[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soylent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4 KB, 274x184
So, there's a new drink pwder out there called soylent that claims it is capable of replacing at least a couple meals a day. It's incredibly sustainable, apparently very healthy, and its all in one nature really appeals to me. It's fully vegan and has tons of nutrients as well. The problem is, I can't find any neutral press on it. Every article is either written by a soccermom who's pissed that anyone would want some "lab made frankenfood that's not on my paleo diet" or a paid shill for soylent. There's no real middle ground. So, does /ck/ have any opinions on the stuff, have you heard anything about it and do you think this shit is healthy at all. It sounds too good to be true, and I wonder if it'll come out in a year that this stuff causes super ass cancer or (ironically) that it contains people.
>>
>>7289110
>new drink powder
>new
The only thing new here is you, faggot.
>>
>>7289114
underrated post
>>
File: profile[1].jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
profile[1].jpg
55 KB, 500x500
>>7289110
>So, there's a new drink pwder out there called soylent that claims it is capable of replacing at least a couple meals a day
>>
>>7289114
I am new, this is my first time posting in /ck/. That is why I've come to ask. It's just that this seems very different from your standard ensure or carnation type stuff.
>>
>>7289110
I drink it. Its fine. Tastes like cake batter kinda. Meh. Theres not much to say. Is it filling yes. Would i never eat again for it fuck no. Is it good in a pinch? I like it for breakfasts. Sometimes if im still kinda hungry but dont plan on eating for the day.
>>
The inventor of Soylent only has a degree in marketing, not in nutrition.

You can make soylent-like shit yourself for far, far cheaper.
http://diy.soylent.com
>>
>>7289275
I thought he had a degree in engineering and not in nutrition
>>
>>7289110
The taste varies from person to person.
>>
>>7289350
I like you.
>>
>>7289275
Well, that's good. The stuff does seem awfully expensive. I wonder though, is a sustainable, full meal all in one food/beverage even possible? If, for some reason, I wanted to live in an underground shelter and eat only pre packaged, near tasteless nutrient gruel, is there a way to do that and keep the body in top condition?
>>
>>7289366

That's only true of the "green" flavour
>>
So, are there any other "super foods" out there? Stuff that combines everything you need quite nicely? Any that I could make myself. It doesn't even have to be a liquid. Is there some sort of nutrient bar out there that would work?
>>
think for yourself on this one

nutritional scientists with billions in funding have yet been unable to harness the technology to sustain life indefinitely with supplements

how can some retard with no nutritional education do it?
mashing up a multivitamin and putting it in a protein shake isn't gonna do it
>>
>>7289683
Im sure and fuck not defending the dude here, hes a grade a whacko who knows how to shill his shit to hipsters, it dosnt boil down to can they, its why would they, eating food and enjoying it is part of the human experience, yeah you can live on flavourless food paste day in day out, but jesus man, why would you want to? If you break down your macros and shit, you can make a substance that meets your DRI for everything, but itll taste like shit and be more expensive that just buying food to make.
>>
>>7289683
>>7289705
ok, but see, I really want to live on flavorless nutrient gruel. I'm not asking about taste. I assume it'll taste like shit. I just want to know if there is something that can fulfill most of my dietary needs that is all in one. Like, yes, i plan on eating some lentils and some fruit every now and again, and yes i also plan on mixing in some fiberous shit with my nutrient gruel, so I'm not saying "is this tha food of da FUTURE!?" I know that food tastes good and the pursuit of culinary talent is noble and all that, I just want to eat my nutrient paste because I like it. So, is this shit going to kill me, make me weaker, is it something hat could provide a stable food source if I'm busy or am trying to lose weight? That's all I'm asking. I have no illusions about it being able to sustain me with no other supplements for more than a week.
>>
The new "cure all." The answer to all our prayers.
>>
>>7289683

Well, technically, his stuff isn't supplements. It just uses the basic, even almost chemical at times, components of our food, and then just shakes it all up into a cake dough like weight gainer shake that factors in one's nutritional needs.

The problem with that is, and the one I agree with you here, is that if some one is willing to literally research that much on how much particular nutrients they need per shake, and then order them individually from online or buy it from the soylent jackass, then why the fuck aren't they just dedicating their time towards building a healthy diet in general that would make them even more healthy? They're not saving any money by buying soylent. It's not even going to make them all that much healthy either. In fact, it could even worsen their health from how soylent literally relies on you still eating regular food on a regular basis to balance it out. It's practically useless. It's a niche drink just to satisfy those people with a cyberpunk fetish, and it's been created by some one who is just cashing in on lazy motherfuckers who want to try out new things to brag and feel good about. For being a part of the future, or some shit. Fuck soylent.
>>
>>7289710

Buddy, if you want nutrigel, just do yourself a favor and blend your own shit together.

Soylent doesn't take into account if you need more fiber, or more protein. It just gives you almost the bare minimum. It's not a health shake. It's basically one of those slim fast shakes without as much sugar, and thrice the cost. Blend some shit with some oatmeal. Blend some shit with some leafy greens like kale and spinach. Blend some shit with whey protein. I guarantee you, you will create your own better bland as fuck nutripaste that's more healthy and cheaper, and then when you want to, you can start making them taste way better too down the road.
>>
>>7289110
Soylent Green is people!
>>
>>7289757
Ok, so, what I'm thinking is oatmeal, kale, whey protein, ketamine, flax seed, chia seed, lentils, carrots, bannana and maybe apple or grape. Is there anything you recommend putting into this concoction, considering that as long as whatever it is isn't literally meant to taste bad I can still stomach it?
>>
>>7289110
why are you too weak for a 500kcal diet and pestering us with such an expensive product?
>>
>>7289110
why not drink soylent with 3 meals a day?
>>
>>7289785
I literally know nothing about nutrition and was easily sold by their marketing campaign. Explain to me what I need to do. This is my first time on /ck/
>>
>>7289287
That's what I read. The guy was a software engineer who got annoyed by having to stop work in order to eat.

To me it totally makes sense for people working ridiculous hours under deadline pressure. I would expect to be popular at colleges, tech start ups, recording/video editing studios and anywhere else people tend to pull all nighters working. The military, too.

But for the average person who considers meals part of the day's pleasures and isn't working on an insane schedule I can't see it being anything more than a novelty.
>>
>>7289813
>insane schedule
well that is stupid anyway. fulfilling someone elses dream quicker thanks to soylent. if it is required during colledge and you have debt after ask why, maybe because you where ripped off. military? that is the only sensible reason but again, fulfilling someone elses dream.
>>
>>7289720
>In fact, it could even worsen their health from how soylent literally relies on you still eating regular food on a regular basis to balance it out. It's practically useless.

Is there a reason you're saying this? Any studies, or even some guy with a blog?

They claim it can replace all meals, and the nutrition sheet seems to back that up.
>>
>>7289602
don't know a lot about the topic but there's this:
http://www.mealsquares.com/
>>
>>7289833
What do you do for a living, anon?
>>
File: ASDYRFe.png (285 KB, 491x491) Image search: [Google]
ASDYRFe.png
285 KB, 491x491
>>7289110
>>
>>7289777
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7289833
>fulfilling someone elses dream.
Or your own. My dream was to work in the music industry. I have played on and been part of the production team for many records. Rarely are they made on anything that resembles a civilized schedule. When inspiration hits time disappears in the recording studio.

I'm married to a programmer who runs her own software consulting company with a number of Fortune 100 clients. She has the freedom to work from home most of the time, making decent money. If she wants to take a three week vacation she can, and she can do that a few times a year. But when she's on a deadline time disappears, and she still pulls all nighters.

If your dream is to have the autonomy that comes with being self employed sometimes the price you pay is insane work hours. The advantage is if you make your nut for the quarter in a month you can take most of the next month off if no particularly interesting calls come in.
>>
>>7289857
No one in here is even defending the product or even the OP. I know it's bait, but for gods sake, not every discussion of a product is shilling. Some people just want opinions on something that go beyond the mongs that post product reviews.
>>
>>7289890
I can dig that, man.
>>
>>7289110
It's not a substitute, it's a complement at most.
>>
>>7289941
It's an insult to any halfway functioning palate
>>
>>7289959
I feel like you could get a better meal if you just shoved a plate full of good food in a blender and drank it. All the nutritional benefits in a cool drinkable form!
>>
>>7289959
If the options were soylent or getting fat on fast food I'd go with soylent.
>>
File: goylent.png (768 KB, 682x869) Image search: [Google]
goylent.png
768 KB, 682x869
>>7289968
>fast food automatically makes fat

nice try, goylent shill
>>
>>7289974
To be fair, animal trials aren't indicative of long lasting effects on humans. I am by no means a supporter of Soylent. I will be a bigger believer when they do human studies to evaluate the long term consequences of the diet.
>>
>>7290004
If an animal that lives off trash gets sick from this I'll stay the fuck away from it
>>
>>7290020
You know that some animals die from eating cheese and chocolate tho
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>7289897

Here's my opinion: You and OP are full of shit. "Product reviews," my ass--this is a shill post, and you're helping.
>>
>>7289795
find a table with nutritional value. you require 43g protein/day from food, essential oils from 3 tsp rapeseed oil, vitamins and stuff from extended release vitamin tablet. 500kcal all together.
>>
>>7289350
>>
>>7290032
>this block of saturated fat
>this block of sugar and cocoa

still seems like a solid rule to live by
>>
>>7289890
right - I happen to work for a fortune 100
comp and my boss tells me that I am wasting money if I work an ineffective schedule. work as long as effective, nit as long as possible. you do not impress me with long days but with effective and constant results.
>>
>>7289720
I imagine the soylent future being an hospital food
Or even a frontline soldier lunch, maybe astronaut food too
Something like that
>>
>>7290036
500 calories per day? Are you a little person?
>>
>>7290035
Op here, I'll be honest, I'm not really looking to try Soylent any more. It sounds like gross fat kid food. As you'll notice, I am now asking other posters if there's alternatives to soylent that I can make at home and what ingredients I might need to do that with.
>>
>>7290053
And if you're hiring a consultant you don't give two fucks about their work schedule or habits - all you care about is that they provide the deliverables to spec and on time. If they spent the last month pulling all nighters and are sending the deliverables from their laptop at the airport before boarding a plane for vacation in Italy you don't have to know about it. They'll just check their email later to make sure everything is cool.
>>
>>7290020
That's a really good point anon.
>>
File: ensure-1jpg.jpg (27 KB, 358x295) Image search: [Google]
ensure-1jpg.jpg
27 KB, 358x295
>>7290079
>>>/diy/
>>
>>7290132
You're fucking kidding, we're not allowed to talk about making food on the friggin cooking board. By your logic, literally anything that isn't discussing pre packaged shit should move from /ck/ to /diy/
>>
>>7290249
>implying meal ^replacement^ shakes are food
>>
>>7289114
Rekt
>>
Yeah, all the dicussion above aside, don't drink soylent. The dude is currently getting sued by a consumer rights group or some shit because he manufactures this stuff in china, and it has mercury and heavy metal levels that are higher than US regulation allows them to be. And that's US regulation, so there's some serious shit in soylent. That aside, I've had it before, and it tastes like you're eating flour soup. It's lame, but if it does actually live up to it's claims, its pretty interesting.

I'd probably still be eating some once in a while if it wasn't for shit-tier chinese manufacturing
>>
I tried doing breakfast and lunch for a month. Was having fun sending my friends on fb daily progress, kinda like a parody of a blog.

Prior to this I was experiencing bad tinnitus. Really bad. Didn't know what the fuck was going on. Day 3 or so on the soylent I was experiencing extreme fatigue, brain fog, blurred vison, confusion. I didn't think there could be a relationship so I continued using it. So an ent diagnoses me with severe tmj disorder, sends me to a dentist to get fitted for a mouth guard to sleep with. I stop the soylent cause I figure who the fuck knows...

After about 2 weeks some of the symptoms started to wane a bit. now it about 3 months after my first diagnosis. I have some tinnitus still but the other shit went away.

Two weeks ago I got a gym membership and decided to go back on soylent so I could chug lunch and have time to work out during my break. 3 days deep the fatigue and blurred vision came back. I stopped the soylent and it went away again.

I can't say for certain it was or is a cause of any of this. I don't want to dissuade people from using the product because it all could have been coincidence. Maybe I just personally have a reaction to it.
>>
>>7290349
It's high GI due to low fibre and maltodextrin, so maybe something to do with that as well.
>>
>>7290267
Would you recommend some of the custom blends not from Soylent? They are usually not made in China as far as I know... I just want something I can stash at the house for times when I can't be assed to make a meal
>>
>>7289602
>http://diy.soylent.com
dog food
>>
>>7289782

Fuck the lentils. You got your kale, the oats (which aren't even necessary any more since you got those flax and chai seeds in there, but the complex carbs is good. That's gonna be a thick shake though with them in it), and the fruits. Carrots isn't very necessary unless you want more vitamin A in there, and plus, the orange will probably make the whole thing look barf brown instead of the green you got going on. Banana and apple are there more for the sugar since you got so much fiber going on already, and every one eats enough potassium as it is.

I would say the flax and oats will do a good job of making the shake bland unless the whey has a very sweet flavoring. Hold back on the kale because the lawn grass taste will kick in if you throw in a lot. That should do it for your nutrislurry. High as fuck in fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C and a small amount of vitamin B (if you throw the fruits in), good slow carbs, and all healthy.

You could throw in some multi vitamins, or just take them along with your slurry. If you want more calories in your slurry, blend in some coconut milk for your fats. If you want something more healthy, hell, blend in an avocado. You don't give a fuck.
>>
>>7290671
>I just want something I can stash at the house for times when I can't be assed to make a meal
if you're not lactose intolerant, just drink some milk. a couple times when i didn't have time for breakfast, i just drank about a quart of milk. i actually felt pretty good and stayed full for a while.
>>
>>7289720
that's why there's online tools and communities for sharing such recipes/formulations
https://diy.soylent.com/recipes

obviously quality and price can vary but you can make some good ones customized for your diet (and taste) for a fraction of the price of soylent.

Personally I use https://diy.soylent.com/recipes/brets-soylent-oat-rice-complete-low-price
I might be switching to one based off it in the near future but for 2 meals a day it's a great quick meal, especially in the mornings when I often dont have a lot of time.
>>
File: 1453273051177.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453273051177.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1080
>>7292018
Thanks I'll look into this, I just want it as an option for times just like that
>>
>>7289782

>>ketamine
Just put in some pcp mang. shits cheaper.
>>
>>7289110
It's made from people!!!!!!!
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.