[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tortillas!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
El Milagro tortillas. Really good. Have to keep in cooler. Any of you cu/ck/s use em?
>>
>>7290662
I make my own.
>>
>>7290668
Corn or flour? I'd like a recipe either way.
>>
>>7290668
Sweet, share please. Need a tortilla press for that? These sucker are what Mexi bros buy when ain't nobody making them.
>>
>>7290668
>tips sombrero
Tell us about el nixtamalizado, m'don
>>7290687
A tortilla is corn by definition
>>
>>7290737
>A tortilla is corn by definition
No it isn't.
>>
>>7290737
literally every definition i just saw says corn or wheat. but then again you just posted this to shitpost, so why am i even responding?
>>
>>7290743
Tex-mex """"food"""" and the related abomination eaten on the other side of the border is not Mexican food
>>
>>7290754
>""""""""""""""""
awful
>>
>>7290744
So you can trigger his autism and cause him explain to you haughtily and in great detail exactly why you're wrong.
>>
>>7290662
These are okay if I am too lazy to make my own... I heat them up in the microwave in a damp paper towel.
I make corn tortillas without a press, you just have to be patient and creative with a pressing mechanism.

While El Milagro are okay, my favorite store brand is Tortilla Land, they sell uncooked tortillas in the dairy section of my Meijer (midwesterner here) that are just as good as what my gringo skills can manage from scratch...
>>
>>7290754
>I am a hipster from Connecticut
>>
File: HMS-White.jpg (128 KB, 1130x500) Image search: [Google]
HMS-White.jpg
128 KB, 1130x500
Big fan of these. The have a very nice bite.
>>
why do my corn tortillas always fall apart into fifty pieces while I am trying to eat
>>
>>7290801
>I heat them up in the microwave in a damp paper towel.
Why
>>7290836
Because you dont heat them correctly.
>>
>>7290848
How should I heat them?
>>
>>7290855
On a dry slab of iron until both sides have a bit of char
>>
>>7290834
>corn tortillas
>corn & wheat
>>
>>7290861
Can I do it in a cast iron pan?
>>
>>7290871
Yes.

I usually just heat mine up directly over a gas burner on my stove for a few seconds on each side until they just start to brown and char a little bit.
>>
>>7290875
Alright I will that then. Thank you, Anon.
>>
>>7290861
Or if you have a gas stove right on top of the burner with the flame low. Just don't turn your back on them - it goes quickly.
>>
>>7290834
>Big fan of these. The have a very nice bite.
Yea, they do have a great texture. I found them the other day and was quite impressed at the dense thicker gummy goodness.

OP, I don't make my own, but I do make arepas (thicker patties). The mix for it has a kind of "quick" or pre parboiled nature to it, so it's pretty instant to make. You pour over salted hot water or sugared hot milk with the arepa version of masa maseca, which is called masarepa, surpringly :P

Goya makes it. Anyway, I nuke the liquid in the microwave, sift in the mix, let it sit about 5 minutes so it's not boiling hot to pat out, and right into my cast iron with a little oil or butter. You can't really overcook them, so get them as browned and golden as you wish, the more the merrier. Enjoy them sweet and buttery plain, or keep going with some luscious salty or sweet cheese, or serve some eggs and salsa or beans with it, think black beans, or red beans, or like huevos rancheras. They are quite similar to a huarache or other yucatan goodies, but I think of them as Colombian really. Split them and stuff them like a taco, anything really. They are FAR less fussy than making your own tortillas with the press, kneading and resting it requires. The precooked masa is key to simple mixing and immediately patting out.
>>
>>7290662
I liked them, but I've only seen them in two stores, neither of which I get to on any regular basis. Aside from Trader Joe's and probably the Hispanic grocery stores I never go to, all the other corn tortillas in my area are full of gums and preservatives.
>>
>>7290826
Please, flyover. I am from a multicultural place, many of my best friends are Méjicaños. I bet you do not even enjoy tacos de lengua. Go back to chipotle, gringo.
>>
Fresh corn tortillas are really nice.

Packaged ones are really shit.
>>
>>7290801
36 cost $2.50 here. Food cost bra. >>7290848
I flat top them.
>>
>>7290908
Yes! Similar process with churro batter! Quick and easy.
>>
>>7290687
>>7290730
>>7290737

Flour tortilla's.

No need for a press.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour, plus extra for your rolling pin / work surface.
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 Cup shortening or Lard (most any fat will do, just experiment. I've used bacon grease, even olive oil, as long as the flour to fat ratio is about the same you'll be good.)
1 cup hot water

Add flour, salt, baking powder to a bowl, and mix.
Add fat ( I use crisco for convenience).
Use your hands, a fork, or whatever, to mix the fat into the flour mixture until the fat is distributed throughout the mix in coarse little crumb like pieces, similar to making a pie crust / pastry crust.
Then slowly add your water a little at a time until it holds together and can form a dough ball. You may not need all the water, you may need a little more, just add enough so that your dough ball is nice and smooth, and not coarse or runny.
Separate into 8 individual equal pieces, and form into little balls the way you would a pizza ball.
Cover, and allow to rest for 45 minutes, as this resting period will allow you to stretch it out easier.
After the rest, flour a work surface and a rolling pin.
Use your hand to flatten the ball, than use the pin starting from the center of the ball, and press out the dough from the 12 oclock, to the 6 oclock. Rotate 45 degrees, and again, use the pin to roll from center to 12 oclock, and down to 6 o'clock.
Keep working it until you get something that resembles a circular tortilla, and fuck it if it's not perfect.

For the anal retentive bastards, you can just roll out the dough and use a plate and knife to cut a perfectly circular tortilla, than just give it a final roll with the pin and you'll be good.

Place tortilla on griddle / pan on med-high heat until bubbles form, flip, allow the other side to cook, and flip as needed until done.

Too easy, really.
>>
That movie is just an absolute classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZSOBVfLHZs
>>
>>7290933
I live in chicago, a place that has more tortillerias than Mexico City.
>>
>>7291566
Which place has the best birria?
>>
Use golden (dorado) corn tortilla for chips or tostadas. Use white corn tortilla for tacos. Rather basic but nobody seems to know that here.
>>
Why the hell can't they just package the shit every fucking old Mexican lady makes? Every fucking one of them can make amazing tortillas, yet I can never buy them in stores. Either I go to a restaurant or wait for my oneitis' little sister's birthday.
>>
>>7291936
Taqueria Huentitan
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.