinegar.
>>
>>7295157
Slice brussel sprouts in half and cook at med-high heat in a cast iron pan with butter. Cook until nice sear and a bit or caramelization. Add some salt and pepper and eat. Fucking delicious.
>>
>>7295157
Just cover it in brown sugar and butter and pretend you're at Dunkin doughnuts
>>
>>7295157
I've noticed that you need to get them as fresh as you can (but not on-the-vine fresh because they're never ready) and just roast them with some alliums for a bit and they'll work.

Thing is you can overdo them or underdo them because of their cruciferous nature...that, and they contain a lot of stinky sulfur compounds.
>>
>>7295181
the secret ingredient to making anything bomb is pork fat. i love brussel sprouts and bacon
>>
Uchi (one of the best restaurants in Houston) has the best ones I've ever had in my life. My friend who used to be a chef their explained to me exactly what they do to make them.

It's a lot. An incredible amount of prep work goes into that one dish. It took him like 5 minutes to explain.

Don't remember though, sadly.
>>
>>7295880
How long ago was this? I had my doubts that any brussel sprouts could take so much prep, so looked up the restaurant to read their menu and couldn't find anything with brussel sprouts in it.
>>
>>7295880
Vegetables are best prepared simply. There really couldn't have been much to do. Either he ended up hiding the taste with sauces or didn't actually do that much.
>>
File: boerenkool.jpg (61 KB, 445x297) Image search: [Google]
boerenkool.jpg
61 KB, 445x297
This is what you do with kale
>>
>>7296053
This, or just stir fry with garlic/oyster sauce.
>>
Cheesy, brussel-sprouts fried rice is nice.
I only make it with leftover rice because I always have leftover rice.
Chop an onion.
Fry in butter until slightly translucent.
Add blanched sprouts (or frozen), cut into halves (or quarters for large ones) and sauté a bit.
Add a tad of stock (or cheat and use milk and a bit of stock powder/stock cube) and day-old cooked rice.
Toss about until the liquid is evaporated and absorbed into the rice, then off the heat and add a few handfuls of shredded cheese.
Toss about a bit, then plate up.

Also works nicely with broccoli and kale.

As for a kale-specific recipe,
Fry thinly sliced onion, minced garlic, minced chilli, chopped up blanched kale and cooked beans of your choice in olive oil, adding a little water at a time until the onion is softened and caramelised.
Top off with stock and let cook until reduced almost out and the beans have released enough of their starch to make the soup opaque.
Top off with more stock (or water if you used stock cube/powder) and adjust salt to taste if/as necessary then serve.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.