[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was gifted some fresh sansho peppercorns recently. When I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: sanshojarphotoIII.jpg (47 KB, 198x297) Image search: [Google]
sanshojarphotoIII.jpg
47 KB, 198x297
I was gifted some fresh sansho peppercorns recently.

When I was first given them I was told to try one whole, and it was a combination of sticking your tongue on a 9 volt battery with a strange flavor I'd never had before.

I was then told to try drinking some water, which turned out to be like drinking extra carbonated, citrus soda with the sansho still in your mouth.

Now I have a decent sized bag of them but have no idea what to do with them.

What would you do?
>>
>>7288768
>Epic Spices
wow I hope the founder of that company has a deadly scorpion lurking in his fedora
>>
>>7288772
god forbid someone besides Unilever and Yum Yum brands advertise on here.
>>
File: 1408145363223.jpg (607 KB, 2000x1414) Image search: [Google]
1408145363223.jpg
607 KB, 2000x1414
>>7288768
I ask you what other kinds of peppercorn there are and what type would pair well with a medium textured fish without compromising the simplistic favor of brown rice?
>>
Make up your own shichimi maybe (traditional Japanese seven spice chili powder).

It works with lots of things. In Japanese dishes specifically, any miso, dipping sauce for noodles, grilled eel, fried chicken, or teriyaki chicken. By extension I think a lot of fried or grilled recipes could benefit from it.

I think it's closely related to Sichuan pepper, so lots of Chinese dishes work well with it too.
>>
>>7288772
>>7288783

That's a google image...

Regardless, I've been to the Epic Spice shop and met the owner, and if he tripped once a month on /ck/ he'd probably be the most popular threads here.
>>
>>7288789
Damn. Someone really swallowed the Mark LaRue koolaid.
>>
>>7288789

Ignoring all the clutter on the table, it's the fork that triggers me the most, even sitting next to that entirely inappropriate knife.

Do people even care about food anymore, or just shovel it into their mouths?
>>
File: 1408263348405.jpg (767 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1408263348405.jpg
767 KB, 2560x1600
>>7288791
I'm not a fan of my dish's texture overwhelmingly spiced if I haven't eaten the meal more than a fair share of times.
And considering I don't live in Asia, and what you will find where I am is mostly imitation aside from the chicken I would take my chances with a regular pepper.

Besides, I like knowing what all meals I may plan in the future might taste like now with regular pepper before I start ordering new blends, considering I'm quite certain I cannot find that stuff in my local stores, or I just haven't looked hard enough.
Bookmarked that site, might actually try some sometime.

>In response to OP
Buy a grinder and try new tastes, and if Sansho pepper is any different from your average pepper, try that shit with a steak senpai.
>>
Sansho is great on grilled chicken. It's popular on yakitori in the Kansai region.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.