[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the most pretentious food?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 11
File: 1452337101144.jpg (84 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1452337101144.jpg
84 KB, 960x720
what is the most pretentious food?
>>
sushi
>>
>>7294759
are you fucking retarded? sushi is pizza tier food
>>
>>7294739
sushi
>>
sushi
>>
sushi cooked by my gf's husband
>>
whatever they serve at that one restaurant where they dump shit all over your table
>>
sushi
>>
>>7294739
home made coconut
>>
Coffee is real pretentious these days, sushi can be as well, anything "healthy and organic" is pretty damn pretetious where I live
>>
>>7294765
>pretentious
>characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved
>especially when exaggerated or undeserved
Sushi fits the bill pretty well.
>>
Jiro's Sushi
>>
>>7294739
raw vegan food
>>
sushi
>>
Food isn't pretentious, eaters are.
But yeah, sushi.
>>
Pho

I've tried so many variations of that stuff and every time it's been so dull and flavorless. Do people outside of SE Asia actually enjoy that stuff, or is it just a shitty meme?
>>
>>7294848
Then you've got people who accuse others of being man children for putting anything in their coffee. If you have to tell everyone about how adult and refined you are for drinking black coffee, you're an enormous faggot.
>>
>>7294800
You mean sushi cucked by your gf's husband?
>>
i'm going with sushi
>>
>>7294968
The quality of Pho depends on the quality of the broth, without delicious broth it's nothing special.
>>
>>7294997
Translation: sushi
>>
tea
>>
Truffles
>>
Anything with foam
>>
>>7294968
>>7295023
Pho is a peasant soup from Vietnam, popularized by the need for cheap ingredients during French colonization. Elitists that get in a tizzy about the authenticity or quality of broth are downright silly. Regardless of broth quality it's nothing special. It mostly comes down to personal taste; I personally like Pho.
>>
vegan
gastro fusion
sushi
coffee
>>
>>7294739
Anything decorated with real gold.
>>
hush puppies Daddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym7qxOeGsB0
>>
>>7294848
It sounds like you're one of those people who believe liking things is pretentious. There's nothing wrong with having interests and standards, anon. There's nothing pretentious when you're not pretending.
>>
>>7294833
>current year
>not activating your almonds
>>
>>7294968
I've only get Pho at this one authentic hole in the wall in China town. They got a big "B" on the building an their is a 2 other Pho chain restaurants right around the block but they suck in comparison.

If they aren't playing Vietnamese musicals on ice DVDs in the dining area while the father drinks tea somberly next to the kitchen, it's not real Pho.

There's about half a dozen ingredients in the soup that there is no English word for.
>>
>>7295169
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wtpo_colloidal-gold-as-a-dietary-supplem_news
>>
either subway sandwiches or sushi
>>
>>7294860
doesn't it matter on where you get it
I get all you can eat sushi in vegas for $25 all the time with friends
Its a bit different than other places to eat

I would personally say anything with gold flakes
>>
>>7295169
this wins. theres nothing more pretentious
>>
>>7295383
lol no thats not how that works
>>
>>7294739
Tofu
>>
>>7294739
The 3 F Foods:

Fungus.
Foie Gras.
Five Guys.

These are often the most pretentious.
>>
>>7294868
Vegetables?
>>
I would imagine the pretentious title being attached to foods consumed by elitists

Caviar
Truffles
1000 dollar a bottle wine

Foods inaccessible to most people
>>
Micro brews craft beers
>>
>>7295769

>THIS X 5000

Want to hear the most self righteous and pompous assholes go on for hours over nothing

Bring up micro brews
>>
>>7295767
Butthurt
>>
>>7295416
>subway

do you even know what pretentious means?
>>
Foie Gras
Kobe beef
truffles
>>
>>7295761
HAHAno, you know what i mean
>>
>>7294765
SO HOW ABOUT YOU JUST FUCKING EAT PIZZA THEN?
>>
Anything I don't like
Anything you like

>/ck/
>>
>>7295535
I know someone who bought gold papers for smoking their weed in. Does that count for anything?
>>
>>7296178
it's going to give him cancer in roughly a decade, so whatever that's worth
>>
>>7294739
Why does that porterhouse look like a pizza?
>>
>>7294860
And what other anon means by pizza-tier is literally that. It's like pizza. there are different levels of Pizza. You can get a pizza at a michelin star restaurant. But 99% of it is just quick food that you get for a daily meal.

FFS, they have sushi on conveyor belts. If that isn't an indictment of sushi as mass produced shovelfood I don't know what is.

Very few Sushi places try to be Jiro's.
>>
>>7294800

I'll be so glad when this shit goes away.
>>
>>7296217

I only have one sushi place where I live. it's ranked in my region. I suspect that they have somebody rush the fish from Seattle to flash freeze it. I know what makes good sushi and it isn't being purely fresh.
>>
>>7296227
Yeah, I've lived in flyover states too. But I don't really expect decent Lobster in them either. If I get seafood in Kansas for instance,I'm expecting fried shrimp. If I want good seafood there, I'm going to be going to some place that flies in the fish, and it's going to be upscale.

This is why I like to visit family on the east coast. I cram a year's worth of seafood consumption into a 2 week vacation.
>>
>>7295535
>Edible gold
Nothing says high class like making even your shit sparkle.
>>
>>7296233

>lobster

Yeah, I don't care about that shit. No offense, but it's not my jam.

I consider all my family on the east coast to be completely unholy after I saw them beat a trout on the head and leave it on the shore.

>"What, it's already dead.."
>>
>muh rare/medium steak

dude its just a slab of raw meat dumb fedora faggot
>>
File: 1448715623203.jpg (94 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1448715623203.jpg
94 KB, 750x750
>>7296254
>blue rare
>>
>>7295080
Shut the fuck up, stupid bitch. I didn't ask your opinion. Never reply to me again.
>>
>>7295626
this, it's literally pretending to be meat
>>
>>7294968
Pho is over rated and is barely vietnamese food. So, yes it is pretentious

>>7295169
this

>>7295168
all these

>>7296246
I work at a company that ships lobsters to china and around australia. I have no idea how lobsters are so highly rated...
>>
>>7295080
found the peasant
>>
>>7294968
This. It's a reasonably tasty soup that doesn't deserve the hype.
>>
>>7295374
tendon. The word is "boiled beef tendon"
>>
>>7295416
Sushi is the steak tartare of asian food. A great appetizer but i really don't really want to call a pile of raw fish a meal.
>>
There are none more pretentious than the French
The anti sushi meme needs to die
>>
>>7296254
Milksteak faggot spotted.
>>
>>7296997
High end Japanese is so much stuffier and more irritating than French fine dining.
>>
>>7294739
That dog looks so happy. Would hug.
>>
>>7295675
Foie is great! Get fucked
>>
Anything "organic"

Anything "fusion"
>>
>>7297036
T R U T H
R
U
T
H
>>
Sushi
>>
>>7294739

"Gourmet" versions of non-fancy foods such as mac and cheese
>>
>>7295767
>the pretentious title being attached to foods consumed by elitists
But if you actually are a member of the elite eating these foods isn't pretentious at all.

I would say no food is inherently pretentious. People are pretentious. Someone showing off buying a thousand dollar bottle of wine is no less pretentious than a poorfag trying to impress a girl by taking her to a meal at Red Lobster that he really can't afford.
>>
>>7294739
anything organic

vegan

anything famous tv personality sells
>>
Pho itself is not pretentious. It's the assholes who snicker amongst their friends when they hear someone ordering "fo" because they must be some kind of Fucking idiot for pronouncing the word the way it seems it should be.
>>
>>7297351
wait, than how is it supposed to be pronounced?
>>
Sashimi
>>
>>7297614
"fah" or something like that

watch anything the anthony bourdain and he's bound to be eating it
>>
>>7296194
No but he has a high likelihood of heavy metal poisoning
>>
I hate poutine fags who pretend its anything other than a mass of greasy slop.
>>
>>7297614
As in fuck.
>>
>>7297653
Gold is extremely non-reactive. I wouldn't be worried if the papers are literally paper+gold.
>>
>>7295770

>1990+26
>still calling it micro brew

Please continue to stay anally annihilated because other beer accompanies your favorite beer at stores now.
>>
>>7294739
Classless pieces of shit: Report from the flyovers - the thread
>>
>>7294968
It would be okay if it wasn't like licking a salt lick. It's always so goddamn salty.
>>
>>7295769
Either this or wine with a winefag. Food can be pretentious, but alcohol brings it up to another level.
>>
>>7297004
And under-seasoned as fuck, it's mostly so goddamn bland.
>>
>>7294739
A duck toller! 10/10 best dog, bros for life.
>>
>>7297982
How the fuck is craft beer pretentious? Do you live in rural Mississippi?
>>
>>7297658
Literally no one thinks that

Still delicious
>>
"Acai bowls" or anything acai related

>>7295374
Brissie?
>>
caviar, is or at least used to be pretty pretentious.
>>
polenta
>>
sushi
>>
Aioli if you count it as a food, like fuck man you made mayonnaise with garlic in it jesus fucking christ
>>
>>7296278
this is actually the first time i have laughed out loud to something on ck. i am gonna say this to more people here.
>>
>>7296217
>>7294765
Not the original anon, but I have to agree with sushi being a pretentious food, at least outside of Japan.

I live in a landlocked province of Canada, and there are 3 levels of sushi restaurants around my area: the buffet for $18-21, the slightly more expensive non buffet, and then the expensive 'make it look classy' sushi. People can easily find the same level of freshness in fish at the supermarket, but they will still go to the high class sushi restaurants and pay around 10x the price for the equivalent amount of fish. The fish is by no means 'fresh' either, it has been flash frozen and dethawed. But yet they still justify the cost. If that isn't pretentious, then I don't think anything qualifies.
>>
>>7299182
This.
>>
>>7294848
>Coffee is real pretentious these days

That's why I just mix straight caffeine powder in my water and drink that. Does the same job, with none of the drawbacks of coffee (bad breath, yellowing of the teeth, stomach ulcers, diuretic).
>>
>>7295767
>Caviar
Definitely the most pretentious food to ever exist. It is literally fish eggs. You can't tell me that anyone in their right mind would eat fish eggs, unless they thought it gave them some kind of distinction.
>>
>>7299225
I would eat anything that tasted good as long as it didn't look too disgusting and wasn't too harsh to animals/the environment.

I haven't eaten caviar yet, though.
>>
>>7296254
>He's never been to a real steak house

A real chef doesn't ask how you want your steak done, he just cooks it the best way it can be cooked. What you end up with is something between rare and medium rare. They obviously still ask just in case they get one of the shit heads that can't stand anything less than cardboard, but if they ask for well done, guaranteed the cooks fuck with your food.
>>
File: dying inside.png (476 KB, 390x499) Image search: [Google]
dying inside.png
476 KB, 390x499
>>7297351
>go to generic Asian restaurant with friends
>they bring us normal cutlery (fork, knife, spoon)
>friends ask for chop sticks because they are real Asian food enthusiasts
>I get them too because 'when in shanghai'
>get frustrated with chop sticks and go back to fork
>friends have that look of joy, like their ego was just boosted for being oh so ethnic
>sit through rest of meal being treated like the kid at the table

TFW
>>
>>7299228
Don't get me wrong, I'd try caviar, but I'm really doubting it would live up to the hype. And I feel like hunting one specific fish for it's eggs isn't great for it or the environment.
>>
>>7299225
Cod roe makes one of the best spreads for sandwiches there is.
>>
>>7299248
I believe most caviar comes from fish farms, including Beluga caviar.
>>
>>7294739
"Deconstructed" anything. The term "deconstructed" is literally a culinary in-joke euphemism for "I fucked up".
>>
>>7299243
I can use chopsticks, but when there's a fork available I'll use that instead. Then I calmly stare down the looks of disdain, quietly confident in my own abilities, knowing that each person who feels the need to seem superior about something like this is acting out of deep insecurity.
>>
>>7299444
I can use chopsticks and I do
>to pull fallen food bits from the stove grille while it is on
>to retrieve thin foods from the toaster oven
come at me
>>
>>7299449
Why would I? What you said has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.
>>
>>7294997
I don't put anything in my coffee because I'm an adult. I'm not saying like, I'm refined or some shit, but I have no free time and the extra minutes I need could make or break me. I have 6 cups a day, that equals to about 10 minutes I'd put into something unnecessary that I wouldn't even get a chance to enjoy anyways.
>>
>>7299243

I go to chinese restaurants where the chinks and the white people are eating the same food. The difference is the chinks get a bunch of stuff and share it around communally. That's when it makes sense to use chop sticks since you're picking and choosing stuff. White people style- pile it all on a plate- it's not only unnecessary to use chop sticks, it's more difficult.
>>
>>7296254
how about i just cook your some tendies wiv catsup? eat a dick faggot,
>>
>>7298522
Nah, they sell it in tubes to poor people over in Europe.
>>
Dragonfruit.

All the gear and no idea.
>>
Anything deconstructed.
>>
beer
>>
i dont know but i just ate so much pata negra i feel sick - why is it so good
>>
>>7294739
oranges
>>
File: white-truffle-oil-5oz.jpg (61 KB, 783x1057) Image search: [Google]
white-truffle-oil-5oz.jpg
61 KB, 783x1057
"truffle" oil
>>
>>7299213
>dethawed
why would you freeze something frozen?
>>
>>7299225
What are you talking about? Fish eggs are popular in a ton of cuisines.
>>
>>7300493
It sucks in the west, but it is really good if you get it fresh. I had some in thailand that was amazing.
>>
kale
>>
artisanal cocktails
>>
>>7300997
kale is just flat broccoli don't be a bitch
>>
>>7294739
plating is more pretentious than anything

although i mean some extreme post modern plating.

as for food tho, probably something like those macro gastro dishes. but then again i may just not be hip enough for the future
>>
>>7294739
Sushi
I hate this fucking undying meme food that's popular every twenty years.
The Japanese aren't that fucking brilliant, can we please stop sucking off their "culture"?
Sure, they're good at robots, but they use sticks to eat and haven't figured out how to apply heat to fish yet. I'll pass.
>>
>>7300672
people actually put this on poutines.
>>
>>7299219
And none of it's secondary benefits (Antioxidant, hepatoprotectants, vitamins)
>>
>>7294829
Holy shit this. I know exactly what you're talking about, but I don't have the pic saved on this computer. But the whole meal is supposed to be some kind of metaphor and the restaurant considers their food literal works of art.
>>
File: mostpretentiousfood.jpg (736 KB, 1500x703) Image search: [Google]
mostpretentiousfood.jpg
736 KB, 1500x703
>>7301453
Oh wait I found it. Alinea is the name of the restaurant. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't sell my soul to eat there though.
>>
>>7296254
>>
>>7297980
just like your post
>>
cheese
>>
>>7294739

Salad
>>
>>7299460

and yet you have time to post on a montenegran shoe enthusiast website
>>
>>7299460
yeah, dude. you're so busy you don't have time to put anything in your coffee. give me a fucking break.
>>
>>7301453
>>7301468
Where are you getting that it's supposed to be a metaphor? Quit talking out your ass, it's just a fun dessert after a big multi-course dinner that puts different foods out in an array of different consistencies.
>>
>>7301468
Dang. Everything on the menu is $210 each.
>>
>>7301468
Looks great, now how the fuck do I eat it
>>
File: 1450203356233.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1450203356233.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>7294860

>he didnt actually watch the documentary.

You know that that documentary is the opposite of pretentious and explains the humble beginnings of sushi going from street vendor food (which it still is) to high end cuisine. Give it a watch its got nice cinematography.
>>
File: 1452466306473.jpg (114 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1452466306473.jpg
114 KB, 500x400
>>7296227

this.

The prep of the bar makes a huge difference. Warm rice, cold rice, if they marinade the fish or not, the garnishes they put on it. I dig the variation from place to place
>>
>>7301468

I hardly call that a restaurant its more like an art house with edible live paintings. aka retarded.
>>
>>7299243
Oh god
>Out with faggy weaboo friends
>Always wants to go to fucking overpriced Chinese buffet
>Decide on Japanese steakhouse today, for the first time
>I order shrimp soba, they order "thing I saw on anime" with sushi
>They think I'm crazy for not wanting to try "thing I saw on anime"
>Get food
>I enjoy my food, but friends hate their food
>they never want to go back
Turns out the guy who owns the place and some of the workers hate weebs, so they fuck with the food just enough to make sure the don't come back.
The owner is actually pretty cool tho.
He loves to talk about guns and his insect taxidermy collection.
>>
>>7301468
So how do they make the rectangular dots? Is it the structure of the tablecloth?
>>
>>7302894
Yeah it's a silicon sheet. The different dots have different consistencies so they make different shapes.
>>
File: 1448773987152.jpg (6 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
1448773987152.jpg
6 KB, 212x238
>>7294800
>gf's husband

I'm with >>7296223 on this one, can we retire this meme yet?
>>
>>7294829
Is this real?
>>
>>7298499
>Brissie
nah
>>
>>7302299
You skipped the part about how they spend $300 for a few servings of cheap raw fish and rice which apparently takes years to master how to mold and present it. Honestly if you had most chefs make sushi and had Jiro carry the plate out they wouldn't be able to tell he didn't make it.
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.