[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Americans make one giant vat of coffee in the morning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
Why do Americans make one giant vat of coffee in the morning and keep topping their mug up instead of just having their morning cuppa like a regular person?
>>
>>7288770
Because we like to do it that way. Its our custom.
>>
You should try having breakfast at a French person's house.
>>
>>7288770
Inferior brains destroyed by continuous consumption of copious fast food, obviously.
>>
>>7288770
Because they don't really enjoy coffee, they just want their wakeup juice to keep them going throughout the day.
>>
>>7288786

You can't really pretend that isn't the norm in most countries, despite 'murrican extremes.
>>
>>7288800
Normal countries make it a cup at a time as required though. Only in North America is it the norm to make one massive tub of the stuff first thing and drain it over the course of the day.
>>
We have more shit to do than the rest of you mongs
>>
>>7288825

>the norm to make one massive tub of the stuff first thing and drain it over the course of the day

I went to school in America and that is not the norm.

People who live in the middle of nowhere buy sugary coffee drinks, while everyone else enjoys better coffee shops than most of Europe at this point, and people who brew at home are autists who buy burr grinders and good beans and take two hours to learn how to have a good cup of coffee each morning.
>>
>>7288846
>autists who buy burr grinders and good beans and take two hours to learn how to have a good cup of coffee each morning
I regret nothing, caffeine pleb
>>
>>7288846
>take two hours to learn how to have a good cup of coffee each morning.

assuming you mean 2 hours one single time out of your life to have a good cup every single morning of your life then yes. correct.
>>
>>7288846
You're talking down on someone preparing their coffee themselves? On a cooking board?

go back to your fast food thread
>>
>>7288859
>>7288954
>>7288955
It's so easy to rack up (You)s on this board.
>>
File: pretending.png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
pretending.png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>7288964
>>
File: 1452968397415.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452968397415.jpg
111 KB, 1280x720
americans sleep like this so they need gallons of coffee to stay awake.
>>
>>7289047
Who took the picture? Spooky
>>
>>7288770
Most of America still uses coffee for its caffeine content. It is just part of our busy days. We get up, brew a pot of coffee for members of the household that drink it. Convenience is prioritized, as out business culture is one of punctuality, and long hours. We put the coffee in travel mugs and rush out the door. Most of us skip breakfast, or have something we can eat while we drive. Often a breakfast bar, pop tart, or bagel. When we arrive at our thankless wage slave jobs, we top off our mug from the company provided pot of coffee and work non-stop (unless we get up for a coffee refill) until lunch. We either eat at our desks, grab fast food, or something from a vending machine, and have another few cups of coffee. 5 o'clock comes and we keep pushing like madmen to finish whatever "absolutely essential" piece of work we swore to get done today done. (for free of course, since we're on salary) We then drag our asses home to a thankless family, and a cold dinner because we were late yet again. (While eating we will be bitched at for missing another kid's fucking sporting event) At this point the coffee is wearing off, so we collapse into our recliner and pass out watching whatever drivel the wife has on Netflix. Eventually we realize everyone else has gone to bed, and we drag ourselves to the bedroom, strip down, sleep until 6 am, and do it again. And again. For 50 years. Coffee isn't something we drink for enjoyment. It's self-medication. It's how we stay productive when we're empty husks of men.

We also don't get anywhere near the time off that the rest of the world does. After 5 years with my company, I now get 3 weeks a year off. We get a grand total of 6 holidays off.

We are constantly under threat of being replaced by outsourcing, or automation. So, we work the 50 hour weeks, and we don't bitch about how we're underpaid compared to people in our fields internationally.

But hey. All the coffee you can drink.
>>
>>7289089
>sleep until 6 am
I wish.
>>
>>7288770
Idk good question.

Why do you call it "cuppa" instead of "cup of coffee"
>>
File: niggaboo.gif (96 KB, 450x562) Image search: [Google]
niggaboo.gif
96 KB, 450x562
>>7289380
I suppose the kids today are trying to bring back ebonics.
>>
>>7288770
Because we're better than you, in literally every way. Open wide yuropoor, your wife likes my cock good and hard.
>>
>>7288770
why do Europeans make one giant vat of brownskin semen in the morning and keep topping their wives up instead of closing the borders and trying to solve your denbt crisis like a regular person?
>>
i'm not american but the most memorable cups of coffee i've had have been in the usa..

they know what they're doing
>>
Because I drink coffee throughout the entire morning.
>>
>>7289418
Well she is rather petite, I wouldn't be surprised if she enjoyed things being more her size for a change.
>>
>>7289047
jesus christ that's so bad

and now i realize why i have so many fucking back patients
>>
>>7288770
why are people pretending itt that americans drink coffee throughout the entire day?

it's perfectly fine to make a giant pot of coffee and drink a couple of cups throughout the morning. the rest of the pot goes to (and this will really blow your mind) everyone else who wanted a cup. i've literally never seen a coworker drink coffee after eleven.
>>
>>7289515
You don't know many coders. We live on coffee.
>>
>>7289527
have you tried sleeping?
>>
>>7289542
Not much. It's just expected as a coder that you're going to work long hours. if you want any kind of social life, it's at the expense of sleep.
>>
>>7289047
I sleep like that because heartburn
>>
>>7289564
I used to. Omeprazole is your friend. As is a change in diet.
>>
>>7288825
Right like I'm gonna clean out my coffee machine 3 times every morning so I can have 3 cups instead of just brewing them all at once
>>
Depends on the person, really. Culturally you usually only see pots of coffee with families (lots of cups at once) or corporations (regular brew as people tire out)

That was why keurigs did so well, a single cup on demand was actually something clapistanis didn't know they wanted until it was there.

Most Americans have shit taste in coffee though.
>>
>>7289614
I wish Keurig as a fad would die out. It's a fucking waste of landfill space. A similar sized screen and filter would do the same thing for less waste, and be nearly as easy to use.

Not to mention easier on the pocketbook.
>>
>>7289576
I take nexium religiously, it's GERD compounded by chronic gastritis

>120 lbs
>doctor tells me the condition can be fixed by weight loss
>>
>>7289665
>doctor tells me the condition can be fixed by weight loss

Are you 4 foot nothing?
>>
>>7289655
Keurigs are terrible, buggy shitters with over expensive single servings of coffee that taste like shit no matter what you do.
>>
>>7289692
no I'm 5'2"
>>
File: 1450871180059.png (444 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1450871180059.png
444 KB, 800x600
>>7289715
manlet
>>
File: CoffeevsSoda.gif (13 KB, 499x288) Image search: [Google]
CoffeevsSoda.gif
13 KB, 499x288
>>7288770
Americans have never been fond of drinking "just plain water", and until the popularity of bottled water in the 1980's few did. Back in the pre-Prohibition days when corn liquor was cheaper than milk Americans fell into two categories: people who didn't really drink alcohol and people who drank a lot of the stuff. With Prohibition the coffee break replaced Elevenses and the soda shop replaces the corner bar. Coffee and soda replaced much of the beer and liquor Americans had been drinking up until that point.

Per capita coffee consumption in America peaked in the late 1940's, but has been pretty steady for the last 15 years. Older Americans are more likely to treat coffee as a beverage casually drunk throughout the day. Younger Americans favor soda.
>>
>>7289089
That is what whiskey is for.
>>
>>7289527
Same story in my field. (Motorsports R&D.)

We work tons of late nights and all-nighters, because we're doing big, complicated, experimental things on ridiculously short notice and with hard deadlines.

Coffee and other sources of caffeine are pretty much the only thing that keeps us going.
>>
How do you guys drink coffee? I tried it 2 times and hated it.
>>
>>7292183
I tried it three times
>>
>>7288774
>gf is French
>go to her parents house
>Lunch goes for 3 fucking hours
>>
Some people like to drink many cups of coffee throughout the day, shitty or otherwise. A thermos is a decent means of not letting it get cold.
>>
>>7292183
I was a teenager when I started first and had it with sugar and milk eventually I liked it black

People say it's an acquired taste but I don't know if it works for everyone. Drinking a lot of wine has never made me liked it
>>
>>7292183
I started with milk, slowly reducing the amount and then moved onto black coffee. Even then I only took small sips and would take like an hour to finish it whilst I read. Can't go a day without it now
>>
>>7288770
most do...
>>
>>7288770
>cuppa
Anyone who says this needs to be shot

Also I make one cup at a time you shitposting aussie fuck
>>
>>7289089
>tfw reading this while being NEET master race
holy shit man, people call me useless but when i read shit like this I want to fucking kill myself
Thanks for the NEETbux checks I guess, livin the dream for all you 9-5s out there
>>
>>7292517
Can americans even get neetbux?
>>
>>7292549
Honestly gaming the system isn't hard its just tiring. Slip the right doctor some cash to diagnose you with some bullshit and claim disability, you have to do a few check ins with some government employees every now and then but no one cares enough to ACTUALLY look into it.
>>
>>7292554
I mean I live in a welfare state and that doesn't even work here since eventually they'll find a minimum wage job for you and force you to work
>>
Why not best of both?
I brew up about a litre in the morning and drink it before heading to classes. You get a big mug of coffee AND your 3-4 morning cups.
>>
>>7289089
I love reading shit like this, knowing it's probably written by the same cucks who also get mad when they meet people who drink water, tea, or sugar-free health smoothies all day, completely convinced that these people who live a healthier lifestyle secretly hate what they are doing and have conditioned and disciplined themselves to eat healthy, exercise, and sleep early in a solid and continuous system for the sole purpose of lording above coffee-sipping office slaves and being pricks through the dual sins of living a decent life and of telling people what they do in their decent life. You listen to the one healthy and happy guy in your office talk about the paleo meals he's been trying and then you snicker grimly with the other slaves in your office about what a sucker and a douche that guy must be, then you grab another cup of tooth-blackening, heart-stopping addictive poison, drop it down your throat, and return to your thankless life, cursing the heavens that life is unfair and there is no possible way for you to find meaning in your 9-5 (or 7 to 9 with no paid overtime) life.

Coffee tastes okay but caffeine treats my body like shit so I hardly even touch green tea these days.
>>
File: cute_anime_pic_0055.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cute_anime_pic_0055.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>>7289089
>americans
>>
>>7292811
>animu
>>
>>7288770
Because sometimes you want more than one cup of coffee in the morning. Is this really an issue?
>>
>>7289089
>tfw American
feels bad, pepe
>>
>>7289089
>tfw american reading this
>tfw now considering the merits of suicide
>>
>>7289089
>When we arrive at our thankless wage slave jobs
>(for free of course, since we're on salary)

hmm...
>>
File: 1451529109090.png (41 KB, 142x150) Image search: [Google]
1451529109090.png
41 KB, 142x150
>>7289089
Glad im a neet then would hate to have a job.
>>
>>7288770
FRESH PAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7289380
it's britbong
>>
>>7288770
what's with that fucking picture?
>making a cup of coffee gonna be good
>I think I'm gonna take a picture of this to post on instagram brah
>OOPS I spilled coffee beans everywhere
>well fuck it take the picture anyways
plebs
>>
>>7295564
They're called stock pictures, my dear simple friend.
>>
>>7289655
it's an option. some people do use their keurigs that way. just not nearly as many people as I wish would.
>>
>>7295564
yo, real talk, stock photos are fucking hilarious. if you aren't trolling and don't know what they are, you'll shit yourself laughing at the astonishingly awkward stock photos that exist.
>>
>>7288825

My parents always made a big pot of coffee in the morning, had a cup or two each and put the rest in a thermos for later. Once the coffee was finished from the thermos (or got too cold to drink), they made a new pot. I'm not American. I make my coffee a cup at a time though because I only make it for myself.
>>
>>7289089

I don't think I could live like that. I also don't get how anyone has to work that much. I have a minimum wage job at a grill and I have more money than I can spend. I guess it's a different story if you live in the US and you had to pay for college, you have a family and a mortgage.
>>
>>7295907
Sounds like there's a lot of government subsidy going on in your country. When that bubble bursts and you're forced to live off the value of your actual societal contribution, you're going to be screwed unless you prepared yourself while you had the chance.

Look at Ireland and decide whether you want that to be you.
>>
>>7295919

I don't get any subsidies because I can support myself. My rent is just pretty low (I share a one room appartment with my SO) and I don't buy stuff I don't need. But you're right, there are a lot of government subsidies. Not as much as there used to be though.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.