[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sharpening stones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: dmt-dia-sharp-fine-coarse-d6fc.jpg (34 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
dmt-dia-sharp-fine-coarse-d6fc.jpg
34 KB, 1366x768
I've been making do with a grandpappy Arkansas stone and a piece of scrap leather loaded with green paste, my sharpening skills have progressed to the point where I can hone an edge way, way beyond shaving sharp, and I feel it's time for an upgrade.

Unless I hear some more arguments to the contrary, I think I'm going to go with a set of DMT diamond stones rather than the Japanese whetstones I've always coveted. Reasons being:
+ They won't dish and they will always be guaranteed flat
+ They won't create a messy looking slurry every time you use them
+ They will probably last longer(?) while waterstones are essentially a consumable
+ They cut faster(? according to some)
+ Lower cost
- The finish isn't as nice

Now, before I spend $200 on course-fine-extrafine set and end up wanting Shaptons instead, do you have any points, objections, wisdom, etc to share?
>>
the only to move past ultra fine (<.25u) in grit is with polishing compunds, Japanese stone only officially go to 9000 and all the 12-13-14-15-20K stones you see are essentially variations on 9K grit being made harder or softer or what have you

Hard black arkansas and green paste are more than the equal to this and to diamond hones, so you're already there me bucko.

you need to move to diamond paste and similar abrasives and if you have the dosh, get a watercooled lapwheel polisher, that is the only thing to get you to the ultimate polish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYWnPXvxuS8
>>
>>7295085
I've seen that thing on youtube before, and first off I enjoy sharpening so I'd rather get stones.

Plus there's no way that gizmo can create an edge better than I can do by hand. Also hollow grinds are for chumps.
>>
>>7295101

I hear you. but it's a tool, you can do any kind of edge you want on it, Moran, flat, hollow. It's just a faster better way of sharpening.

Anyway if it were me I'd be looking to improve my system at your level rather than gear per se. Buy the diamonds hones if you're bored with the stone and strop but don't expect improved outcomes except through your technique.
>>
>>7295134
I don't see how it can. A wheel, with its round surface, logically can only carve out a concave chunk out of the steel.

I'm sure it's a fine system though. If I were some sort of professional who needed to batch out sharp tools fast I would consider a machine.
>>
My local chinese supermarket has some water stones (at least I think so) for around €10.

They are 100% labelled in chinese (no numbers that could be their grit), and are two sided. one side feels about the same as the stone I already have, and one side feels finer.

Should I just get it, and see what I can do, or will I definitely waste those €10?
>>
>>7296149
For that cheap you might as well get them. Better than nothing.

I got my Arkansas stones for that price (converted to USD), and they made my knives razor sharp. It's a night and day difference compared to those pull through things.
>>
>>7295066
I bought a pretty basic sharpening stone with three grits and an oil reservoir. It works great and only cost like $30.

If you think you need a $200 set of fedora stones, then go for it. It's your money.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.