[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the essential spices every kitchen should have? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 500x332
What are the essential spices every kitchen should have? I don't know shit about cooking.
>>
only buy spices when you need them.

i guess some staples would be

Italian seasoning
Montreal steak
Mrs. Dash lemon pepper
Tony's
5-12 types of pepper sauce
generic Mexican chili powder (Cayenne with
cumin)
generic curry powder

shit like paprika and saffron don't taste like anything and are just for color, save yourself the effort and skip them.
>>
>>7294782
cumin, coriander, oregano, black pepper, spicy chili powder/flakes, mustard seed, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, cardamom

it's all preference though, there are some spices that i just don't find that appetizing and i never bought them again after running out. it's still good to try as much as you can.
>>
Bare minimum: Fresh cracked pepper, salt (I use exclusively course salts in a grinder but that's cuz I don't use a lot of salt so regular table salt is probably fine), garlic powder, cumin, and then probably an italian herb mix is the best to round it out.

Next: paprika, cayenne, red pepper flakes, basil, dill, curry, rosemary, thyme, parsley

And then things like ginger, turmeric, saffron, bay leaves, nice blends and whatever strikes your fancy.

And always use good olive oil.
>>
>>7294817
this is pretty solid
also about olive oil, do your research OP, a lot of brands use false "extra virgin" advertising
>>
File: 1270870561379s.jpg (2 KB, 123x127) Image search: [Google]
1270870561379s.jpg
2 KB, 123x127
>>7294803
If you can't taste any variety paprika you could be taste-blind, anon.
>>
>>7294782
Italian seasoning
Garlic Pepper
Lawrys Garlic salt
Lawrys seasoned salt (for meats)
Paprika adds smoky flavor fuck that one nigga >>7194803
in fact a damn good burger can be seasoned with lawrys seasoned salt, garlic pepper, and paprika.
Cayenne pepper
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
It really depends on what cuisine you cook or favor most.
>>
NECESSARY TIER: Black pepper, salt, garlic powder, parsley

USE THESE A BUNCH TIER: Thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, dill, cumin, cilantro, cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric, lemon pepper, chili powder

SWEET/BAKING TIER: Allspice, cinnamon, cloves

Complement with major spices from whatever weird-ass cuisines you like; e.g. keep sesame and bonito flakes around if you're a weeb, stock up on curry powder and garam masala if you can't poo in loo, etc.
>>
>>7294876
I can't type lmao
Also the next time you make french toast add a tsp of nutmeg to your dry goods and that shit will taste like Christmas.
>>
>>7294889

>cinnamon
>sweet
>>
I once got this spiced rice dish at a nice indian restaurant. it was a heavily spice that was kind of pinkish-orange and had a bitter, floral flavor overpowering the dish.

Anyone know wtf it was? never tasted anything like it
>>
>>7294939
Tumeric?
>>
>>7294911

To be used in sweet things and baking, not being sweet itself.
>>
>>7294961
It is used in a lot of savoury dishes as well. It doesn't have to be paired with sugar.
>>
>>7294782
... Are you perhaps suggesting that you would like to become a spice master?
>>
What the hell is wrong with you people recommending premixed seasonings like italian season, montreal, and garlicsalt?

You do know those are just normal herbs and spices premixed for you at a retarded premium right?
>>
>>7294782
Salt
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes
Cumin
Paprika
Chili powder
Cloves
Bay leaf
Cinnamon
Caraway seed
Celery seed
Oregano
Rosemary
>>
>>7295011
I bet you pronounce the H in herbs.
>>
>>7295011
Garlic salt I agree with you on. Garlic powder is superior anyway. Premixed blends are great for new cooks. They're easy and a good way to learn how things compliment eachother. I'm not a fan of flavouring blends like the McCormick crap that just smashes shit into a bottle so it instantly tastes like something else. But nice herb blends are wonderful and you have to be a pretentious moron not to buy some great blends just on principle.
>>
>>7294782
Listen carefully because this is very important advice. Lots of people think cooking is all about complicated recipes, big cookbooks and arduous effort. Really it's more of an innate thing.

Learning to cook is much more simple, so pay close attention to what I'm going to say. Are you listening?

Fry an egg and experiment with various seasoning. This will give you an idea of what flavours go well together which is the most important quality in cooking. Fry an egg, cut it in quarter, season each quarter differently. Try one with cayenne and, I dunno, chives? Just experiment with lots of seasoning combinations.

Then fry another egg and repeat the process. Keep frying eggs and experimenting until you get a good idea of what works. You can eat 3-4 eggs in a day, heck you're from /fit/ so probably 6+. If you eat 6 eggs in a day, that's 24 egg quarters, 24 seasoning combinations in a day. You're talkng about 1000 seasoning combinations in just over a month.

At this stage you'll be a spicemaster and what/how you cook wont matter because you'll be better at seasoning than 99% of professional chefs, and this WILL make you a good cook.
>>
>>7295054
This is terrible advice mostly because seasoning changes drastically when cooked. Herbs get more blurred, fragrant spices more fragrant, etc. etc. While it sounds like a good exercise, the fact is spending this much energy on it won't get you much farther than just experimenting throughout your daily cooking
>>
>>7295054
I hate this meme so much it literally makes me hot under the collar. It's the dumbest shit ever and it gets me every time
>>
>>7295012
>no garlic or onion powder
>no cayenne
>no chives
>no parsley
>no thyme
>no sage
>etc
>>
>>7295064
I thought it went without saying that you flip the quarters to cook them. A lot of spices and dried herbs barely taste of anything at all when uncooked.
>>
>>7294825
It really is easy, just go to costco and get their kirkland brand. Done and done.
>>
Things I can't live without:
Oregano
Pepper
cinnamon
nutmeg
cloves
cumin
basil
pepper flakes

fresh:
rosemary
thyme
mint

premix:
Old Bay
>>
>>7295071

I know, isn't it just the best?
>>
>>7295094
>tfw I've been doing it for five months without flipping the quarters
I thought I was well on my way to becoming a spicemaster. Now I find I have to start again. Feels bad.
>>
My essentials

s&p
Chili powder and cumin
Basil and oregano
Thyme
Red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper
Cinnamon

Less useful
Tarragon and rosemary
Cloves
Cream of tartar
>>
>>7294803
>everything is a blend
>paprika and saffron don't taste like anything
plebbest post of all time
>>
>>7294836
>>7297078
>taking the obvious bait
Was "5-12 types of pepper sauce" too subtle for you?
>>
>>7294939
Saffron?
>>
>>7294782
>I don't know shit about cooking.

>>7294803
This is a pretty solid list, in that case. The majority of my spices are bought to make my own "italian seasoning", montreal steak", "chili powder", et al.
Paprika and saffron DO have flavor, just don't buy cheap or outdated product.
And don't buy dried bay leaf. Ever. Buy fresh and store it in your freezer. Go easy on the fresh stuff, though; a single leaf will flavor a lot of food.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.