[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to prepare an international menu with a couple of friends.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
I need to prepare an international menu with a couple of friends. We got assigned Asia and Oceania. Asia has shit desserts to be quite fucking honest with my familia, so this leaves Australia as the best option I suppose.

Hit me up with your best Aussie receipts for desserts.
>>
lamingtons are fantastic
pavlova is good too but its actually from new zealand
>>
>australian cuisine

We don't have much in the way of aus-specific foods.

Lamingtons are about the only "dessert" that comes to mind.
>>
>>7291146
Haha. You're not going to find anything of great interest.

There's some overlap with New Zealand, but check out neenish tarts, pavlovas, lamingtons, Iced Vovos, chocolate crackles, and fairy bread. Very unsophisticated stuff.
>>
B L O O M I N ' O N I O N
L
O
O
M
I
N
'

O
N
I
O
N
>>
>>7291146
>>
>>7291153
>>7291173
See, that's already better than I initially thought.

I think I'm going with the sponge cake and the pavlovas since my folks seem to appreciate meringue.

>>7291196
I would do this one for the fun though. Kek
>>
>>7291192
That seems more like a delicacy. Can't spend the whole menu on Australia unfortunately.
>>
>>7291146
You might be better off looking at native ingredients. Our traditional recipes are childish and bland. Not bad, but not impressive.

Search for desserts containing lemon myrtle, pepper berries/Tasmanian pepper, lilly pilly, and/or finger lime. Recipes you find will be unfamiliar to most Australians because settlers are only recently starting to explore the possibilities of our native plants in cuisine, but you can still convincingly claim they have an Australian flavour.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 501x294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 501x294
Just make a fuckin pav. We all pretend it's Australian even though it's nz, but nz is still Oceania right? Pavs are fuckin heaven. Heaps of cream, mango, strawberry kiwi fruit and passionfruit over the top.
>>
>>7291223
If you do this, make certain you use the passionfruit. That addition was our innovation. As minor a contribution as it is, it does improve the whole thing significantly.
>>
>>7291223
Looks good. Taking notes on the ingredients.
>>
>>7291205
Lamingtons are actually really amazing despite being simple.

Legend goes that bakers used to dice up their left-over sponge cakes from yesterday's batch, roll them in the chocolate and coconut and that's how Lamingtons came into existence.
>>
>>7291146
You've already got as much advice as there is to give, but I'd just like to note how weird it is to collapse Asia with Oceania for something like this. Even combining the entirety of Asia together has its problems, so adding the vast variety within Oceania is just making things ridiculous. This is a group of self-contained island nations, some of them dominated by European settlement, each one doing its own thing culturally. There is little in the way of common ground here.

Is it for school, or just some social dinner party game, or what?
>>
>>7291146
>Asia has shit desserts

>has never tried mochi ice cream
>>
File: 1360871787_anzac_biscuits.jpg (17 KB, 391x220) Image search: [Google]
1360871787_anzac_biscuits.jpg
17 KB, 391x220
ANZAC bikkies

Also my Nan used to make the best rhubarb pie.
>>
>>7291146
Pineapple right-side-up cake.
>>
>>7291375
Kind of funny, but I also feel you might have lucked into it by simply going for the standard "southern hemisphere = upside down" gag without appreciating the significance of the pineapple to Australian "cuisine."
>>
>>7291394
Blind luck, anon, blind luck.
>>
File: timtam cake.jpg (9 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
timtam cake.jpg
9 KB, 229x220
timtam cake (chocolate brownie slice with buttery chocolate-vanilla cream and chocolate icing)
>>
File: cake.jpg (14 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
cake.jpg
14 KB, 246x205
>>7291599
Golden gaytime cake- GOD tier ice-cream (caramel cake w/ vanilla filling and chocolate icing w/ biscuit crumble)
>>
File: iced vovo cake.jpg (221 KB, 614x409) Image search: [Google]
iced vovo cake.jpg
221 KB, 614x409
>>7291603
Iced vovo slice -another biscuit turned super-size
Biscuit base with with strawberry layers and shredded coconut on top
>>
>>7291609
Grossest so far.

How are Australians still alive?
>>
>>7291599
Cut out the chocolate icing and it's perfect.
>>
>>7291192
We don't eat those, sorry.
>>
>>7291644
>that one literal autist that always tries to be a smartarse and ruins the joke
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.