[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh almighty /ck/, I seek your guidance and vast knowledge.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1446914009719.jpg (38 KB, 960x635) Image search: [Google]
1446914009719.jpg
38 KB, 960x635
Oh almighty /ck/,

I seek your guidance and vast knowledge.

I am a student. I'm broke, I can't find job.
My knowledge about nutrition is below average.

What do I eat, or what do I cook, so it is cheap and quite healthy?
What low budget ingredients will keep me alive?
I try to eat a lot of potatoes or frozen veggies, but it just gets boring. I try not to buy meat ( I'm not vegan, I'm just broke).

Tl;Dr : how do I survive on low budget?
>>
How low of a budget are we talking about here? If it's like, 20 bucks a week for food you can easily afford cheaper meat. If we're talking like 10 bucks that's more tricky.

Anyway buy a lot of:
Onion
Carrots
Cabbage
Garlic
Dried beans
Rice

Then buy some dried spices, cooking oil and salt. It shouldn't cost much and you can combine the above mentioned stuff in quite a number of ways.
>>
>>7289087

£10 a week. I can spend more but that will leave me without extra money.

Will all these provide me all nutrients I need?
>>
>>7289095
You aren't going to die of malnutrtion if that's what you're asking. But since I'm no nutritionist I can't tell you how "ideal" such a diet is.
>>
>>7289101

That's fair. Thanks anyway.
>>
Invest in macaroni and ketchup.
>>
>>7289087
I would omit the rice. No nutritional value.
Replace with sweet potato.
>>
>>7289293
Nice idea, but sweet potatoes are unbelievably expensive in the UK.

Grab some value oats as well though OP. Breakfast is important.
>>
>>7289080
buy in bulk

chicken breasts
eggs
milk
lots of frozen veggies
canned tuna
lots of whole grains
apples and bananas

basic nutrition: you need protein, carbohidrates and fiber the most, so balanced dishes like veggies for nutrients and fiber, chicken or meat for protein and whole grains for carbos are nice
>>
Find some recipes that use your boring potatoes and frozen veggies, there are hundreds of ways to cook shit like that. Google should be your best friend.

Rice
Beans
Carrots
Eggs
Potatoes
Frozen Veggies
Chicken Thighs
Oats
Bananas
Apples
Peanut Butter (Try to find a cheap brand without a fuckload of salt and sugar added)
>>
>>7289400
>there are hundreds of ways to cook shit like that
this. start using spices, herbs, and sauces, all of which can drastically change the taste of the blandest foods.
>>
>>7289412
the frozen veggies will also go well with soup, sauce and stir-fry recipes.
>>
These are the threads that prove we need a sticky
>>
>>7289080
I buy £30 worth of frozen & tinned food, plus veg like cabbage and cauliflower. Occasionally stocking up on 40p bread. Usually lasts me around 3 weeks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.